JacV

Easy Vhstodvd Works For The Camcorder But Not Vcr. Why?

Question

I like to digitize old VHS and video 8-tapes. The VHS tapes are tapes which are recorded from video 8 tapes in the past. From a certain time we didn't record these to VHS anymore but simply bought new video 8 tapes. So I have video 8 and VHS tapes to digitize. I started with the video 8 tapes using the camcorder as player. It works well. The video 8 tapes are now digitized by the Roxio Easy VHStoDVD. No problem. I like to continue now with digitizing the VHS tapes but I don't get any signal in from the VCR. When I put the VCR signal out on the TV-screen I do do get images so there's clearly something on the tapes. What is going wrong? Can anybody tell me?

I like to digitize old VHS and video 8-tapes. The VHS tapes are tapes which are recorded from video 8 tapes in the past. From a certain time we didn't record these to VHS anymore but simply bought new video 8 tapes. So I have video 8 and VHS tapes to digitize. I started with the video 8 tapes using the camcorder as player. It works well. The video 8 tapes are now digitized by the Roxio Easy VHStoDVD. No problem. I like to continue now with digitizing the VHS tapes but I don't get any signal in from the VCR. When I put the VCR signal out on the TV-screen I do do get images so there's clearly something on the tapes. What is going wrong? Can anybody tell me?

Since you have proved that the software and capture device works properly then the source signal must be the problem. Perhaps the signal out of VCR is too weak for the capture device even though it works on the TV.

Can you possibly feed the signal from the VCR to the camcorder and from there to the capture device for capturing?

I assum that you had the VCR connected the same way as the camcorder

To add to Myguggi's suggestions:

It could be anything (at least the Roxio is ok), bad cable,poor connection. Some combo VCR/DVD players only have the VHS output on one specific output jack (read the user manual).

Edited by ogdens

Unfortunately there are no connection possibillities to connect the VCR signal to the capt USB through the camcorder. Also a poor cable is unlikely since it worked when capturing from the camcorder. It strange that it can't do what its name says (Easy VHS to DVD).

I've also tried other VCR's but the result stays te same. I also connected the VCR with the SCART to the TV (So I saw there were images) and connected the TV to the capture USB by the composite (Yellow/white/red). No result either. The last thing I'm gonna try: Going through the DVD player. Who knows?

Most likely it is staring you in the face :lol::D:lol:

Camcorder to V2D worked... So there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the software or the Capture USB :huh:

What's left?

It is extremely rare to have a TV that has any form of output!!! More likely you have it connected to composite input and that will not work!

The majority of SCART connectors do not have the Composite Output RCA connectors connected! You have to make sure yours actually does ;)

Many of our UK users have recommended these:

I am sure you can find something equal to that in the Netherlands ;)

• Like 1

I know now: It doesn't work! The DVD player has only out signals and no "in". I'm out of options now. Maybe there are updates? Does anybody know? I'm not sure if I have a version 3. It's not written on te box but on the USB stands "USB... ver3".

You're right! Imagine how desperate I am. I might use the wrong connector. It looks like the one shown in your links. (see added pictures. On the composite side there's written "input". I'm using it from the SCART connection of the VCR tot the composite connection of the capt USB. Will this connector cause these problems you think?

post-108857-0-90692900-1359896163_thumb.jpg

post-108857-0-06954000-1359896232_thumb.jpg

I have never personally seen a Scart device (live in North America)...

The one you have does look correct... BUT if is says Input, then it is possible it is intended as an adapter to allow Composite INPUT into a Scart Device <_<

Take it with you and check at an electronics or TV store and ask them what they think you would need to adapt Scart Output to Composite Input???

A good idea to check it in a electronics store! On the other hand it worked when I put the VCR on the TV screen by this connector.

In order to exclude the software concerning digitizing VHS tapes, I dowloaded a trial of Golden Videos (competitor Roxio). But it says the same: "no video signal input". It looks like the signal is strong enough to be shown on the TV screen but too weak to pass the capt USB?

A good idea to check it in a electronics store! On the other hand it worked when I put the VCR on the TV screen by this connector.

