Roxio Video Capture Spotty - Others Work Fine

Sonycam

Question

Frequently Roxio EVtoD3+ capture stops (No Video), seemingly randomly, where other capture programs (even freebies like Windows Movie Maker and Golden Video) will play right through with the exact same setup using the Roxio USB Device. Trying to record Video 8 tapes using an old Sony Video Walkman deck. That it works some times and always with other programs makes me believe that hookups, etc., are fine.

Please keep in mind the questions I have as you drill through this:

1) Why does only one Roxio VC Device and a generic USB Audio Device (that points to the Roxio USB Device) always install?

2) Any way to make the install pick up the Roxio drivers? BTW, I tried troubleshoot>look for updated drivers, and got the "no other drivers found" message.

3) Is the Roxio program just more sensitive to the signal purity than other capture programs, so it loses lock on the frame more easily?

4) Is there any way to correct the sensitivity issue?

First, the basic specs. Dell Dimension 8400 P4 3.4 GHz, 3GB Ram, 300GB HDD with 240 GB free, XP SP3 X86, all updates and system "cleans" performed as instructed by Roxio and on this forum, only other USB device connected is a mouse, tried various USB ports, have gone through the uninstall/reinstall and "Repair" procedure repeatedly with no effect.

No matter what I try (updates, uninstall/reinstall), Repair, etc.), plugging in the device ALWAYS shows the following:

post-110006-0-15329300-1360451348_thumb.jpg

IOW, I always get ONE (1) Roxio... device and ONE (1) USB Audio Device that "points to" the Roxio Video Capture Device. BTW, when the video works the audio comes through just fine. Properties shows:

post-110006-0-77709300-1360451569_thumb.jpg

post-110006-0-33847900-1360451585_thumb.jpg

I don't know whether this will help, but here are the two "Hardware ID" properties:

post-110006-0-52901900-1360451621_thumb.jpg

post-110006-0-76685300-1360451634_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts about this would be appreciated. I did download drivers found by drilling down on the Roxio Support website, but found the dates on the driver files were earlier than the ones that came on the CD so have not done anything with them. And yes, I have gone around and around with Corel Support by email to absolutely no effect - support never reads my replies so always loops back to the same standard suggestions (all of which I have tried repeatedly).

18 answers to this question

I don't really understand what you question is regarding the Roxio USB Capture device. THe Roxio USB device should appear twice if it installed correctly.

There are no other drivers to download from anywhere, they all come with your package. The only thing you have to make sure is that the device is not plugged in when you are installing VHS2DVD 3. The device should only be plugged in after the software has been installed and that is where the correct drivers are installed.

As to the dropout they usually occur when there are blank spots on the VHS tape and this does not occur for all. It sometimes occurs for some VHS players or camcorders and not for others. This problems also occurs with other programs and capture devices and is not solely a Roxio problem

Edited by myguggi

I don't really understand what you question is regarding the Roxio USB Capture device. THe Roxio USB device should appear twice if it installed correctly....The device should only be plugged in after the software has been installed and that is where the correct drivers are installed.

Walt, I thought the question was obvious, i.e., why does the device NEVER install with the two Roxio drivers, but instead picks up what appears to be some generic USB Audio driver? This happened upon the original program install, after several uninstall/reinstall-the-driver attempts, and after performing several "Repair" procedures. And yes, I make sure the device is unplugged before any of these installation attempts. Based on your response, another way to phrase the question is, how do I get the #@!!%# thing to install properly? The only thing I haven't tried is to completely obliterate the program installation and start over using the CD (assuming I don't run into a "single installation" fiasco - I have read about horror stories dealing with Roxio/Corel uninstalls).

sk - thanks, but i don't have anything with pass-through capability to try. If Roxio really is too sensitive to dropouts or whatever, I may be forced to do for all my tapes what I did successfully with a couple:

- Record using Windows Movie Maker or Golden Video with the USB device.

- Convert .wmv or .avi files to .mpeg.

- Use the Roxio "import" function to edit and burn.

FYI, a KB article on the Roxio support site says you can import DV-AVI files, but the only option available in the program is .mpeg/.mpg file types. This was confirmed by a Corel Customer Support person (the only straight answer I ever got from them).

