• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Hdmi->Dvi Converter Issues Like Everyone Else

Ednon

Question

I've searched a bunch on this forum because I noticed a lot of people had the same issue as me.

I use a computer monitor to play with my Xbox 360. It doesn't have an HDMI input, only a VGA and DVI-D input, so I bought an HDMI->DVI-D cable (one piece, no converter). I've played games like this for the past 6 months and haven't had a problem. I know it isn't the cable. This monitor's single purpose is to act as a monitor for my Xbox360, so there aren't any other inputs going into it. It also detects when there's a signal and automatically goes to it, so I don't have to manually switch from VGA to DVI.

When I have everything installed and all the correct cables plugged into the GameCapture card, I don't get anything that shows up on the monitor. There's a green light, meaning it's receiving a signal, but it's a black screen. If it weren't getting a signal, it would be yellow. My monitor is capable of working at 1080p and that's the resolution I normally play on when I'm using my HDMI->DVI-D cable. I tried to change the display resolution on my Xbox360 anyway and it didn't help. Using the Roxio GameCapture software, I can perfectly see that there's a signal from my Xbox360 to the capture device. I can see my Xbox dashboard on the preview screen on my computer and I can hear the sounds (through my computer speakers) while scrolling around.

My setup up is this: A regular HDMI cable goes from my Xbox360 to the GameCapture card, then my HDMI->DVI-D cable (the one I USUALLY use for gaming and know it works) goes from the GameCapture card to my monitor. The USB is plugged into my computer, which definitely passes the recommended specs.

I know the ONLY work around people have really been able to suggest is to spend another $5 on a HDMI splitter from Amazon. I assume you plug the splitter on the back of the Xbox360, put one HDMI cable in that leads to the Roxio GameCapture device, and the other HDMI->DVI-D cable to my monitor. My question with that is, does that even really work? Looking at some of the reviews on Amazon, I've seen several people have problems where a splitter will degrade the HDMI signal to the point where nothing will show up anyway.

Thanks for any help I can get. I hope this first post explained everything I needed to.

Same Problem here so I decided to check to see what the problem was.

Basically the monitor is waiting for information the HD Pro is not giving because it is just passing the signal through is what I figure.

When I pluged it into my TV it worked, but my TV can take just about anything and figure out the best way to display it.

When I pluged the hdmi donlge into my computer video card it worked.

It is the HD Pro which is not telling my monitor what to do and my monitor is not programed to just display with whatever it gets like the TV.

I'm guessing anyway.

Hopefully this can be updated....

I have my capture card boxed up and ready to be shipped back for a refund if I can't get a plausible solution soon.

While I'm here, does anyone know if there are ANY capture cards that DON'T have this issue of HDMI->DVI cables? I hear the Hauppauge has a similar issue too. If it turns out it's nearly impossible to work with this cable, I may just give up on trying to record games.

I have my capture card boxed up and ready to be shipped back for a refund if I can't get a plausible solution soon.

While I'm here, does anyone know if there are ANY capture cards that DON'T have this issue of HDMI->DVI cables? I hear the Hauppauge has a similar issue too. If it turns out it's nearly impossible to work with this cable, I may just give up on trying to record games.

Name and model # of that monitor that is not working?

That's the trouble my monitor will not let me set it manually under the DVI (Digital) port. Mine is a Lenovo L220x and according to the manual for the DVI to work the source signal must tell the monitor what to do.

Since I am using a Wii I only have the option for component in and HDMI out to this monitor for a decent picture but the Roxio Device just sends out a generic HDMI signal.

My LG HD 3d TV which is a lot newer than my monitor has more internal automatic settings to find a way to display the signal.

The problem though is that I bought this so I could use my computer monitor to play. The recording feature is secondary to me and since there is a 2 second delay it does not work to play.

If the device was programed to provide the appropriate VESA settings my monitor requires that will solve my problem.

I am going to try tonight to route through HDMI > DVI > RGB Analog just to see what happens...

This is the monitor I have

http://www.microcenter.com/product/349748/25_Widescreen_LCD_Monitor

I can't set it manually to the DVI channel after everything is plugged in for some reason, the signal makes the monitor flicker and the buttons on it won't let me chose any options. Even when I set it to DVI before I turn on the GameCapture card, I get nothing on the screen.

It could be that the monitor is not HDCP compliant and your using a HDMI from the RGC Device to the DVI connection on the monitor.

I have a similar problem with a older Samsung Monitor. Do you have a TV with HDMI you could go from RGC Devive to TV with HDMI?

I've never seen that message on my monitor before

This is the exact same model: http://www.geeks.com...d=IH254DPB-PB-R

It says HDCP support

• Connectors:
  • One (1) 15-pin VGA
  • One (1) DVI-D with HDCP

Yes, that monitor says that (One (1) DVI-D with HDCP Support) but the link to where you bought yours didn't!

They make several variations of the same monitor as each improvement adds $'s to the cost.

Sorry if my first post was misleading then. Everything ELSE works.

The GameCapture card works, the software works, I can see the preview on my computer and I can record.

The ONLY issue is that I can't see a signal on my monitor coming from the GameCapture card, and I know it isn't the HDMI->DVI-D wire because I'm using it for my Xbox360 right now.

A lot has been posted since lunch, I just finnished reading up on the video standards and the results are,

If input is Component and output is HDMI:

• The DVI-I and DVI-D standards do not include reading a YPbPr signal originating over HDMI interface. (From what I read so far.) Thus the YPbPr single passing through the HDMI will not be interoperable with a DVI & RGB only monitor.

You would need to have a custom monitor that supports YPbPr signaling over DVI-I/DVI-D (basically have an HDMI port, which makes the attempt to try this obsolete).

Summary -> Input Component / Output HDMI to DVI on a DVI/RGB only Monitor (non-HDMI & non-YPbPr compliant) is not compatable.

Edited by Kronah

I don't know what to tell you...

I tried a similar setup - HDMI out of the RGC and using a HDMI/DVI-D adapter, it works fine :huh:

I could try a splitter, but if my Monitor already Works with the HDMI/DVI-D adapter, I don't see that it would prove anything...

Is there any way you can try another monitor with it??? Otherwise make sure you can try and return a splitter before you plunk down the $50 for one!

I just ordered a powered splitter from Amazon for about $22. Amazon is generally good with returns. I'll be testing it out next Wednesday hopefully, and if nothing changes I'm returning everything.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll give an update when I get to test things out. Hopefully this works.