Michel Daoust

Videowave Closes When Adding Sound

I am a user and a fan of Roxio Creator suite for many years and it is the first time I encounter this problem.

On Creator NXT Pro, every time I try to add music to my Videowave montage, it closes without any warning or error code.

I had installed Creator 2010 on this computer and Videowave was functionning perfectly.

I have try many things like deinstall these 2 suite with Revo and reinstall only CREATOR NXT, redownload Creator NXT Pro from Roxio download site with security turn off and reinstall, try with mp3 or wav or aac or wma files.

Always the same problem.

My computer is a HP dv6-7073 ca running on Windows 8, 64 bits

It has 8g of RAM and 1t hard disk

The processor is an Intel i7 3610qm

The graphic card is Intel HD 4000

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Now insert your Roxio Disc (download version - run Install)

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where Repair is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

Thanks for your answer Jim, but the problem is still there after doing what you said. Do you think that I can do a clean installation on Windows 8 following the instructions of The Highlander for Windows XP? Adobe Photoshop Element 10 and Adobe Premiere Element are factory install by HP on this laptop, can they be in conflict with Videowave? How the Music library is linked to Videowave?

I have contacted Roxio support service.

Here is what they suggest: http://corel.force.com/index/articles/en_US/Master_Article/000012481-Error-VideoWave-has-encountered-a-problem-and-needs-to-close

I did all that, especialy download the version 11 of DirectX, wich I think was already on my computer.

Someone has an another idea how to cure this problem

After hours and hours of trying to find a solution to my problem, i have finally found what was causing the problem of videowave closes when adding sound.

A friend of mine told me he had no problem with Videowave in NXT pro. We verified what was the difference between his version and mine. We discovered that he did not installed Smart Sound on his version. So I have uninstalled with Revo every programs or data relating with Smart sound and even Sonic fire pro. And bingo, everything seems to work fine now.

When I will have more time, I will check which part of Smart Sound or Sonic fire makes the trouble with Videowave. I do not think Sonic fire was in case.

Any advice would be appreciate.

The problem reappers.

I have try all the solutions suggest by Corel expert. These solutions mostly refers to the knowledge base

I even have done a reinstallation of Windows 7 and upgrade again to Windows 8 Pro

Always the same problem

Videowave seems allergic to music files!

Seems the common factor to all of this is your music files???

Try this:

Use ONLY Roxio to Rip from an Audio CD.

Try adding those files to a VW Project ~ start a new one, just slap some video & pics together

What happens?

Here is a solution that has been suggested by Ralf Jayrald from Corel Support Services:

I will try to resolve you main concern since I believe I already handled the same case issue like yours. Here's my suggestion and troubleshooting steps.

I think I figure out the issue by reproducing the same project and getting the same error that you have in the add audio part. It seems like the consistent application crash of Videowave was caused by the temp files which is created upon encountering the error. Videowave always recognize the broken or corrupted temp files which is the main cause of the software crash. I also figure out that you will need to change the folder name or the location of your own music so the history of the temp files will also be reset.

I would suggest you to clear out your temp files by following the instructions in the article below:

http://corel.force.com/roxio/articles/en_US/Master_Article/00013519-How-to-remove-Temp-files-from-Windows-to-resolve-multiple-software-and-system-issues

In addition, I would like you to change the location of your own music folder or rename the folder before you try to import using add background music.

Here is what I have done:

I have done a clean reinstall of Windows 8 pro and redownload some photos, videos and music. I have reinstall Roxio Creator NXT and try again a project in VideoWave. Same problem when I have try to add music, it crashes. I went into TEMP folder and try to delete the files that were there as you have suggested. I have a message that it was impossible to delete them because they were used by the Proxy Manager, so I reopen VideoWave and went into Tools and Options and I delete the Proxy files (C:\Users\Rouky1\AppData\Roaming\Roxio\EMC14\VideoUI\Proxy).This procedure seems to work, I now can add music but I have to do it each time I open VideoWave. Do you have a permanent solution? Thanks for your help.

This guy Ralf Jayrald from Corel has been very helpful. He responded to my post on Corel support case in less than a few hours.

Ralf have responded that there is no permanent solution to that issue.

