• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No Display When Putting In 2Nd Tape - Split From Unrelated Thread

rexualhealing

Question

I have a similar problem. Everything will work and I capture an entire tape and then when I put in another tape, I get no video displayed in the program. It seems to be related to the tape as some work and some don't but the ones that won't work using the USB capture device look just fine on the TV. I was concerned that the tapes were the problem so I plugged in to a TV just to be sure and they all look fine. The 2 Roxio USB entries are in the correct place in Device Manager. I don't believe the installation is the problem as I have captured several tapes but there seems to be no way to force it to display the video I know is there. Personally I get the feeling that this capture device/software is too sensitive considering what people are going to be send to it.

I am looking for suggestions so anything would be appreciated.

I am running an AMD Phrnom II X4 965 Processor @ 3.40 GHZ with 8G RAM. Using Windows 7 64 bit service pack 1

9 answers to this question

I appologize as I had no intention to "hijack" anything. I have never posted before and his expressions of the problems and product in the initial post seemed to mirror mine. (unless I used the wrong one)

I receive no video from several tapes that I put in the VCR and hit start. These tapes ( I have only found 2 so far) play and look fine on the TV but when I send the VCR output to the capture device that came with the VHS to DVD kit, it says no video input . I put in other tapes and they look and capture fine. I can remove the tape and insert it again and the they still don't work.

Edited by rexualhealing

Often if the VCR is outputting a weak signal, the Roxio Video Capture USB, will have trouble picking it up, mistaking it for noise...

I have sent you an IM, check your messages - post-39730-0-65240900-1360784506_thumb.jpg

Some users have had luck with rigging up a Pass Through. You use the VCR Output and hook it up to a second VCR, DVD or BD Player, then run the output from that device into your Roxio Video Capture USB.

Honestly most pass thoughs, do not amplify anything but the newer device may produce a stronger signal... Might explain why we get conflicting reports of success or failure ;)

Well, as luck would have it nothing seems to be like it was. I sent the VHS signal through the second VCR and saw no difference in capture as the places where the sound or picture would drop out were still there.

I went back to try the 8MM tapes I was originally having trouble with and couldn't find which ones were the problem. I had gone ahead and used my camcorder to play them via Firewire and didn't keep then separate so I would know which ones they were althought I was pretty sure of one. Now, when I try the tapes in the 8MM VCR, they all seem to work. I didn't want to have to use the camcorder to play them for capture so I was really forcing the issue with the 8MM VCR. I was seriously considering buying another capture device but, unless something changes I don't see the need. Somehow I am sure that as soon as I click post the troubles will start all over again as I have several dozen tapes left to do. Thanks Jim for the help.

Update to my last post but I remembered that I had changed the Roxio USB capture device to a USB 3.0 port after reading that suggestion on a forum somewhere to do that for the additional "power" the 3.0 port provides. I didn't notice a difference in stopping the dropouts in the tape I was recording at the time but that might be why all the tapes that I thought wouldn't work now all seemed to work. I had lost track of the tapes that wouldn't capture after I used the camcorder via Firewire to do the capture instead of he USB device. I would suggest giving it a try if nothing else works, ya just never know.