• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rip From Cd To Mp3

club210

Question

Roxio Easy CD&DVD DE Home V. 10.3.106 came installed in my new Dell Studio EXP 8100 Win 7. I want to rip some CDs in the MP3 format but do not see this selection in any of the options available. The "check for LAME MP3 encoder information" prompt leads me to a download site but I cant figure out how to initiate the LAME encoder once I have downloaded it. Is this the issue-no encoder-or is it not possible to to rip to MP3 with this product at all?

Can you help in answering my question? Thank you.

11 answers to this question

Club210,

The issue is that you have no CODEC installed. Once you have a decent MP3 codec installed, the MP3 option will show.

The LAME site only offers you source code which you need to compile. Many pre-compiled MP3 CODECs can be found with an Internet search for "MP3 codecs".

Regards,

Brendon

Looking a little deeper, he is right!

The Music Disc Creator from the NXT Version (Left) and the one in the Dell Edition (Right) are different :huh:

post-39730-0-72873100-1356817515_thumb.jpg

This is why we refer to the OEM's as Cut Down :lol:

There are plenty of free ripping programs out there or you can do it in a 2 step by ripping in WAV (good choice) and outputting an MP3 Disc (using RW?) and then copying them back onto your HDD...

Apples' iTunes is one that comes to mind:

post-39730-0-50921500-1356818054_thumb.jpg

Brendon,

I have been to the LAME site but had trouble figuring out where the applicable file was to install. I also use Audacity and discovered I couldnt convert to MP3 there either. Got the LAME encoder for them and installed it in program files as instructed and it worked. Have lame_enc.dll placed in Roxio program file in the same manner but no go. Might I have an OEM version from Dell that surpresses MP3 format? As you can see, MP3 is not an option instead of just not working as one of several.

Cheers,

Club210, Buffalo N.Y.

PS-Visited your great city a bit ago,hope all is well now.

While replying I missed the cross-chatter. Seems unlikly to be able to modify the OEM. My usage of Roxio for ripping had its genesis in the relative slowness of iTunes for the same purpose. Guess I'm back where I started. Looking at other rippers for MP3s now,too.

Thanks to all.

Club201,

My hope was that you were merely short of the right CODEC. Jim's thought was that your version was cut-down by Dell for some reason and would never rip to MP3. My hope fell flat when I tested it.

I now concur with Jim. I stripped ALL the audio codecs except WMA and PCM from my system and ran my commercial version 10.3.104 to rip a CD.

Easy CD & DVD burning still ripped to a very nice 256kbps MP3, even though nothing on that system could play the MP3s without the codecs until I restored them.

It appears that LAME 3.97 is built into my commercial version Roxio software, but has been removed from your DE version. I'm sorry, but when software has been castrated like this, there's very little short of a rebuild that will restore its function.

Unless you can pick up a used copy of 10.3.104 on eBay, you're looking at other rippers for MP3.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks again for your attention to my problem.

I have found a pretty snappy ripper that is quick, versitile and simple in design-fre:ac. I'm using the latest 64bit version and it has several speeds/quality options. Comes with multiple codecs so no need to download specific encoders(LAME for instance).