• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Disk Image Created With Toast "sometimes" Will Not Mount...

stantastic

Question

I have been using Toast for years and never had any major issue with it, but over the last view versions I keep receiving the following error on a disk image that was originally created in Toast:

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" -- with options to Initialize, Ignore, and Eject.

This is a disk image of approximately 8.55GB in size, large enough to store files and burn to a DVD+R Dual Layer disk. What I do is back up data from my hard drive to the disk image, burn it, then delete all the data on the image, load it up again with more data, and repeat the process. I have a folder structure on the image that stays consistent from one backup disk to the next. And there was a time when I NEVER had a problem.

But for quite a while I've been getting the error described above. It's not even repeatable -- sometimes the image mounts as expected, other times I get the error.

I tried creating a NEW disk image on an external drive and doing the same thing -- again, sometimes the error shows up, sometimes not. I've found that an occasional reboot of the system will sometimes fix the problem, but not always.

I'm currently on a 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB of memory, plenty of disk space, Mountain Lion 10.8.2, and the latest version of Toast 11 Titanium 11.1 (1072).

Does anybody have a good, logical answer as to what might be causing the problem? Thanx...

4 answers to this question

I have seen that when mounting a Blu-ray disc image but not for a standard DVD. Even so, when I choose Ignore it still mounts. It's not repeatable for me, either. The next time I mount the disc image the message doesn't appear. My guess is there is something not quite right with Toast's "Mount It" tool.

I haven't graduated to Blu-Ray yet, but it's happening on my DVDs. When I click "Ignore" nothing happens -- it still won't mount. If I then try to click the Mount button in the dialog box AGAIN, usually NOTHING happens the second time. I don't even get the error. Toast just stares at me -- mocking me :-(

I haven't graduated to Blu-Ray yet, but it's happening on my DVDs. When I click "Ignore" nothing happens -- it still won't mount. If I then try to click the Mount button in the dialog box AGAIN, usually NOTHING happens the second time. I don't even get the error. Toast just stares at me -- mocking me :-(

Hmmm. There are three ways that Toast can mount a disc image. One is using the Mount disc image in the Toast Utilities menu, another is to select the disc image when Image File is selected in the Copy menu and the third is to use the Mount It contextual menu in the Finder (control-click on the .toast file). Do any of these work when the other fails?

I'll create some video DVD disc images today to see if this happens on my system.

I've tried both of the first two methods. The second method is usually my option of choice (actually I double-click the image file and Toast comes up in that mode -- it says Read from: followed by the name of the image file, then I click the Mount button). That's when I get the error. I rarely, if ever, use the Mount It contextual menu.