Does somebody know how to handle this Proxy manager? On Windows 8, I do not find any trace of this Proxy manager. I have looked on my old XP pc with Creator 2010 the Roxio Proxy file in the Explorer and I have seen a lot of files that are there causing no functional problem.

Good to know all the things you've tried that do not work. I've also tried "run as administrator". Also moved all my Roxio DVD files to simpler directory names off the root. That worked for one project, then broke for the next one, Just found another workaround. This also does not last. But it works as a repair every time I have the problem, so that has to be a big hint for the developers if they are reading this support page..CLEAR YOUR PROXY DIRECTORY This too only lasts until the next time you try to load another music file. (see VideoWave, Tools, Options. Beside Proxy - there is a path, and also a button to "clear".

Edited by gckirk

Good to know all the things you've tried that do not work. I've also tried "run as administrator". Also moved all my Roxio DVD files to simpler directory names off the root. That worked for one project, then broke for the next one, Just found another workaround. This also does not last. But it works as a repair every time I have the problem, so that has to be a big hint for the developers if they are reading this support page..CLEAR YOUR PROXY DIRECTORY This too only lasts until the next time you try to load another music file. (see VideoWave, Tools, Options. Beside Proxy - there is a path, and also a button to "clear".

The developers do not read these posts since this is not a Roxio site but only a users forum.

You did not state what problems you are having so there is no specific help for you possible.

I do not understand what you mean by "moved all my Roxio DVD files to simpler directory names off the root". Why?

Proxy files are created each time you open a project unless they exist already. Clearing them once in a while is standard practice. The proxy files speedup the loading of a project especially if you use audio files in your project that are not in the wav format. For example, Videowave does not use mp3 files directly but first converts them to wav files before using them. These wav files are stored in the Proxy directory. The next time you open the same project, the wav file already exists and does not have to be converted again thus speeding up the loading.

myguggi: This post was a response to a thread "Videowave Closes When Adding Sound" which is the only symptoms discussed. I did not feel the need to restate. He reported Windows 8, which aligns with my experience as well. The author reported it to Corel/Roxio and was given several suggestions. None worked. Also my experience as well. The thread has no conclusion. I was hoping if he still has the problem ticket open, he could confirm for his own benefit, and discovery back to them. When the symptom begins to occur, it stays broken. You can't even open a new audio folder. Starting a new project does not resolve it. I've had issues in the past with using "libraries" in Windows where the path was exceptionally deep, so I experimented with a simpler path. It appeared to work at first, (as did several of the other suggestions proposed by Corel). But now I believe that was just because I used all new audio files too, effectively changing the contents of the proxy cache. The problem returned again shortly after.

• Like 1

I am glad to see that I am not the only one having this problem. As state before, I have done about everything to resolve this issue. I even returned to Cosrco the laptop I have bought thinking the conversion from Windows 7 to 8 was the problem. I bought a new PC, the Samsung Smart Ativ pro, a wonderful toy mixing full pc and tablet and Videowave works ok. But a few days ago, bang, the problem occurred again: Videowave closes as soon as it tries to open a music files. May be, among the great number of updates of Windows 8, there is one causing the problem, but wich one?

I have found a way to work with Videowave despite this problem. I have realized that Videowave can manage or open one or two songs before crashing, so before working on a new production, I copy and paste on my desktop in individual file the song (one file for one song ) I will use. With that method Videowave has to open only one song at the time. So far, it works. Not the best way may be, but I can now work with Videowave waiting for a fix from Roxio.

I have noticed that when I try to add a music file and Videowave crashes, that some Windows files will not open ie: Control Panel, Disk Management etc. (Windows 8 from start menu in lower left corner).

Running CHKDSK shows an error relating to the Roxio NXT Proxy file. I have placed a copy of part of the CHKDSK report below from the event viewer. The error shows that a file in the NXT Proxy folder owns the same logical clusters as some Windows/System32 files.

Running CHKDSK does fix errors but on reboot there is an error that Windows 8 cannot fix. It tries to restore to an earlier time. This time I was lucky. Windows 8 did restore to an earlier time and booted up ok. 2 weeks ago the same error happened but Windows could not fix it. I had to go back to an earlier image I had backed up.

