• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Blu-Ray Will Not Play Back All Movies

dackman

Question

I made a disc image of six HD videos in Blu-ray format with a menu, and saved it to my desktop. It took over 24 hours to do this. I burned the disc and put it in my player. Up came the menu, all working, and I played the first video. All working so far. Unfortunately all of the other 5 movies, which were exactly the same format, give an invalid disc error and will not play. Does anyone know why? I know I haven't done anything wrong here. Very frustrating.

I should add that I used Toast 11.0.3 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz i7, 8Gb RAM, OSX 10.8.2.

I have downloaded 11.1 and will see what the result is. The first thing I noticed was that the menu style I had used (Splash) had gone! Great start...

Edited by dackman

5 answers to this question

Splash is gone? That is the one that is in the Toast application itself so it should always be present. I suggest trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and possibly reinstalling Toast 11.1 (available from Roxio's software updates page.

The problem with some titles not playing on all Blu-ray players has come up many times in the past. It may be that authoring the DVD with Toast 11.1 will fix the problem. You can mount the existing disc image and drag in those videos so they won't need to be encoded again; just multiplexed. That will save a lot of time.

D'oh - I mounted the disc image but it is re-encoding everything. I think my installation of Toast may be at fault. Never mind. I will let it complete, then trash the files you mentioned and see if Splash comes back. If it doesn't, I'll do a total reinstall. I'll post back the results.

I've aborted and then resorted to force quitting Toast 11.1. I deleted the app, restarted, reinstalled, restarted and loaded the app. The Splash menu is still missing. I still have the older version 11.0.3 and when I load that the Splash menu is there.

Looks like 11.0.3 burns unplayable discs, and 11.1 can't even make a disc image. Pretty pathetic. I'll try Toast 10, as I still have that as well.

I've aborted and then resorted to force quitting Toast 11.1. I deleted the app, restarted, reinstalled, restarted and loaded the app. The Splash menu is still missing. I still have the older version 11.0.3 and when I load that the Splash menu is there.

Looks like 11.0.3 burns unplayable discs, and 11.1 can't even make a disc image. Pretty pathetic. I'll try Toast 10, as I still have that as well.

The Blu-ray plugin with Toast 11 disables the previously installed Toast 10 plugin. So you'll need to reinstall that to make a Blu-ray video disc with Toast 10.

It is extremely strange that the Splash menu isn't appearing. Try this: control click on the Toast application in the Finder and choose Show Package contents. Open the Resources folder that's inside the Contents folder. Inside the Resources folder is a Toast Menu Styles folder that should contain the Splash menu for both standard and widescreen. Are they there? If so, I don't understand how it doesn't appear in the menu list. It might work to copy those to the other location where Toast stores its menu styles. Open your root Library and open Application Support>Roxio>Toast Menu Styles. Drag in copies of the Splash menus. Now launch Toast.