Windows 8 Compatibility

Richard7890

I bought Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus recently and installed it on a new HP Windows 8 machine. The product appears to have installed correctly. I followed the instructions in the Geting Started Guide and was pleased when I started a VHS tape and saw the content appear in the preview window for about 15 seconds. After that the image appeared frozen. I added title and stopped the the tape and returned to the beginning. Then I started the tape and then clicked Start Recording. At this point, the VCR started, but picture appeared in the preview window. I let it run for some time and then got suspicious that nothing was really happening. I stopped recording to see what I had and received a write error. I am using SONY DVD-R to record. I had to kill the process to get the program to shut down and my DVD is no longer usable. I tried to start the program again, but was unable to get an image in the preview window unless I restarted the machine. The Roxio/Corel web site says this product is Windows 8 compatible, but I have my doubts. Can you give me any advice about how to proceed?

I bought Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus recently and installed it on a new HP Windows 8 machine. The product appears to have installed correctly. I followed the instructions in the Geting Started Guide and was pleased when I started a VHS tape and saw the content appear in the preview window for about 15 seconds. After that the image appeared frozen. I added title and stopped the the tape and returned to the beginning. Then I started the tape and then clicked Start Recording. At this point, the VCR started, but picture appeared in the preview window. I let it run for some time and then got suspicious that nothing was really happening. I stopped recording to see what I had and received a write error. I am using SONY DVD-R to record. I had to kill the process to get the program to shut down and my DVD is no longer usable. I tried to start the program again, but was unable to get an image in the preview window unless I restarted the machine. The Roxio/Corel web site says this product is Windows 8 compatible, but I have my doubts. Can you give me any advice about how to proceed?

Do not capture direct to DVD, use the Record, Edit Save option. This will separate the capture process from the burn process and save you from creating a lot of coaster.

So I tried that today and had the same experience. I saw the video capture in the preview window for about 20 seconds, then it appeared to stop. I recorded for about 30 seconds, then clicked stop record. No listing of edits appeared and I could find no files in the User\..\Captured Videos folder. Can you state unequivocally that this product is Windows 8 compatible?

About the compatibility issue: the box that the software comes in claims only that it is Windows 7 compatible. Is there a download of an update that I need for Windows 8? More exactly Version 6.2 (Build 9200).

Here is what's listed for Windows 8 Compatibility:

http://corel.force.com/roxio/articles/en_US/Master_Article/000015286-Windows-8-Compatibility-for-Roxio-Products?retURL=%2Froxio%2Fapex%2Fkbsearchresultspage&popup=false&lang=en_US&productTopCategory=NONE&applicationSubCategory=NONE&productSubCategory=NONE&topicCategory=NONE&topicCategoryText=NONE&subTopicCategory=NONE&subTopicCategoryText=NONE&articleId=kA060000000L62o

I understand that the company says that the software is now Windows 8 compatible, but it is possible that the software I purchased (from Staples in a box) had been sitting on a shelf since before modifications were made to make it Windows 8 compatible. So, I ask, is there any download of an update that is needed to make all of its components work together on Windows 8?

So, going on the theory that my copy is not windows 8 compatible, I installed the program on a Windows 7 laptop. Bingo! The program works quite nicely. Again, I ask, is this program truly Windows 8 compatible, is there an update I need to download to get it to work on my Windows 8 machine?

Hi Richard,

While ogdens looks into this for you, I thought I would offer my insight.

Good luck with this product and Windows8. Windows8 is riddled with their own issues, and with the various changes over the past year for Roxio/Corel, I wouldn't hold my breath. Company ownership transfer, other changes and lay offs as well as restructuring (that seems to repeat itself quarter over quarter...)

Stick with Windows7 if you can. If that is not an option, send the unit back and get a refund. Trust me, it aint worth your time and hassle.

There are many other products on the market that do work on Windows8.

Sorry for the negative on this one, I am just a consumer helping a consumer.

A.

• 1 month later...

I too bought roxio easy(laughable) vhs to dvd3 on 5/3/2013, I installed it on my windows 8 system which it installed with no errors, i then proceded to copy a 3hr vhs to file which it made perfectly, closed the program for an hr or so before restarting to copy another vhs, then i get the message "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly" now i cant even open the program at all, any help would be appriciated?

I too bought roxio easy(laughable) vhs to dvd3 on 5/3/2013, I installed it on my windows 8 system which it installed with no errors, i then proceded to copy a 3hr vhs to file which it made perfectly, closed the program for an hr or so before restarting to copy another vhs, then i get the message "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly" now i cant even open the program at all, any help would be appriciated?

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Unplug your USB Device and put it aside until you are completely finished.

Now insert your Roxio Disc (download version - run Install)

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

]

Thankyou for the reply jim, but im still in the same situation after following your instructions, when i double click on the icon just keeps saying roxio.... has stopped working, i have even tryed removing the software and installing afresh with the same results, i will add i never got the option to check for updates either :(

i think the first time this happened there was a message about a page fault or something but i have not had that error message anymore

Should i be downloading a newer version?

Edited by G Matthews

Thankyou for the reply jim, but im still in the same situation after following your instructions, when i double click on the icon just keeps saying roxio.... has stopped working, i have even tryed removing the software and installing afresh with the same results, i will add i never got the option to check for updates either :(

i think the first time this happened there was a message about a page fault or something but i have not had that error message anymore

Should i be downloading a newer version?

There is no download available the product comes with hardware!

The check for updates, I think you only see with a new install and I'm not fond of allowing that when I'm installing any Roxio software. I would rather install it as is, after installation use the program updater to check for updates.

If your following Jim's repair to the 'T' and it didn't work?

Others suggest 'revouninstaller' free download, run it in moderate mode to remove all Roxio products. Be carefull is is a registry cleaner and I would suggest backing up your registry before running revo. Then reinstall the EV2D Plus following this, Preparing your computer for installing Roxio products, link below...

http://corel.force.c...kA060000000L3eQ

yes sorry i know its not much info but i really have no more, when i was double clicking on the roxio icon i get an error message thats as far as the program would go, i tryed all recommendations above with no success so i have just completed a refresh of windows 8 to see if this clears the problem i will post what happens :)

As promised my reply to what happened here, i did the refresh for windows 8, and yes i had to re install all my programs but it solved my problem, i have recorded some 10hrs of vhs to file (46gb approx) and everything seems to be working fine now, so i dont really know what the actual problem was but this has solved it for now anyways :)

Thanks for getting back.

It appears your problem was you Win8 instillation, which I am guessing was an Upgrade rather than a Clean Install on a Formatted disk???

I have done a few "upgrades" through the years, just to see what happens... Usually within a year or so, I end up formatting to clear out little issues that seem to come along ;)

this pc is a new build ive just built in the past 2 months, running full install windows 8 pro 64bit with raid on 250gb ssd's and since i posted roxio has yet again failed to run but on this accasion the repair from cd has worked and im up and running again, tbh its very confusing whats going on here but there must be some compatibility issue of some sort.

Edited by G Matthews