• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc 8.05, Imho, Not Ready For Prime Time

donb1948

Question

Just wanted to describe the problems I’ve had as a result of installing EMC 8.05. (I opened a ticket with tech support last week but have not gotten a response yet.)

I have used EMC since its “Easy CD Creator v4” incarnation. Prior to installing EMC 8.05, EMC 7.5 was running on my machine without any major problems. When EMC 8 was released, I decided to upgrade to see if some of the minor operational & interface annoyances of EMC 7.5 were removed. After installing EMC 8.05 (purchased the program via download and NO, I did not mistakenly use the retail disk update), I thought everything ran fine. However, you should be aware that I only use the simplest of the CD and DVD writing and “drag & drop” functionality. (The video & audio stuff is just baggage for me. I have other programs for that. All I want is the fastest, most efficient and reliable cd/dvd writing program for backing up photographs and miscellaneous investment & financial data files on the run between my routine full HD backups.)

Just before leaving for my Christmas break, I decided to add some cds to my iTunes library and synchronize my ipod. iTunes worked fine, including playing mp3 files. However, the moment I put a cd in my drive to add to the library, iTunes froze. The only way out was to use my machine’s reset button. Windows Task Manager was useless for getting the system unfrozen. Since EMC 8 was the last major change I’d made to the system, I uninstalled it. Sure enough, iTunes then worked fine and could read cds again. I tried reinstalling EMC 8.05 using about a half dozen variations and nothing helped. Anytime I put a disk in either my cd drive (Plexwriter Premium) or dvd drive (Plextor PX-716A), iTunes froze. I checked and updated the firmware in both drives and iTunes still froze. I later found the same thing happened with Windows Media Player 10. WMP worked fine until I put a cd in either drive. It would then freeze and the only recourse was the always dependable reset button. After uninstalling EMC 8.05 a “final” time and kicking myself for letting the unconditional 30-day return period elapse, I went back to using the Windows CD Writing Wizard (which is a pain) until I tried to write to a disk that was initially created using EMC and I got an error message that the format (cd-R) was not recognized. At this point, I decided to revert to EMC 7.5 and consequently reinstalled it. However, now EMC 7.5 would not read either the cd or dvd drive!!! So, I thought “Screw it! Back to to Wizard.” However, after I uninstalled EMC 7.5, both my cd and dvd drives could not be used by windows. Using Device Manager, I found that both drives were marked with the Yellow Exclamation Points and a message to the effect that the drives’ drivers could not be initialized with an error identification “Code 39.” (By the way, at this point, I was rather pissed off.) Uninstalling the drives & drivers via Device Manager and reinstalling did not help. Physically removing, rebooting and then re-installing the drives did not help. Deleting every driver associated with the drives that was not published by Microsoft did not help. Searching my drive for every occurrence of “Roxio” and deleting the file, folder, etc did not help. Using a registry editor to find & delete every key containing the word “Roxio” did not help. What did work was using the fix described in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article for Easy CD Creator 5: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us . For now, I’m back to using the Windows CD Writing Wizard and will not even consider reinstalling EMC version whatever until an update is released. As already mentioned in another thread, IMHO, EMC 8.05 is NOT ready for prime time!! YMMV.

4 answers to this question

Just wanted to describe the problems I’ve had as a result of installing EMC 8.05. (I opened a ticket with tech support last week but have not gotten a response yet.)

I have used EMC since its “Easy CD Creator v4” incarnation. Prior to installing EMC 8.05, EMC 7.5 was running on my machine without any major problems. When EMC 8 was released, I decided to upgrade to see if some of the minor operational & interface annoyances of EMC 7.5 were removed. After installing EMC 8.05 (purchased the program via download and NO, I did not mistakenly use the retail disk update), I thought everything ran fine. However, you should be aware that I only use the simplest of the CD and DVD writing and “drag & drop” functionality. (The video & audio stuff is just baggage for me. I have other programs for that. All I want is the fastest, most efficient and reliable cd/dvd writing program for backing up photographs and miscellaneous investment & financial data files on the run between my routine full HD backups.)

