Write Speed Dropped With Version 11.1 (1072)

cortig

Question

Hi All,

I recently updated my install of Toast from build 1063 to 1072 and immediately noticed that something was wrong. Toast is now consistently writing my DVDs at a speed of 2X max (over 5 DVDs I wrote today).

I reinstalled 1063 to check and even though the burner is qualified for 16x and the DVD-R I am using are too, it's burning at an actual speed between 5 and 8x. Not great, but already quite a bit better.

Is that a bug in the new version? Any suggestion?

Corentin

Mac Pro 2x3.0GHz Dual Core Xeon, 16GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770, MacOS X 10.7.5

Dual SONY DVD RW DW-D150A

Verbatim DVD-R DataLifePlus blank media.

Edited by cortig

8 answers to this question

That's strange because 1072 resolved a burn speed issue that was present in the earlier 1063. In fact, other users (myself included) had just the opposite of what you're experiencing. Something you might check is what speed is selected in Toast after the blank disc is recognized. I usually do not select "Best" but select a specific speed. Maybe yours has 2x selected.

I have tried to play with that already since I also suspected it could be an easy culprit. I manually selected to burn at 12x and it still wrote at 2x very unfortunately.

It indeed looks like 1063 had a write speed issue since I wasn't able to burn any faster than 8x, but it looks like the solution that was implemented is not a good fit for my setup :-/

Corentin

I that note, when I tested back with build 1063, it was using the exact same settings as when I was using 1072… So it's yet another reason why I really don't think it a simple matter of having the right speed selected.

Corentin

Unfortunately I cannot think of any reason the speed slowed down with 1072. It sped up for me. You can do the traditional troubleshooting of trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your Preferences folder. Do avoid using the "Best" setting for the speed, though. Choose an actual speed.

OK, I just made another test. Instead of simply deleting the .plist I uninstalled the app using AppDelete to scrub all sign of the application.

I reinstalled and tried again and this time, the write speed progressvely rose with peak write speed at 14x :-)

Quite a difference.

I didn't check the average write speed at the end bit the DVD was written in 4-5 minutes which is something I had not seen for a while with this build…

Corentin

• Like 2