Some of your "issues" are self-inflected...

You never stated what version of Windows you have? (it works with all of them but it helps us)

If you didn't install it properly in the first place, it should look like this:

post-39730-0-68486900-1360521225_thumb.jpg

Done correctly, it will appear this way:

post-39730-0-57225200-1360521217_thumb.jpg

What I suggest is that you plug and unplug the device with the Device Manager Window open and expanded to see what shows up with it plugged in.

If there are 2 entries, Uninstall BOTH!

Unplug the device and put it away until much later.

Turn Off you Anti Virus (it may interfere)

And then put in your EVD 3 Disc and choose Repair when it is offered.

WHEN DONE, turn on your AV and Reboot!

Should work properly now and the entries should be as I have indicated.

Let us know ;)

Some of your "issues" are self-inflected...

Jim, I have no idea where you are going with that comment, but it is not at all helpful so I am going to ignore it. You said, "You never stated what version of Windows you have?" To quote exactly my first post:

"Dell Dimension 8400 P4 3.4 GHz, 3GB Ram, 300GB HDD with 240 GB free, XP SP3 X86, all updates and system "cleans" performed as instructed by Roxio and on this forum, only other USB device connected is a mouse, tried various USB ports, have gone through the uninstall/reinstall and "Repair" procedure repeatedly with no effect." (emphasis added).

You said, "If you didn't install it properly in the first place, it should look like this:" As is obvious from the first pic in my first post, that is NOT what my Device Manager looks like with the device installed - there are no other "Other Devices" or anything pointing to the device except for the two I have been talking about all along, both under SVG controllers, and of course the "USB Composite Device" down under USB Serial Bus Controllers. As you requested, the only difference in Device Manager with the device unplugged is that these three entries disappear.

You said, "If there are 2 entries, Uninstall BOTH!" That is exactly what I have done repeatedly.

You said: "Unplug the device and put it away until much later.

Turn Off you Anti Virus (it may interfere)

And then put in your EVD 3 Disc and choose Repair when it is offered.

WHEN DONE, turn on your AV and Reboot!"

O.K., that is what I have done on multiple occasions in accordance with instructions on at least 2 dozen previous threads, but I will try one more time, this time letting the device "cool" overnight, then let you know the outcome.

Well, the plot thickens. This morning I did the Repair exactly as Jim suggested. After Repair, I watched carefully the Device Manager screen as I plugged in the device. FOR AN INSTANT, I saw TWO "Roxio Video Capture" entries under SVG Controllers, the second one with a yellow exclamation point. In about a second, the screen blinked and then showed exactly what I posted before - ONE "Roxio" and ONE "USB Audio", both working properly. I thought I had seen this intermittent flash after a previous Repair attempt, but this time I was looking for it. NOTE: after this first "flash", every time I re-plug in the device, the "USB Audio" entry comes up immediately.

Does it make sense that the Roxio device or program is looking for a Roxio driver, doesn't find one or finds one with a problem, so reverts to the generic Microsoft one and then "remembers" that on subsequent occasions?

Corel Support suggested I plug the device into another computer to see what happens, so I did. Plugged into a WIN 7 64-bit machine, I get the "incorrect installation" screen Jim showed - an error for "Roxio" under "Other Devices." This makes sense, of course, because the program is not installed on this machine.

Corel Support sent a link to a driver download to try. I will let you know whether that works.

UN-install both entries, remove the Roxio USB Capture Device, reboot the PC.

When it's up and running shut down all programs including antivirus and firewall, run repair again and reboot the PC.

When it's up and running open Device Manager and plug in the Roxio USB Capture Device, what shows?

UN-install both entries, remove the Roxio USB Capture Device, reboot the PC.

When it's up and running shut down all programs including antivirus and firewall, run repair again and reboot the PC.

When it's up and running open Device Manager and plug in the Roxio USB Capture Device, what shows?

O.K., cd, I will try that because it is slightly different from previous attempts (the reboot after uninstall).

