Roxio Failed To Burn (Extended Error: Oxfffe84Ce).

AudreyMP

Question

I have an external drive for burning my DVD slideshow I created in the Roxio Creator 2012 program. It is composed of 520 pictures and music is running in the background. When I attempt to burn this project to a DVD-R, the program will not recognize my external DVD burner. Frustrated, I tried to drop the file into the driver icon on my desktop and then select burn the file. It gave me the message: Roxio failed to burn (extended error: Oxfffe84ce).

I read several topics on this site related to burning issues and selected the repair option on the Roxio installation disc. This didn't change anything.

I came back to this site and noticed that there may be a patch to download to fix this problem and I downloaded it, but when I attempted to run it, it said that the software for this patch was not on my computer. Hmmm?

I then read some more topics and saved my file as an image (ISO file) and tried to drop the file into the disc driver icon on my desktop again. It gave me the exact same message.

I am really frustrated and don't know what else to do. I am NOT a techie person, so please make your answers very simple. I have XP as my operating system and my external drive is plugged directly into my tower and it has burned a mini version of this same project two months ago (only about 30 pictures with music). The external drive is an LG Portable Super Multi Drive model GP10NB20.

My computer is fairly old I think the info that may or may not matter (Intel R, Pentium R, 4 CPU). Let me know what else I can provide to get an answer.

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

How long in time is your project? If you are using a single layer DVD, the most you can put on it is ONE HOUR at best quality. For a double layer DVD, TWO HOURS.

You can squeeze more but the quality will go down. Do you want the best possible quality? Do you know what a DIVX file/disc is? Does your DVD player play DIVX files?

Edited by sknis

My project is only a little over 28 minutes long. I do want the best quality. I haven't changed whatever the default quality level is for the project (don't know how). I don't know what a DIVX file/disc is. The player has burned a smaller version of this slideshow about two months ago doing the exact process I've been trying, which is to say placing the project icon into the burner icon. Only now it won't do anything.

I am using Magnavox DVD-R DVDs 4.7 GB Data 120 minutes Video 1-16X speed.

Any ideas?

My project is only a little over 28 minutes long. I do want the best quality. I haven't changed whatever the default quality level is for the project (don't know how). I don't know what a DIVX file/disc is. The player has burned a smaller version of this slideshow about two months ago doing

the exact process I've been trying, which is to say placing the project icon into the burner icon.

Only now it won't do anything.

I am using Magnavox DVD-R DVDs 4.7 GB Data 120 minutes Video 1-16X speed.

Any ideas?

Re: External drive. Is it A USB connected drive? Use Windows to eject it , wait a couple of seconds and then plug it back in. You should hear a confirmation tone. Use a USB port on the back of your computer, never use a HUB.

Re: Patch, you may already have it installed. Where did you get Creator 2012?

28 minutes for over 500 images? They will go past quickly (one every 3 or so seconds)? :blink:

I don't understand the comment where I bolded the text. What are the names of the applications you are using?

Do you want to make a data disc or one that will play on a DVD player?

If you are using 'Create DVD" from the video tag. do not use the default level, use the best quality setting. Encode (burn) to an ISO file and then use the burn ISO to disc on the home data page.

How to set quality:

post-58-0-49817700-1354971109_thumb.png

How to burn ISO file

post-58-0-96485100-1354971167_thumb.png

This (link) is the process if you want to burn a slide show to a disc that will play on a DVD player: Note that the names of the programs on the Home page have been changed. Video Wave is now "Edit Video Advanced", etc. You should be able to work out what is what. If not, come back and well help.

Edited by sknis

Well, I'm not sure what happened, I'm starting to believe it was merely a bad blank DVD disc, but I did read everything you sent. I unplugged my external burner which was plugged into two USB ports in the back of my tower and waited about 20 seconds and plugged it back in and that didn't do anything.

I then went into the production again and saved it as an ISO file, but with the highest quality option that you suggested. I then decided to try a different blank disc in the off chance it might work and hallelujah it did burn!!!! I am soooo thrilled. Is it common that those blank DVDs are bad?

Yes, it was 4 seconds per photo--which is plenty and all is good in life with this stress done. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I really, really appreciate it.

Great that you were able to get the project burned.

Yes, bad "blanks" are common with less than the top quality discs. I you want to buy local, Verbatim has been very good in the past. If you are going to buy more and have no immediate need, then JVC Toiyo Yuden has been very good. You can get these only from an on-line retailer. I'm using the past tense because some things have changed and the actual manufacturers of the disc that are sold to the name brand have changed. Even with the best there may be a bad disc but they are less frequent.

Here is more information on DVD blanks.

Edited by sknis