lutherk

File Recognition On Upgrade To New Computer

Question

Hi

I'm thinking of upgrading to the latest version on a new computer and tranferring files from my existing computer. My main use is making careful audio mixes.

The last time I did this, Creator didn't recognize my existing mixes on the new computer. I think the files addressed in the mix ended up with slightly different pathnames on the new computer. I lost years of work. I'd rather never upgrade than go thru that again.

Has Roxio figured out a way to re-establish file addressing on a new computer as part of the upgrading process? Or has anybody else figured out how to manage this? Thanks, friends!

7 answers to this question

If you're talking about project files not working then I could see that as a definate possiblity.

The project has the paths to the files on your computer that make up the project,not the actual files themselves.If those paths don't match when you go to the new computer then the project won't work because it won't be able to find the files.

Let's say you have all of your music in the My Music folder on your computer and then when you move to the new one you make up a new folder called Music Projects.

When you open the project it won't work because it'll be looking for the files in the wrong place.

As long as you have the files in the exact same location as on the old computer it should work but the paths have to be exactly the same.

Thank you, sknis and tbrewt. I think you are both right. I'm on 10 now. You're right about the pathnames, and these change with every new Windows operating system that uses a different folder organization system. I haven't seen Windows 8 yet, so I don't know how it's folder system compares to 7 or Vista, but I bet it's different. I was thinking that part of an upgrade would be to account for those changes and automate them, otherwise the Roxio projects are useless. If not, there's certainly less incentive for Roxio customers to stick with a Roxio product on a new computer.

The one thing 10 lets me do that some earlier versions didn't is to copy a save a disk image of completed mixes. At least then I don't lose the actual mix. But of course that image can't later be edited as a project file could be.

Thank you, sknis and tbrewt. I think you are both right. I'm on 10 now. You're right about the pathnames, and these change with every new Windows operating system that uses a different folder organization system. I haven't seen Windows 8 yet, so I don't know how it's folder system compares to 7 or Vista, but I bet it's different. I was thinking that part of an upgrade would be to account for those changes and automate them, otherwise the Roxio projects are useless. If not, there's certainly less incentive for Roxio customers to stick with a Roxio product on a new computer.

The one thing 10 lets me do that some earlier versions didn't is to copy a save a disk image of completed mixes. At least then I don't lose the actual mix. But of course that image can't later be edited as a project file could be.

Actually the windows operating system and folder system is immaterial if you setup your project folders properly. I always create a new project folder for every new project and copy all my resource files (videos, photos, audio, etc) into that folder. That folder will of course contain also contain the project files (dmsm, dmsd, etc). You then simply copy or transfer that folder to a new computer and everything is in place.

In general older project files will not work on newer versions of the program. You should always finish a project in the Roxio version you started in.

BTW, earlier versions allowed you to create image files (iso) if that is what you mean by "save a disk image of completed mixes." What does the "10" refer to in "The one thing 10 lets me do"?

Edited by myguggi

Interesting, Digital Guru. So during the process of assembling files, such as audio files for a music mix, you actually duplicate the original files to a new directory you call a project folder. The full pathname for these files will be different in a new version of Windows, since the base directory names change, but you think Roxio will still look in the project folderfor the audio files when recreating the mix. If so, that would make it worthwhile to use the disc space for multiple copies of the same audio file in different project folders.

Disc image is what Creator 10 calls an image file of a music mix made for burning to disc.

h

Not sure what program you are using in the Suite, but since you say you are creating audio mixes, I'll mention that Sound Editor and Music Disc Creator each have an Archive functionality (File > Archive Project) that will gather the music files and the project into one folder for you.

Interesting, Digital Guru. So during the process of assembling files, such as audio files for a music mix, you actually duplicate the original files to a new directory you call a project folder. The full pathname for these files will be different in a new version of Windows, since the base directory names change, but you think Roxio will still look in the project folderfor the audio files when recreating the mix. If so, that would make it worthwhile to use the disc space for multiple copies of the same audio file in different project folders.

Disc image is what Creator 10 calls an image file of a music mix made for burning to disc.

h

Disc image is not restricted to audio - it is simply an image of a disc, doesn't matter if its data, audio or video.

I don't know why you are worried about so much about pathnames etc. The Roxio can easily relink all the source files if they are all in one folder