But more has been tried with no success. I downloaded the driver file Corel Support suggested and installed it per the setup. First I chose "Repair" from the setup options with no benefit. So I redid the whole thing again, choosing "Modify" from the setup menu. Same result I have been getting all along - the same quick "two Roxio" drivers (one dead) showing, then quickly reverting to one Roxio and one USB Audio (both working properly). BTW, I noticed that the downloaded driver files all have an earlier date (around January 2012) than the same files extracted from the CD (around May 2012).

So next I completely uninstalled the Roxio program and reinstalled using the CD with device unplugged, AV off, and nothing else running, of course. I did NOT install the downloaded drivers. End result - exactly the same as I always get.

Stay tuned.

O.K. did just what cd suggested. After Repair/reboot (didn't even turn AV/Firewall back on), plugged in device. What shows is the same momentary one good Roxio driver and one disabled Roxio driver under SVG Controllers, then the screen flashes back to the exact same Device Manager as shown in the first pic in my first post. In other words, no difference at all than anything else that has been tried. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Does anyone know how the USB Device actually works? I know it would have an A/D converter, but is there some tiny brain in there that goes looking for drivers when it is plugged in, and then stores the info when it finds one (even the wrong one that I see)?

Edited by Sonycam

O.K., cd, I will try that because it is slightly different from previous attempts (the reboot after uninstall).

But more has been tried with no success. I downloaded the driver file Corel Support suggested and installed it per the setup. First I chose "Repair" from the setup options with no benefit. So I redid the whole thing again, choosing "Modify" from the setup menu. Same result I have been getting all along - the same quick "two Roxio" drivers (one dead) showing, then quickly reverting to one Roxio and one USB Audio (both working properly). BTW, I noticed that the downloaded driver files all have an earlier date (around January 2012) than the same files extracted from the CD (around May 2012).

So next I completely uninstalled the Roxio program and reinstalled using the CD with device unplugged, AV off, and nothing else running, of course. I did NOT install the downloaded drivers. End result - exactly the same as I always get.

Stay tuned.

Would you do Jim, sknis, and I a favor Pm me the instructions Roxio sent you including the link to these drivers your talking about?

If you have the wrong drivers showing in device manager with the device plugged in no amount of repair, uninstall, reinstall, is going to help until the wrong drivers are uninstalled from device manager first!

Would you do Jim, sknis, and I a favor Pm me the instructions Roxio sent you including the link to these drivers your talking about?

If you have the wrong drivers showing in device manager with the device plugged in no amount of repair, uninstall, reinstall, is going to help until the wrong drivers are uninstalled from device manager first!

cd, Please see the "edit" to my previous post for more info, but here is the next-to-latest from Corel Support with the driver link:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the driver from the website did not work to fix the issue, try this one:

http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/downloads/gcc/HU319DriverX86_ZC120118010.exe

Just a quick question, where did you plug the USB device? At the front or back

panel of your computer? Avoid using the front panel as it does not have enough

power and might affect the devices performance.

Have you tried to insert the USB device on another computer? This way, we would

be able to check if the device is really faulty.

If all else fails, do a re-installation. Note: Do not insert the USB device

during installation of the program as it may cause unnecessary issues.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

Regards,

Jenniffer

Corel Customer Support Services

To check on the status of your case, log in at: https://www.corel.com/corel/login.jsp

and select Support Cases.

Dont forget to check out our Discovery Center which showcases an extensive

collection of creative video learning tutorials with step-by-step instructions.

Learn more: http://www.corel.com/discovery

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think any of the previous emails from Corel Support will help any - just basic stuff that I have tried a dozen times.

Question: I always "uninstall" the two drivers from Device Manager (using right click>uninstall) and unplug the device before doing any of the attempts at fixing the problem - including completely re-installing the program, but is there some other more forceful way to disable these erroneous drivers?

And here is the very latest email I got from Corel just a few minutes ago:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support.

At first, the USB device will install the drivers. Once your computer recognized

the device, it will not look for any drivers or updates every time it is used

for capture. The program itself will not look for the USB device unless you are

doing a capture.

