• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Trimming Problem With Dvd Hq

fschr72255

Question

Got a new Dell Windows 7 computer without a video card: Uses Intel I5, 3.2Gb CPU @2.5GHz(4 CPUs?) RAM is 8Gb, page file is 2.8Gb, but 13Gb available.

Reloaded Creator 2010 on it

Inputting video via Roxio Video Capture (3 wire, not S video). Was feeding from an old Quasar VHS player and using DV input (default). Downloaded 2 hr tape (22 GB in .avi format). Was easily able to chop, edit, trim,add audio and text. Resulting DVD showed horizontal streaking when camera was in motion. (and occasional playback stoppage which appeared to be the Quasar drive slipping). Not a usable DVD. I suspected the Quasar to be the problem, but also wondered about the DV Capture setting

Switched to a Sony DVD/VHS player. Decided to Video Capture with DVD HQ input setting. Captured 15 minutes of same tape (0.9Gb in .mpg format).

Editing (video divide, moving curser) was slower, but could divide and delete sections, add audio and text. I didn't try the trimmer function. Resulting DVD was perfect- high resolution and no streaking.

Started on a new 2 hr tape captured in DVD HQ (8GB in .mpg). Slow editing, but ok, But the Trimmer function didn't work- just got a black screen Roxio/Corel article 000012560 gave me some clues/lower expectations. I checked Video wave had defaulted to Hardware after Graphics test, Program priority set to High,

Retested the shorter 15 minute DVD HQ video and it had the same Trimmer problem. Black screen, even if curser is moved. "Reset start" goes to a negative position

Is there an incompatibility between the Trimmer function and MPG formats? Or would a separate video card (as in my older laptop) help? I can always move the VHS player to the older computer.

3 answers to this question

Got a new Dell Windows 7 computer without a video card: Uses Intel I5, 3.2Gb CPU @2.5GHz(4 CPUs?) RAM is 8Gb, page file is 2.8Gb, but 13Gb available.

Reloaded Creator 2010 on it

Inputting video via Roxio Video Capture (3 wire, not S video). Was feeding from an old Quasar VHS player and using DV input (default). Downloaded 2 hr tape (22 GB in .avi format). Was easily able to chop, edit, trim,add audio and text. Resulting DVD showed horizontal streaking when camera was in motion. (and occasional playback stoppage which appeared to be the Quasar drive slipping). Not a usable DVD. I suspected the Quasar to be the problem, but also wondered about the DV Capture setting

Switched to a Sony DVD/VHS player. Decided to Video Capture with DVD HQ input setting. Captured 15 minutes of same tape (0.9Gb in .mpg format).

Editing (video divide, moving curser) was slower, but could divide and delete sections, add audio and text. I didn't try the trimmer function. Resulting DVD was perfect- high resolution and no streaking.

Started on a new 2 hr tape captured in DVD HQ (8GB in .mpg). Slow editing, but ok, But the Trimmer function didn't work- just got a black screen Roxio/Corel article 000012560 gave me some clues/lower expectations. I checked Video wave had defaulted to Hardware after Graphics test, Program priority set to High,

Retested the shorter 15 minute DVD HQ video and it had the same Trimmer problem. Black screen, even if curser is moved. "Reset start" goes to a negative position

Is there an incompatibility between the Trimmer function and MPG formats? Or would a separate video card (as in my older laptop) help? I can always move the VHS player to the older computer.

What do you mean by "without a video card"? You have to have some sort of video display device: either onboard or a video card.

Capturing to DV-avi will give you the best quality and is best for editing. Your problem is that you are working with a very long (in time) video and that makes editing slow. Also, a standard DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at the HQ (best) quality setting. Any longer the video has to be compressed and you lose quality. If you rendered all 2 hours to a standard DVD you may have used the default setting which is the worst choice to make as it gives terrible quality.

You are better off splitting the video into 2 and putting it on 2 DVDs or use DL DVDs.

Other people , including me , had some issues with the black trimmer screen. Are you looking to trim 10 frames or so from the video? That is really the only reason to use the trimmer screen. You said that your were able to split/delete so that works.

I don't believe that anyone had a real good reason for why the black trimmer screen. You might want to search these forums in case someone had a fix that I forgot about.One pperson had this problem and then it mysteriously disappeared!

Edit: You might want to run a repair/re-install with your anti-virus off to see if that will help. At ca 30 frames per second all you can do with trim and not with split and delecte is about 1/3 of a second. You might be able to hide that with a little longer transition.

Edited by sknis

Thanks for the advice.

My main problem was streaking video when converting a VHS tape. Turns out the problem was an old VHS player (maybe without automatic tracking?).

I went back to DV in lieu of DVD HQ, using a better VHS player, and can do everything. My 2 hour DVDs look fine on a 25 inch screen. They are mostly being preserved for the family.

Still wondering if there is a basic incompatibility between MPG formats and Creator's trimming functions. My VHS tapes tend to have occasional 2 second startup blanks between scenes which are difficult to "cut out".