Restore/selective Restore

jackp

Question

Prior to installing Windows 8 Pro, I made a backup of the drive to make sure I would be able to re-create the same folders, etc. once Windows 8 was installed.

I've reinstalled Roxio (2012 Pro), but when I went to Restore, I can not access my backups. I'm guessing that Roxio saved some file on the original HD that is not gone...it doesn't seem to know the backup files exist and I can't figure out how to point it there?

How do I restore my selective files, etc. from the backup that Roxio doesn't know exists?

7 answers to this question

Brendon,

I originally used Roxio Creator 2012 Pro...same program I re-installed and attempted to "restore."

When I backed up, I backed up to a USB3.0 portable hard disk...That HDD is still attached, I can see/view the backup set using normal explorer, etc., and when I start Roxio's backup/restore application ("BackOnTrack") it recognizes the USB HDD, but does not see the files...

I can only specify the root directory, my "K:\" drive.

The files originally created by Roxio are "drive image" files with extensions ".SIB," ".SIB_DR", and one named "duplicate.proj."

Jack

Okay, so the program you used was BackOnTrack, and you backed up your data to a USB portable HD.

What settings did you use please, Jack?

Did you use One-click Backup, or Advanced Backup?

If you used One-Click, did you select My Data or Entire Computer?

If Advanced, did you select My Data [and what sub-settings?] or Disk or Partition [subsettings?]

What data did you backup to your USB HD, and which option [My Data/Entire Computer/System Rollback] are you trying to use to retrieve the data?

Sorry, but I need to know these things to work out what you've done.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

To my recollection, I used the "entire" computer. I don't remember whether I went through Advanced Backup or the One-click...I normally go through advanced settings on most installs, etc., but I don't recall. I know that my backup includes a file for each of the partitions on my HDD. I'm also fairly certain that I selected the entire drive rather than select each folder individually.

On my restore attempt, I have noodled through all the options, but none of them show any backups available for restore. For example, if I select the My Data restore nothing shows under "latest backup." I attempt a "let me chosse" option and select the "K:\" drive and the "available backups" entry shows "0: Jack / Entire Computer to K:" There is a time block showing on the day I made the backup, but selecting "next" to get the files, nothing shows in the dialog...all the options I can access under the entire disk are also "empty."

All the options under the "entire disk"

Hello Jack,

I've spent some hours today hammering BackOnTrack to work out what you have done and what it has done.

I think I have worked out what has happened, and I'm afraid it's not too good for your wish to "re-create the same folders, etc. once Windows 8 was installed."

You'll recall that the Home screen on BackOnTrack gives you three options. One-click Backup, Advanced Backup, and Restore. The "Entire Computer" option is under One-Click Backup.

post-208-0-22430200-1358403363_thumb.jpg

That selection backs up your internal hard drives as a disk image to an optical or a portable drive, creating files such as you described, and it looks to be the only selection which will produce those files. [Here are mine. I've left only C: in the computer, so the portable USB drive is D:]]

post-208-0-27908400-1358403580_thumb.jpg

Now the problem you've run into is that BackOnTrack will only save and restore entire drives or partitions if used on these settings. If you have only your system disk [C:]internal to the computer, it has saved the disk as an image and will only restore the complete image. You would have to create a bootable BackOnTrack recovery disc, and boot on that to recover the C: drive. [You can create the standard recovery disc through the Tools menu.]

I think BackOnTrack can recover the image to an empty hard drive, so you could recreate your same folders etc. You would have to boot on a recovery disc and restore C: to a spare hard drive, and then copy the required folders etc. to your new Windows 8 drive. Very fiddly!

It looks as if you would need to use one of the My Data options to selectively backup files and folders rather than whole disks or partitions. The My Data restore options should then show you a list of available files and folders, since 'My Data' doesn't use whole-disk images.

Sorry this hasn't been the answer you'd like, but I hope it explains what has happened.

Best regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

Thanks for the information...your sample files are duplicates (nore or less) of what I'm seeing in my backup...

It looks like your solution of creating a bootable recovery cd and then restoring to an empty drive is how I'll have to go.

I appreciate your effort to work out my problems and find a work around...Thank you very much for your time and effort.

I'll get back if I run into something else, but from what you described is what I've "got."

Jack