• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

DizzyKiddy

Videowave Hd Pro Hangs On Split-Trim

Question

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me with an unusual problem I am getting when I try to edit in videowave after using my Roxio Game Capture HD Pro. I Am capturing at game footage on my PS3 using Component cables. I am saving these files as M2TS files. Profile is HD 1080i and Video Bitrate is set to 15000.

The footage I have captured is around 10 mins of gameplay per capture.

Now when I go into VideoWave to edit I have 1 captured clip at around 10 mins, where I am able to add markers along the timeline to where I want to cut out footage I dont need using the trim option. No I added the markers fine but after a few trims VideoWave starts to come up with 'Not Responding' even tho I can use my pc to do other things in the background, however, When I typically edit I dont have anything running on my pc except for VideoWave. My Rendering is set to Hardware under Tools > Options. I have tried software as it defaults to Hardware, I Ok these settings and reboot my pc and try again and the same problem occurs. So either Hardware or Software rendering option doesnt resolve the hanging issue.

Now I am sure my pc specs should be fine for an operation as simple as this especially as it is only a 10 minute clip I am editing.

My PC specs are as follows:

Dell Inspiron 560

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz

4GB of RAM

64bit Operating system running Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1)

ATI Radeon HD 5450

My Hard drive has 400GB free space and has recently been defragged.

This problem is becoming increasing frustrating as everytime I make a new trim on the clip it starts to take longer and longer for the next trim, and even adding markers on my timeline at this point starts to hang my pc.

Any idea's on what to try to resolve this problem?

Many thanks

20 answers to this question

10 minute clips should not be giving your PC that much trouble :huh: (a 1 or 2 hour clip can suck the life out of any CPU)

I think a Proper Repair would be in order at this point:

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Now insert your Roxio Disc - run Install

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

Hoping that will do the trick for you ;)

Also... just curious - are you using the Markers as a trim method like this:

post-39730-0-51503100-1358195872_thumb.jpg

There are actually 3 different ways to trim in VW, depending on what you need to do ;)

Hiya, thanks for the quick reply.

I am using that method for trimming my footage, as it appears to be the fastest way to trim multiple parts in a piece of footage as I can scan through the footage and place a marker and then trim to the next marker. I started using this method once I found that the production was slowing down and it was taking too long to open up a clip and trim.

I turned off my firewall and anti virus (dont have a reg cleaner installed) and I put my roxio disc back in and ran it. It found 3 updates like it did when I first installed it last week for the first time and went through the repair option as mentioned and it repaired. I turned on my firewall and anti virus again and rebooted. When I started VideoWave it took 2 mins to load up a production that is only 2mins 43 sec's long. Anything I try to do apart from save takes around 1 min to 2 mins to take affect, I.E. Add Text Effect... The text effect screen comes up to select my font, and when I select it I get an egg timer, then an arror then an egg timer And it goes between 'Not Responding' to normal, but takes around 1 to 2 mins before I can do anything in VideoWave. The same thing is happening when I go to trim my footage. I find it unusual that it would slow up this much. The Production when I first started went really fast, but it seemed that the more I trimmed in my 10 minute clip the more it started to slow gradually.

Any other idea's or do you need any more information from me regarding this issue?

Thanks in advance

VW is dependent on your Video Card ~ make sure you have the latest Drivers AND Software for that - they change about every month!

Do the Repair again, I have seen it take 3 times to work :huh:

Another 'trick' is to go under Tools - Options and set Render to Software! It often speeds up all other operations ;)

Of course you cannot have anything else running on the PC during editing or VW will take a big hit!

Hiya, I generally dont run anything else on my pc when I edit.

I checked all my drivers and software for my Video card and all is up to date. I have tried the changing rendering method several times but that doesnt do anything to resolve the problem. I have repaired the program 3 times now and at the moment it seems to of made the problem slighty worse, it takes longer for the program to respond now. It feels like the more I change my 10 minute clip by using any editing tool in VideoWave the more the program hangs now.

When I start a brand new production the program responds perfectly and slowly but surely the production gets slower and slower as it starts to show 'Not Responding', then it alternates between 'Not Responding' and showing the program as running as normal although you cant do anything in VideoWave until the action you performed has completed by the program.

Does the program have some kind of limit to how much editing you can put into your prodcution or is this a cache problem of some sort?

Thanks

It is something in your PC that is the problem...

I often edit 4 to 6 hours of BD quality on mine. Of course there is some slowdown as no PC has 80+ GB of RAM to fit that kind of production ;)

I really don't know :huh:

Im pretty sure its not anything that runs in the background as the pc is fairly new and not much is installed on it. I have a 500GB drive and have over 400GB spare for footage, most of the storage is music and video and there isnt much installed on the pc itself. I dont have speed issue's with other applications that I run. It only seems to happen with VideoWave once I use it for around the first 20-30 mins which is enough time to make several edits on my production and then I start to see the signs of slow down in speed, and it gets worse as more edits are made. Its almost as if the application tries to process all the information and it starts to slow down, which was why I was wondering if there was some kind of editing limit or a cache limit of some sort, as this may explain why its only happening with VideoWave. It is a shame cause its a really great product but the slow down becomes so great that it becomes completely unusable :( for example it gets to the point where I add a text box and when I type a letter it hangs for 2 mins before I can type another letter, then hangs for another 2 mins. Very frustrating :/

I just tested mine out (actually never really used it before).

With a 2 hour BD HQ clip, yes there were slowdowns... With it cut to 30 minutes, not really anything I could tell...

Would it get worse over time? To some extent as it keeps an Undo Buffer and that robs more and more...

Does anyone else notice a slowdown using VideoWave?