Just before leaving for my Christmas break, I decided to add some cds to my iTunes library and synchronize my ipod. iTunes worked fine, including playing mp3 files. However, the moment I put a cd in my drive to add to the library, iTunes froze. The only way out was to use my machine’s reset button. Windows Task Manager was useless for getting the system unfrozen. Since EMC 8 was the last major change I’d made to the system, I uninstalled it. Sure enough, iTunes then worked fine and could read cds again. I tried reinstalling EMC 8.05 using about a half dozen variations and nothing helped. Anytime I put a disk in either my cd drive (Plexwriter Premium) or dvd drive (Plextor PX-716A), iTunes froze. I checked and updated the firmware in both drives and iTunes still froze. I later found the same thing happened with Windows Media Player 10. WMP worked fine until I put a cd in either drive. It would then freeze and the only recourse was the always dependable reset button. After uninstalling EMC 8.05 a “final” time and kicking myself for letting the unconditional 30-day return period elapse, I went back to using the Windows CD Writing Wizard (which is a pain) until I tried to write to a disk that was initially created using EMC and I got an error message that the format (cd-R) was not recognized. At this point, I decided to revert to EMC 7.5 and consequently reinstalled it. However, now EMC 7.5 would not read either the cd or dvd drive!!! So, I thought “Screw it! Back to to Wizard.” However, after I uninstalled EMC 7.5, both my cd and dvd drives could not be used by windows. Using Device Manager, I found that both drives were marked with the Yellow Exclamation Points and a message to the effect that the drives’ drivers could not be initialized with an error identification “Code 39.” (By the way, at this point, I was rather pissed off.) Uninstalling the drives & drivers via Device Manager and reinstalling did not help. Physically removing, rebooting and then re-installing the drives did not help. Deleting every driver associated with the drives that was not published by Microsoft did not help. Searching my drive for every occurrence of “Roxio” and deleting the file, folder, etc did not help. Using a registry editor to find & delete every key containing the word “Roxio” did not help. What did work was using the fix described in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article for Easy CD Creator 5: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us . For now, I’m back to using the Windows CD Writing Wizard and will not even consider reinstalling EMC version whatever until an update is released. As already mentioned in another thread, IMHO, EMC 8.05 is NOT ready for prime time!! YMMV.

[/size]

The MS article was written when XP was first introduced and MS thought Adaptec/Roxio were the problem.

Since then it has been noted that the removal/install of any burning software can cause the Filter problem… Fact is that it is unique to XP and has become so commonplace that I think the filters should be deleted as part of the shutdown/restart procedure!

It also appears that you were formatting some discs with D2D. Once formatted, a disc is only writable using D2D. Unless you are willing to learn the in's and out's of packet writing you should blame the program for you lack of computer knowledge.

Apple has never been known as a team player. Itunes is no exception and generally it is accepted that it may have to be re-installed whenever any audio software is installed.

<snip>

It also appears that you were formatting some discs with D2D. Once formatted, a disc is only writable using D2D. Unless you are willing to learn the in's and out's of packet writing you should blame the program for you lack of computer knowledge. <snip>

Wrong, dude. The disk was never formatted as d2d. Contrary to your supposition, I happen to be quite familiar with packet writing as that has been one of the main reasons for staying with the Roxio products.

<snip>

Apple has never been known as a team player. Itunes is no exception and generally it is accepted that it may have to be re-installed whenever any audio software is installed. <snip>

Whoops, forgot to say. I also re-installed iTunes. Again. No Joy. Nevertheless, what has whether Apple is a team player got to do with WMP not working? As noted, the only thing that worked was uninstalling EMC 8.0. Also, consider the obvious... everything (including itunes & WMP) worked with EMC 7.5, initially.

BTW, I'm not posting here to start a pissing contest. I'm just letting folks know my experience. As always, Your Mileage May Vary!

Same problems here and very unsatisfied with the level of support and access to support literature. EMC 8 was obviously released in time for Christmas...

:)

Wasted a lot of my time figuring out how to clean up my system after EMC8. Back to EMC7...barely.

This discussion forum software is crummy too... Lose the silly avatars and smileys and get down to business. Search functions return errors on a regular basis... lame!! There's probably one guy at Roxio being paid a piddly salary to maintain this forum.

Same problems here and very unsatisfied with the level of support and access to support literature. EMC 8 was obviously released in time for Christmas...

:)

Wasted a lot of my time figuring out how to clean up my system after EMC8. Back to EMC7...barely.

This discussion forum software is crummy too... Lose the silly avatars and smileys and get down to business. Search functions return errors on a regular basis... lame!! There's probably one guy at Roxio being paid a piddly salary to maintain this forum.

Hey dsuggitt....

shows how much you read this site.... here are a few facts (most people here have said this in one form or other)

1. there are no roxio staff on this site full time, there are a few like Patrick who give there free time here to help as much as he can... as to all the rest of us here , we are all non roxio staff (or paid by them)

we all started like you with issues...

2. bagging roxio here dosnt get seen by them, it just gets anoying..

3. insted of bagging them get your self active and post your issue and see if users here can help.....

or 4 move on.....

Archived