In order to exclude the software concerning digitizing VHS tapes, I dowloaded a trial of Golden Videos (competitor Roxio). But it says the same: "no video signal input". It looks like the signal is strong enough to be shown on the TV screen but too weak to pass the capt USB?

Use the DVD player composite output and feed it into the Roxio device and see if that works.

Thank you! Yes, the output signal of the DVD player is recieved! But I do not have a possibility to put the VCR signal into the DVD player. The DVD player only has outputs, no inputs.

Unfortunately there are no connection possibillities to connect the VCR signal to the capt USB through the camcorder. Also a poor cable is unlikely since it worked when capturing from the camcorder. It strange that it can't do what its name says (Easy VHS to DVD).

That is because, if you are if you are in Europe, and some other parts of the world, passthrough is not legal, and camcorders, made for those areas of the world, don't have the ports to do so. :( Usually, those camcorders have an E at the end of the model number.

Edited by grandpabruce

Sorry but I am curious...

When you connect to your TV, do you use Composite input for the TV???

You don't have any unusually long runs here, nothing over 2 meters or or so?

The Golden Video, solution is one I often use as a last resort!

Also check with a store to see if there is anything they recommend.

No, I'm sorry. I'm getting a little mixed up. To put the VCR signal on the TV I used a SCART. I think (and I hope) that the SCART/composite adapter is still the first suspect.

No, I'm sorry. I'm getting a little mixed up. To put the VCR signal on the TV I used a SCART. I think (and I hope) that the SCART/composite adapter is still the first suspect.

OK! Let us know what you find out...

And the good news is: The composite/SCART connector was false. I've borrowed one of one of my colleagues and now i do get pictures on the capture screen BUT the capture button stays grayed out. So, one step furher but not there yet.

Next problem: sometimes I'm able to capture, then it grayes out. Consequently it says it doesn't have a viseo signal anymore, Then the system says "het kleurenschema is gewijzigd in windows 7 basic" which is is in English "the colorscheme is changed into windows 7 basic" and the system shuts down. Does anybody know how to solve that?

Try setting the Windows Theme to a Basic one before you start!

post-39730-0-86764000-1360095144_thumb.jpg

The interupts may be from breaks in the recording? Look for blank spots or noise lines where it stops.

Just tried. When I set Windows basic 7 beforehand and then strat Roxio E..D than it closes down immediately. Apparently the Roxio does not function with basic. When the scheme is upgraded is possibly gets short of memory. See the attachment (unfortunately in Dutch). I'll translate if you like.

Doc1.doc

Make sure that you have your Drivers and Software for you Video Card up to date.

Much of Roxio's software rely on being able to use the Video Card.

I will! Typical is dat I have the choice to use the S-video or the composite. When I use the S-video, the picture turn black and white. Composite is color.

One thing most of us strongly recommend is not to use the Record Burn option...

To be honest, I doubt it will make any difference to your problem, but the shortcoming is that if something goes amiss at the very end of the burn, ALL IS LOST :huh:

Whereas with the Record - Edit - Save method, you still have the capture intact ;)

JacV's Screen Caps looked like this:

post-39730-0-59173300-1360183668_thumb.jpg

I would also recommend that you perform a Repair Process, like this:

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Now insert your Roxio Disc (download version - run Install)

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Aah Jim,

I'm getting tyred of this. It won't run the install process because it says: "Set up has find out that your configuration doesn;t support any of the products" (free translation from Dutch. I don't understand anymore: In the past it simply installed it! I removed the former installation of Roxio but that doesn't help.

I am sorry that it has to be done the hard way...

This is extensive, but it what I suggest...

Create a New User Account with Administrator Privileges.

Turn OFF any A/V & Firewall.

Reboot and log on to that new account.

Copy your entire disc to a new folder on your HDD.

In that new folder, right click on Setup.exe and select Properties.

Under the Compatibility tab, make sure
nothing
is checked!

Right click Setup.exe and select Open.

Allow it to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio not Windows)

Use the Default Locations!

Let's see if that will get it installed. If it does, you can just delete that account but retain the programs and settings.

Edited by Jim_Hardin