Can you provide a screenshot of your Device Manager with the USB device plugged

in?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-PH/windows-xp/help/setup/take-a-screen-shot

For me to further investigate the issue, please provide your DirectX file. To

get your dxdiag:

- Go to the START Menu, and then on Run text box type dxdiag (without quotes).

Click OK.

- The DirectX diagnostic screen will appear.

- Click on "Save All Information."

- Save the file "DxDiag.txt" to your Desktop for easier access.

- Send the file as an attachment on your next reply.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

Regards,

Jenniffer

Corel Customer Support Services

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't responded to this latest one yet but will, and let you know of anything further from the Corel Support front.

Latest - heard from Corel Support after providing dxdiag.txt and screenshots. The only suggestion was that the video drivers appear to be out of date (2006). I had searched for updated drivers before installing Roxio the first time and found none later than 2006 on the Dell website, or anything on the AMD/ATI site that I was sure fit my card (there were a dozen versions of the Radeon X300 card - mine is ATI 128 MB PCI-Express X16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) Radeon X300 SE, according to Dell when I put in service tag number). The latest driver from Dell is dated March 2006 so it might be an update over what is currently installed - can't really tell (dxdiag says it is February 2006).

Does anyone think the drivers may be the problem? And does anyone have advice about updating video drivers (things to do, things to avoid, etc.)? Appreciate any help with this sticky wicket.

Here is an interesting turn of events (while still looking for an updated driver for the Dell 8400). I also sent this to Corel Support.

I have an old hp laptop that I had cleaned up and was going to give away. I didn't want to use this for video capture because I figured it was bare minimum specs (Pavillion xt395, Pentium 4 2.00 GHz, 512 MB RAM, XP Home w/SP3, 40 GB HD (30 GB free), ATI Mobility M6 video card).

Anyway, this morning I installed the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3+ program on the laptop - after doing all the pre-installation prep, of course. [The program will not stay on this machine - I just wanted to see what would happen]. Program installed fine, but when I plugged in the USB device, Device Manager went through several refreshes initially showing 5 or 6 dysfunctional "Other Devices", decreasing in number by one with each refresh until they were all gone and SVG Controllers showed the exact same listings as on the other computer (i.e., ONE "Roxio Video Capture Device" and ONE "USB Audio Device". The "refreshes" were slower than on the Dell desktop, I assume because it is a much slower machine.

So I get the same thing on two different computers. What does that tell you?

YEEEHAAAA!! After all this time and effort, here is the latest from Jenniffer at Corel Support:

"I did a series of tests on our USB device. The device would install two items. In Windows 7, 8 and most likely in Vista, it will install two drivers: Roxio Video Capture USB. In Windows XP, it will install one Roxio Video Capture USB and one USB Audio Device."

So I guess what I have is as good as it gets and will try to live with the original issue (sensitivity to dropouts and/or loss of frame lock). :wacko:

Those of you who routinely help out folks with video capture problems may want to keep this in mind. And I really appreciate the efforts you made along the way - thanks. :)

YEEEHAAAA!! After all this time and effort, here is the latest from Jenniffer at Corel Support:

"I did a series of tests on our USB device. The device would install two items. In Windows 7, 8 and most likely in Vista, it will install two drivers: Roxio Video Capture USB. In Windows XP, it will install one Roxio Video Capture USB and one USB Audio Device."

So I guess what I have is as good as it gets and will try to live with the original issue (sensitivity to dropouts and/or loss of frame lock). :wacko:

Those of you who routinely help out folks with video capture problems may want to keep this in mind. And I really appreciate the efforts you made along the way - thanks. :)

Either your confused what Jenifer said or she is wrong! The device doesn't install any drivers. In fact if you plugin the device before installing the software that installs the drivers for the USB Capture Device, Windows will install generic wrong drivers and the device/software won't work.

The way the drivers are installed in diffent operating systems is no secret and we have posted hundreds of pics on the forum showing the correct drivers installed on them.

The driver file, support had you download, is a Windows Installer file from 'VHSTODVD_30' folder.

post-97-0-78696900-1360769609_thumb.jpg

Looks like a revised 'ROXIOVHS3X86.msi' file for your x86 32bit OS.

