Piet22

How To Stop Auto Renaming

Question

I've just installed the last update of Toast 10.

This update has a new feature I really don't like :s

When loading and converting video files, it picks the date of the file as the new name by default. I really don't need this auto renaming of my files when converting. How do I switch this off (like the older versions of Toast 10)?

Hoping someone here has a quick answer, cause I have to start working on a project now.

Thanks a lot!

Piet

6 answers to this question

Sorry, I dont know why my post shows up like 20 times. Maybe the administrator can delete the clones :)

Still waiting for an answer.

Piet

Edited by Piet22

I don't exactly know what you're describing. What settings are you using in Toast? How are videos being added? What is the source for the videos?

Its about mts (from Sony steadycam) or mov (form Canon DSLR) files that I have to convert to apple proress for fcp.

I drag them into Toast. With the new version it immediately changes the names to the date etc. With the older versions it just kept the original file names intact, like I want it to be. Its about a hugh batch of files (approx. 100), so its no solution to manually rename the files back again.

My only suggestion then is to install the previous version of Toast 10 and use it when doing the imports. You can have multiple versions of Toast on your Mac. Just rename the folder so it doesn't get replaced. Unfortunately I can't confirm if this issue also exists with Toast 11. If you want to give that a try you should buy Toast 11 directly from Roxio online. They have a 30-day refund policy.

Yeah - I just wasted a day and a half because of this. Nice feature roxio.

The workaround I found is to drag the files that need to be converted locally - like to a folder on your desktop. Then drop them into toast and make the prores. Then the filenames stay intact.

Previously the files were on an Xsan over fibre channel.

UPDATE - drag the files anywhere outside of the file structure created by the camera. Doesn't matter if it's local or not. Something in the folder/file structure created by the camera must be read by Toast and cause it to rename..

Edited by SteveP_

Or you may try a different tool all together.

With KrojamSoft BatchRenameFiles Tool,you can quickly and easily change the name, attributes of files/folders.You can sort file names by name, date, time. It has supported preview mode of all changes before making them.