I was just wondering, with your clip that you cut to 30 mins, was it only a 30 minute segment you cut from the 2 hour BD HQ Clip? As with my Productions, I have 1 Clip around 9 to 10 mins in Length, but I trim lots of bits off that video that I dont need, so in my Timeline I have several short clips, they can go up to around 50 real short clips but the overal time is shorter to around 6 - 7 mins of footage, sometimes I put text on these clips to highlight things in my video and of course transitions between the clips also. The more I trim and use the text the more it slows down. I did notice that the Undo can undo several changes to the production so it must keep track of previous actions done. If the slowdown becomes more noticable with other users, do you think a patch or Service pack may be released to deal with this problem?

Thanks

Hey your pretty good at this :lol:

Yes my clip was a contiguous clip from the 2 hour clip ;)

I just did another with an 11 minute project consisting of 26 clips....

post-39730-0-77589700-1358420115_thumb.jpg

It responds well but I notice a 3-4 sec delay when adding text between typing and its' appearance.

I have asked some others to look into this but like you, all we can do it pass it along :unsure: We are just users, not employees...

Many Thanks Jim, all the help you have given so far is much appreciated, I understand that you are fellow users of the product and not employee's but its always nice to ask other people who have a better grasp of these problems to see if they have encountered these problems before as they may have solutions to these kind of problems.

Hopefully someone will find out what causes the issue's and a solution comes in the pipeline. From your experience with Roxio do you think an issue like this will be addressed and looked at or is it simply a matter of playing the long waiting game to see if something comes from it?

Thanks again

I haven't heard back, but I am not even sure how this could happen...

VideoWave is a pretty mature product, goes back to EMC 7 (2004)!

Yes I think this product will have thier support and get looked into. From the activity we have seen here, I am guessing that RGC is big seller for Roxio.

Again thanks for your help with this issue Jiim. Im sure that Roxio Game Capture HD Pro is a big seller so Id like to think that support would want to know about these issue's so they can improve said product. Shall I just keep checking in this thread for updates on this issue or do I need to seek updates from Roxio themselves?

Kind Regards

Again thanks for your help with this issue Jiim. Im sure that Roxio Game Capture HD Pro is a big seller so Id like to think that support would want to know about these issue's so they can improve said product. Shall I just keep checking in this thread for updates on this issue or do I need to seek updates from Roxio themselves?

Kind Regards

You could also give Roxio your feedback here:

Open your program, click on Help, then select "Provide feedback to Roxio"

Thanks again for the advice gentleman, your stars. I will check back here from time to time to see how we get on with this issue and I will also provide the feedback to Roxio through VideoWave also.

Thanks all.

Hi, I just wanted to stop in and say I am having the exact same issues as DizzyKiddy and have tried all of the suggested solutions with no improvement. Clicking trim will make the blue "loading" wheel show up and it takes 5-10 minutes to complete most times. When the loading wheel is there and I click on the program screen, it forces it in to "Not Responding" mode and I have to force close the program, only to have to do the same trim again and wait for 5-10 minutes. I was happy when I finally found a thread where someone has the exact problem I'm having. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a solution.

Hi, I just wanted to stop in and say I am having the exact same issues as DizzyKiddy and have tried all of the suggested solutions with no improvement. Clicking trim will make the blue "loading" wheel show up and it takes 5-10 minutes to complete most times. When the loading wheel is there and I click on the program screen, it forces it in to "Not Responding" mode and I have to force close the program, only to have to do the same trim again and wait for 5-10 minutes. I was happy when I finally found a thread where someone has the exact problem I'm having. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a solution.

Since last posting I have talked to others here and they do not experience this problem :huh:

I wanted to test in on my other PC but it is down for the moment...

No one here would know what you mean by "all the suggested solutions"... Unless you actually list them, we can't tell which ones you might have missed ;)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

How long in time is the video you are trying to edit? What are your system specs?

You have to supply more information then just "I have a problem"

How long in time is the video you are trying to edit? What are your system specs?

You have to supply more information then just "I have a problem"

Walt you can see in my test it was only 11 minutes long but consisting of 26 clips :huh: Then I saw delays!

But if it was one contiguous clip or just a couple, there were not any... Likewise another Guru tested the same conditions and had NO delay :wacko:

Jim is right when it comes to lots of clips and even if it is shortish in length there starts to get slowdown yet in one long clip with fewer edits it tends to run a lot smoother. Since I have been having this problem the only way around this I have found is to create a new production for every video clip I have and save it. So lets say I have 19 video clips I need to edit. I will start a new production and pull only that video clip into the editor and edit that clip exactly how it needs to be and then save it. I do this for every single video clip I am gonig to use in my final video. so I will end up with 19 saved Productions. Then I open up a new production so I can start to build my master production and I save it as 'Master File' then I open the first of my 19 productions and when it opens fairly quickly I press CTRL + A to select all the edits in the video clip and then press CTRL + C to copy (or right click select Copy) to copy then to the clipboard. Then I open my Master File and when it opens up I always click on 'End' at the bottom of the preview window to make sure im at the end of the production and then I press CTRL + V (Or right click and select Paste) and this will paste in all the video clips you edited. Then Either press CTRL + S to save or select Save from the file menu at the top left. Once it has saved its time to open up the next production you saved and repeat the process for the other 18 productions you saved. You will notice that this will save lots of time as when you use one video clip and edit it, the program runs much faster. I have knocked off over an hour of stalling time using this method for a 10 clip video!

Just remember to save the 'Master File' after every time you paste the new clips in as you are opening a new production every time. And also remember to warp to the end of the video to paste in the new clips so they dont end up in the middle of your edit somewhere and get lost.

*Side note, when your using things like text in your video clips then Save them to the Internal Tracks of your video clips, that way they too will be copied over when you copy the entire production into the master production. This should save you some time.

Hope this helps.