So what is all the YEEEHAAAA!! about?

What's fixed?

Either your confused what Jenifer said or she is wrong! The device doesn't install any drivers. In fact if you plugin the device before installing the software that installs the drivers for the USB Capture Device, Windows will install generic wrong drivers and the device/software won't work.

The way the drivers are installed in diffent operating systems is no secret and we have posted hundreds of pics on the forum showing the correct drivers installed on them.

The driver file, support had you download, is a Windows Installer file from 'VHSTODVD_30' folder.

post-97-0-78696900-1360769609_thumb.jpg

Looks like a revised 'ROXIOVHS3X86.msi' file for your x86 32bit OS.

So what is all the YEEEHAAAA!! about?

What's fixed?

Starting at the bottom, "what's fixed" is I can get on with using the device with all its shortcomings (Note I never said it didn't work at all, I just wasn't convinced it was working up to par).

The YEEEHAAA!! is to note that apparently I am not the complete idiot I was beginning to believe, and as I'm sure you folks have thought all along.

Quote: Either your confused what Jenifer said or she is wrong! The device doesn't install any drivers.

Are you sure about that? I had asked her the question: Does the device go looking for drivers when you first plug it in and does it then "remember" those drivers the next time it is used, or does the program itself install the drivers? Her answer, copied from my post above:

"At first, the USB device will install the drivers. Once your computer recognized the device, it will not look for any drivers or updates every time it is used for capture. The program itself will not look for the USB device unless you are doing a capture."

That sounds to me like it is the device that "polls" the computer/Roxio program looking for drivers and "embeds" whatever it finds somewhere, either on board or on the hard disk. If there is no Roxio to be had, sounds like it is happy with any old generic drivers it finds. (Remember when I asked if anyone knew how this thing actually worked, and there was no response?) I think this fits many of the cases on this forum that I have read, including the need to scrub the installed drivers when doing a Repair, etc.

We now have three known cases of EVtoD installing one Roxio and one USB Audio driver in XP (my two and Jenniffer's one), and one case (mine) where that situation results in video and audio capture. That may not be how it is supposed to work, but it seems that is the way it does work.

Happy Capture.

Starting at the bottom, "what's fixed" is I can get on with using the device with all its shortcomings (Note I never said it didn't work at all, I just wasn't convinced it was working up to par).

The YEEEHAAA!! is to note that apparently I am not the complete idiot I was beginning to believe, and as I'm sure you folks have thought all along.

Quote: Either your confused what Jenifer said or she is wrong! The device doesn't install any drivers.

Are you sure about that? I had asked her the question: Does the device go looking for drivers when you first plug it in and does it then "remember" those drivers the next time it is used, or does the program itself install the drivers? Her answer, copied from my post above:

"At first, the USB device will install the drivers. Once your computer recognized the device, it will not look for any drivers or updates every time it is used for capture. The program itself will not look for the USB device unless you are doing a capture."

That sounds to me like it is the device that "polls" the computer/Roxio program looking for drivers and "embeds" whatever it finds somewhere, either on board or on the hard disk. If there is no Roxio to be had, sounds like it is happy with any old generic drivers it finds. (Remember when I asked if anyone knew how this thing actually worked, and there was no response?) I think this fits many of the cases on this forum that I have read, including the need to scrub the installed drivers when doing a Repair, etc.

We now have three known cases of EVtoD installing one Roxio and one USB Audio driver in XP (my two and Jenniffer's one), and one case (mine) where that situation results in video and audio capture. That may not be how it is supposed to work, but it seems that is the way it does work.

Happy Capture.

Believe what you want, what I said above, I will stand behind as 100% correct.

Most of what you said above is wrong, so I don't know if you were told that or your assuming that!

cd is skeptical because of the fact that no device will ever look for a driver...

Now Windows will see the interrupt, poll the device to see what it is and look to see if it has a Driver for that type of device...

It does not!!!!

So it will then install the best driver that it thinks will work for that device... It Won't!!!

However, if the Software is installed FIRST, the drivers are there and registered with Windows, so then they are invoked when the device is inserted.

That is how it works in the real world of computers and nothing can change that ;)