Sign in to follow this  
MyNetTrainer.com

Custom Conversion Settings For H.264

Question

We've been using Toast 11 Titanium since July 2012 to convert our 8GB HD .mov files to h.264 video files and then upload to a video on demand service. None of our custom settings within Toast have been changed nor has the .mov file size changed. However, I noticed today, rather than the h.264 files being 300 - 325 MB, they're now 700 - 750 MB files.

FYI:

Using a MacBook Pro running IOS 10.7.5

Toast 11.1

A gentleman working for the video on demand service originally helped customize our Toast conversion settings but he's no longer working for the company. Could anyone lend a hand?

Our technological IQ isn't very high so a Conversion For Dummies approach would be appreciate.

Thank you!

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

You haven't provided any information on the settings you are using or the specs and length of the source video.

Drag one of the smaller and one of the larger videos into the Toast Convert window with Video Files selected as the format. Toast describes their specs in small type. Is there any difference?

The original clip is 46 minutes : 25 seconds in duration and contained in a 8.38 GB file contained in iMovie.

DIMENSIONS: 960 x 540

CODECS: Apple Itnermediate Codec, Linear PCM, Timecode

AUDIO CHANNELS: 2

TOTAL BIT RATE: 24,037

The MP4 file is 507.6 MB.

DIMENSIONS: 1280 x 720

CODECS: H.264, AAC, Text

AUDIO CHANNELS: 2

TOTAL BIT RATE: 1448

When I originally created the Custom Video Export Profile, I believe I used the following settings (although I don't have these documented to confirm):

VIDEO

FORMAT: MPEG-4 Player

SIZE: Automatic

ASPECT RATIO: Automatic

OVERSCAN: Automatic

FRAME RATE: 29.97

DATA RATE: Custom - 900 kbps

AUDIO

FORMAT: MPEG-4 Audio

SAMPLE RATE: 44100

CHANNELS: Stereo

DATA RATE: 128000

NOTE: I am unable to change the DATA RATE. It's current set at 1328 kbps. The drop down menu appears and a cursor is available to manually set the data rate but neither entry is accepted.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

I think 700-750 MB is a reasonable size for a 46-minute 1280x720 video. The only way to make the file size much smaller is to lower the resolution. Check one of those 300-MB videos to see it also is 1280x720 or is less than that.