• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd-R Vs Dvd+R

droberts34

Question

My Roxio Creator 2010 When doing a disc copy will not accept DVD+R blank disc. It keeps giving me a message to insert a blank disk and opens the drive. It works fine with a DVD-R disc. I have reversed the drives so it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue. Both drives claim to support DVD+R and DVD-R. I'm not really sure I know what the difference is between DVD or CD +R and -R.

5 answers to this question

My Roxio Creator 2010 When doing a disc copy will not accept DVD+R blank disc. It keeps giving me a message to insert a blank disk and opens the drive. It works fine with a DVD-R disc. I have reversed the drives so it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue. Both drives claim to support DVD+R and DVD-R. I'm not really sure I know what the difference is between DVD or CD +R and -R.

Is the source disc a DVD+R disc, or is it a DVD-R disc? In the older versions, it seems to me that both discs had to be the same. I haven't used Disc Copy, to copy from one disc to another, for a few years, so I could be wrong.

C2010 has a copy disc not disc copy, correct?

My C2011 Pro copy disc will copy a DVD-R closed to a DVD +R.

post-97-0-81684600-1355012304_thumb.jpg

DRoberts34,

Please see the Roxio Help system for your Creator 2010 by clicking the help button while you're running the Copy Disc function in the Home application.

Here's the relevant part from my Creator 2010:

post-208-0-60590000-1355026462_thumb.jpg

You'll notice that it will not copy to a DVD+R blank disc unless the source disc is DVD+R, or a single-border [single session] DVD-R.

If you have a multi-session DVD-R source, you're going to need a DVD-R as destination.

DVD- and DVD+ are slightly different disc formats adopted by the two major groups of appliance manufacturers. DVD+ is the newer format, and is a little more versatile than the old DVD- format.

Initially, at the time of the big 'Them vs Us' wars, burners were built to handle either plus or 'dash' discs. Modern burners will handle both types, but you'll occasionally trip over a relic of the bad old days such as the problem you've just encountered. Keep some of each type to avoid this problem.

Regards,

Brendon