Hope this helps diagnose the problem.

Event Viewer partial log of error:

Checking file system on C: Volume label is Local Disk. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

Attribute record of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x3 is cross linked starting at 0x149604c for possibly 0x40 clusters. Found corrupt basic file structure for "\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM <0x3,0x36249>" ... repaired online.

File "\Users\Ohno5\AppData\Roaming\Roxio\EMC14\VideoUI\Proxy\iproxy5_0002album.jpg.png <0x44,0x23a72>" and file "\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM <0x3,0x36249>" both own logical clusters [0x149606b, 0x149608c) ... queued for offline repair.

I can't tell if this has been resolved, but here is my experience. I have tried to follow discussion of this problem but I also found a workaround. I am running Windows 8 on a Dell XPS8500. I found that if I opened a new folder on the desktop and populated it with the audio clips I wanted to use, VideoWave would still fail and crash Creator NXT. But, if I took an audio clip from the first project and added that to the folder on the desktop, there was no failure. I can't explain the phenomena, but if I removed the audio clip from the prior project, it would fail again. I took care to clear the folder fom the desktop before I started a third project and following the same process, I had no problem.

• Like 1

Thats some good detective work Rndrobin! It works. :) I didn't send in my error report as my 14 day tech support has long ran out. I hope the Roxio programmers will catch our posts. Have been with Roxio since DVD recorders first became affordable.

I'm having the same issue with Creator 12 version of Videowave, I think I have a clue as to the issue, it is with MP3's audio files. All the files I have tried to add are MP3's. I have issues with both PhotoShow & VideoWave even dying when opening the directories with the MP3's. I'm going to convert the MP3's to WAV before trying to add the files to Photoshow & VideoWave. If that fixes the problem, I know what to tell Corel Tech Support. I'm not upgrading to NXT until this is resolved.

I'm having the same issue with Creator 12 version of Videowave, I think I have a clue as to the issue, it is with MP3's audio files. All the files I have tried to add are MP3's. I have issues with both PhotoShow & VideoWave even dying when opening the directories with the MP3's. I'm going to convert the MP3's to WAV before trying to add the files to Photoshow & VideoWave. If that fixes the problem, I know what to tell Corel Tech Support. I'm not upgrading to NXT until this is resolved.

Are you running Windows 8? It seems all the posters in this with problems are running W8 and NXT.

I am running Vista and C2012 and have no problems adding mp3 files in PhotoShow or Videowave.

Hello,

I also have windows 8 and the same problem. Is there any solution or do we have to live with the fact that we bought a expensive program that doesn't work properly? I hope someone has a solution. cyclemouce, The Netherlands.

Hello,

I also have windows 8 and the same problem. Is there any solution or do we have to live with the fact that we bought a expensive program that doesn't work properly? I hope someone has a solution. cyclemouce, The Netherlands.

Have you tried adding the audio files as wav file?

I have the same issue. :(

Wow, well obviously I am not allowed to comment that I am having the same problem as the poster and have tried the same things they have. Good to know this about this forum. Doubt I will post again here. Thanks for the help on my unrelated post!

Edited by krosenkranz

You already started you own Topic, no need to but into somebody else's conversation :huh:

Edited by Jim_Hardin

I had the very same problem back in May when I tried to import music into my Videowave production. I found the remedy in a previous discussion group (I don't remember where). Here is what worked for me: In Videowave - go to the top of the page to "Tools" - open "Options" - at the end of "Proxy Files" hit "CLEAR". This worked for me and my Windows 8 w/Creator NXT. Hope it works for you. Ed in Pennsylvania

Has anyone noticed a relationship between the crashes and when using a file or folder name that has an apostrophe, hyphen, period, or some other non-letter/number character? When this happened to me I was able to add a file from a folder titled Beachbeat Shaggin' once. Next time I tried to add a file to a new project it would crash on me until I renamed that folder to something else without the single quote. It seemed to work fine until I tried to use another file with an odd character in it, then it would crash again until I cleared the "proxy". Not sure they are related but just checking. Could be something in their code that runs into a problem with characters in the path name.