• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Writing To A Bad Spot On A Dvd Disk

jkevn

Question

Does Roxio burning software use the "skipping algorithm", or the "linear replacement algorithm" when writing music & video data to disc?

With the "skipping algorithm", real time data is not written to a bad spot on the disc and the data is lost. With the "linear replacement algorithm", data is written to a different, good area on the disk and preserved.

thanks!

Kevin

Edited by jkevn

2 answers to this question

I think you're confusing things here. When writing to disc, there's no way to verify if there's a bad spot on the disc until after you've written to the disc, and at that point, especially if writing a video DVD, there's no way to "correct" that.

Now, when playing back a disc, those two correction algorithms kick in, depending on the playback device. It either just drops the data, or tries to interpolate and fit something into that spot.

If you can point me to where you've heard of those algorithms being used during writing, I'd be happy to see it.