No Video

informationhighway

Question

Hi,

I have been through all of the forums and other internet posts and I have a seemingly common and ongoing problem that for many are unresolved and who simply return the device to the place of purchase. :(

I have no video signal when trying to capture from my camcorder.

I have done all of the suggested updates on system software, etc.

I am a very experienced user and have not found an obvious answer.

I am running Windows 7 x64 on an adequate laptop and running a composite connection from a Sony TR-67.

The 2 drivers do appear in the device manager. (I have tried both from the install CD and from the website).

I have done the installation prep in the order recommended, etc, etc......all of the suggestions from the various posts.

My laptop sees the device. The software does not.

Other capture software sees the device but does not work with it.

I can in fact capture video from this camcorder using other software and an older Pinnacle USB-500 capture device so it is not a laptop, the camcorder, usb or other issue.

I have seen on one discussion that someone obtained other drivers and in fact also a certain patch that was required.

Is there a software patch? It is not publicly found on the website.

Your help will be appreciated.

6 answers to this question

The fact that your laptop worked with some other software and device in no way suports your conclusion that it "it is not a laptop, the camcorder, usb or other issue.", ;)

You may be correct, but list your actual laptop specs rather than your assuraces please.

There is no 'Update', 'Drivers' or 'Patch' for this version. You can't browse/search and pick out pieces from other versions and by my count this is the 4th one they have made...

First I would suggest you do a proper repair:

Plug in the Capture device and Disable both entries in the Device Manager (Sound and Video Game Controllers)

Unplug the device and put it aside till later.

Turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc. and insert your Roxio Disc, run Install.

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

Then turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

Plug in the Device and look it the Device Manager. If it doesn't look exactly like this, it isn't going to work!

post-39730-0-86571700-1358081577_thumb.jpg

Try using it now but with a completly different source, like a DVD or BD Player.

Now what happens?

(extra credit for photos or screen caps ;) - info HERE)

AND THE COMPLETLY DIFFERENT SOURCE???

Nice screen caps ;) That stuff looks good - only the USB 2 is in question.

I run mine on a lot less, the dell mini 10 in my sig, and it works OK.

So the Source is still in question and try it with All of your USB Ports - only one on my Dell has the full 1 Amp :huh:

I tried using several makes of DVD and VHS players as a source with no changes.

I tried all of the USB ports with no changes.

The only thing I have not tried yet is using another computer for the install as this one was my computer of choice for this capture device,

however, I will go ahead and pull some of my bigger systems that have verified adequately powered USB ports and cleaner system installs out of storage and try a clean install on one of those. I was hoping to avoid this as now I can no longer refer to the product as "Easy" VHS to DVD...........

It is possible also that even though I disabled alot of potentially conflicting device drivers, given a history of heavy use on this system potentially the software install is just competing somewhere deep within M$Windows .dll "h3ll". :D

I will try the above and then report whether it worked.

I appreciate the try and try again process since I first started computing using punch cards ........................

I think Roxio needs to put a big red label on the box for this and the game capture software that remind you to install the program before installing the device. ;)

If I had a dime (update from penny) for everyone who did it the other way, I could have a pretty good dinner and some liquid refreshments :o

Great, thanks for posting the images and providing the information.