LLAMARAMA

Pc Output Resolution From Capture Card

Question

My monitor is normally at a crisp clean 16:10 1920x1200 ratio up until i plug my capture card in.

When my pc his hooked up to the capture card the resolution changes from what it should be, to 16:9 and 1920x1080, it also drops my monitors refresh rate from 60hz down to 25hz allowing me to go as high as 50hz for some reason making my image boxed and gritty to my eyes and i hate it.

So i was wondering how do i change what the resolution of my capture card is, so that i can capture on my monitors proper size? Ive tinkered in the control panel for about 3 days now and other stuff but i cant change it because it doesn't recognize the screen size as even being a possibility for me to choose or the ratio.

Edited by LLAMARAMA
  • Like 1

shouldn't that not matter with the graphics card for pc only with xbox and ps3 systems?

Do the Xbox and PS3 systems support higher resolution than 1080? Again, and I'm guessing here, it may not be a strictly pass-thru situation and the game capture device may tell the video card (as your monitor does) what resolutions it supports, the highest being 1080i. And since the game capture device is the closest to the video card, that's what the video card gets its information from and sets accordingly. Again, I don't know the internal workings of the device, and I've only connected it using the component video connections, not HDMI.

I run mine at 1920 X 1080 and nothing changes when I use the device.

I see some color difference depending on if I use HDMI or Component...

HDMI:

post-39730-0-27730400-1356372627_thumb.jpg

[/b]

Component:

post-39730-0-26904100-1356372624_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim_Hardin

now im just confused... what am i doing wrong?

and this is for a pc not an xbox or ps3? I also got a picture i can post of what it looks like with the border but not sure how to post it here.

Edited by LLAMARAMA

http://www.imageurlh.....<br /><br />you can see the picture here now

I was able to do some scaling with the AMD catalyst center software, and this is what it looks like, but its still kinda "gritty" looking on my display and not crisp, everything has a type of glow to it when letters are clumped up in a text.

The one on the left is the monitor without the capture card, and the image on the right is the pass through image.

http://www.imageurlh.....<br /><br />When I viewed the 2nd picture here on a different computer, I didn't see the glow or grittiness like i do on my own computer. So I now think that maybe its just my monitors reaction to the capture card but its coming through clear in the end when captured or streamed live?

Edited by LLAMARAMA

Pic posting info, HERE

What is hooked up to the Left one?

post-39730-0-35566500-1357357240_thumb.jpg

The Right one?

I don't see a great issue with these 2???

post-39730-0-86206000-1357357243_thumb.jpg

How do they look normally?

So the top two are a picture with a normal digital camera, the left is my smaller DVI hookup where i run software, and the right is the HDMI pass through.

They now normally don't have that border in the first picture, i was able to scale it out, but it still looks gritty, brights and glowing on text and fine details.

The 2nd picture is a screen shot of my screens and it looks fine on other computers, i noticed when i opened it at the school library to check the thread.

So i guess the grittiness and brightness im seeing is my monitors reaction to the graphics card passing through the capture card?

Edited by LLAMARAMA

Running 2 widly different monitor sizes can produce some unexpected changes but if they work OK most of the the time then it is the device.

But you can't (practically) expect a pass through to never change anything??? It would be great but it doesn't work like that in the real world.

To be sure, is This the border you are talking about?

post-39730-0-51037800-1357483501_thumb.jpg

Review with me, did we establish that you are running STOCK setting with your video card and haven't tried to overclock it or tweak it in any way??? (gamers often create their own problems :wacko: )

Edited by Jim_Hardin

yes that is the border I was talking about, and this is my first capture card so I did not know that it was normal to get that result in quality with a pass through. ty for the info.

I was getting the border when i was running the stock settings, I was able to fix the border when I go in and change the scale of the resolution at 1920x1080.

I think the capture card isnt made for my 1900x1200 monitor in mind.

I have also started using the 1.2rc version of xsplit and it has made a lot of my problems go away.

I think the output from the RCG is a max of 1920 X 1080...

Whenever you have 2 very different monitors you can have some trouble finding settings that work well with both :huh: