• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

vinylsol1

'Add New Unlinked Button' stays grayed

Question

Compared to all the complex things people are trying to do, this seems really simple but - call me thick - I can get it to work! I have created a movie of ten music clips, with each one as a separate chapter. On the main menu page there is one link which, when you click it, takes you down to the second menu level, where the ten chapters are listed. Then, if you click the first chapter, it starts playing from the beginning and plays through to the end. So far, everything hunky dory. What I wanted to do was to change the link at the top menu to read 'Select Song' and then add a second link which would just 'Play All' without going down to the chapter menu (Just like a real music DVD I guess!). I figured that the way to do this would be to add an unlinked button to the top menu and then link it directly to the movie. But it doesn't work. Seems simple enough - the help screens say that to add an unlinked button you click on the menu icon in the Project View screen then select Add New Unlinked Button from the DVD Menu. I've clicked everywhere clickable in the Project View area but the 'Add New..' option remains stubbornly grayed. Incidentally, so does 'Delete Current Menu', 'Edit Menu Background', 'Add Menu Overlay' and 'Select Thumbnail'. I have Roxio Creator 8 Suite Home Version 3.0.0.

If anyone can help with this I'd be much obliged.

Incidentally, I notice that Roxio are offering the opportunity to download their 314 page manual 'free of charge' so us users can then use up $100 worth of ink and paper printing it out. Sigh. I remember when software came with a box full of manuals. :):huh:

18 answers to this question

Compared to all the complex things people are trying to do, this seems really simple but - call me thick - I can get it to work! I have created a movie of ten music clips, with each one as a separate chapter. On the main menu page there is one link which, when you click it, takes you down to the second menu level, where the ten chapters are listed. Then, if you click the first chapter, it starts playing from the beginning and plays through to the end. So far, everything hunky dory. What I wanted to do was to change the link at the top menu to read 'Select Song' and then add a second link which would just 'Play All' without going down to the chapter menu (Just like a real music DVD I guess!). I figured that the way to do this would be to add an unlinked button to the top menu and then link it directly to the movie. But it doesn't work. Seems simple enough - the help screens say that to add an unlinked button you click on the menu icon in the Project View screen then select Add New Unlinked Button from the DVD Menu. I've clicked everywhere clickable in the Project View area but the 'Add New..' option remains stubbornly grayed. Incidentally, so does 'Delete Current Menu', 'Edit Menu Background', 'Add Menu Overlay' and 'Select Thumbnail'. I have Roxio Creator 8 Suite Home Version 3.0.0.

If anyone can help with this I'd be much obliged.

Incidentally, I notice that Roxio are offering the opportunity to download their 314 page manual 'free of charge' so us users can then use up $100 worth of ink and paper printing it out. Sigh. I remember when software came with a box full of manuals. :):huh:

Hi ithink this is what you want to do.

This has been asked tons of times. The 'play next movie' feature is ONLY in the Deluxe version by using the SETTINGS. This feature is 'grayed' out in all other versions.

As an option, you can have a PLAY ALL and SCENES buttons.

To make a play all button

The easiest way:

Open MyDVD

Click ADD MOVIE

Navigate to your file.

Hold down the Control key and click on each file.

Click Add button

This puts all the files under one button. If they aren't in the correct order, you can click on EDIT MOVIE. In the storyboard mode, just drag the panels in the correct order. Click BACK TO MENU

Rename the button PLAY ALL

Select the button and copy to clipboard

Move the button slightly

Paste back the clipboard

Move this button and rename SELECT SCENES (or whatever)

Right click on it and EDIT CHAPTER

Put a chapter mark where the begining of each movie was.

Done

You should have two buttons: Play ALL and Select Scenes

The Select Scenes button will take you to a submenu where the viewer can choose one of the files where you added chapter marks.

Thanks for posting a reply. I'm finding it a little confusing but if I've understood the reply correctly, I would be adding a second version of the same movie to the project, with a separate link. I didn't want to do this. I only wanted to have the movie linked once, but with two separate buttons, one playing the movie straight away and the other going down to the chapter menu. You've mentioned a 'play next movie' option but the option I was talking about is 'Add new unlinked button'...is this the same thing?

I would have thought that the option to add a button to the menu and then link it to a movie would be a pretty simple basic function and I'm astonished if I have to buy another version of the program to get it! Seems a bit like buying a car and then having to upgrade to get a steering wheel. But even so, I can't find any references to a deluxe version - the word deluxe isn't in the help screens, and where are the SETTINGS that you mention? Apart from the Project Settings for a the project themselves, I can't find these either.

On the Roxio update center webpage, when I click on 'Easy CD and DVD Creator' as the product I have, it takes me to a page offering Easy Media Creator 8 as an upgrade, but this looks like the product I already have. Doesn't say anything about a Deluxe version.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your reply and I do appreciate you posting so promptly after I had, but I would certainly appreciate any further clarification you could give me, thanks.

Thanks for posting a reply. I'm finding it a little confusing but if I've understood the reply correctly, I would be adding a second version of the same movie to the project, with a separate link. I didn't want to do this. I only wanted to have the movie linked once, but with two separate buttons, one playing the movie straight away and the other going down to the chapter menu. You've mentioned a 'play next movie' option but the option I was talking about is 'Add new unlinked button'...is this the same thing?

I would have thought that the option to add a button to the menu and then link it to a movie would be a pretty simple basic function and I'm astonished if I have to buy another version of the program to get it! Seems a bit like buying a car and then having to upgrade to get a steering wheel. But even so, I can't find any references to a deluxe version - the word deluxe isn't in the help screens, and where are the SETTINGS that you mention? Apart from the Project Settings for a the project themselves, I can't find these either.

On the Roxio update center webpage, when I click on 'Easy CD and DVD Creator' as the product I have, it takes me to a page offering Easy Media Creator 8 as an upgrade, but this looks like the product I already have. Doesn't say anything about a Deluxe version.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your reply and I do appreciate you posting so promptly after I had, but I would certainly appreciate any further clarification you could give me, thanks.

Hi just had a play around in My DVD 8 i added the second button as in my first post and the file size indicator down the bottom stayed at the same size it did'nt increase until i added the chapter points and created the sub menu. I've got the deluxe version i added an unlinked button then linked it to the main movie created the chapter points and ended up with the same file size as the first way. I think my first post is a workaround for those that have the suite version.

I would be adding a second version of the same movie to the project, with a separate link.
No , you would not be adding a second version of the file. That is what happened in V7, but not in V8. In V8, both buttons 'point' to the same video on the DVD.

If you look at the top of EACH Help page, there is a disclaimer saying that some features may not be available in all versions. The Help covers all versions.

'Easy CD and DVD Creator' was last used for version 6. Since version 7, the suite has been called Easy Media Creator. If you go to Roxio Store, there are two separate ones. The Deluxe Suite has all features enabled plus teh Dazzle capture device and many more DVD menu styles.

Edited by ggrussell

No , you would not be adding a second version of the file. That is what happened in V7, but not in V8. In V8, both buttons 'point' to the same video on the DVD.

If you look at the top of EACH Help page, there is a disclaimer saying that some features may not be available in all versions. The Help covers all versions.

Thanks gary thats what i thought but was'nt 100% sure.

Thanks very much for the info - I was aware that the product did say that some functions were not available but I naturally expected this to be the more complex, high end functions - not something which is pretty basic. I feel like I've been conned - I've been enticed into buying a product which does half the job it's advertised as doing and then I've been told, yes, I can have the rest of the options if I pay for another version. But there y'go. That's the modern capitalistic world I suppose. Anyway, thanks for posting.

You haven't been 'conned'. All the features listed on teh box and the website are there. Most under $99 programs don't even have unlinked button feature so I would consider it more 'high end'.

Does Adobe Premiere Elements 2 have it?

Does Ulead Video Studio 10 have it?

Does Pinnacle Studio 10 have it?

All of the EMC8 versions have been out for sometime now. Anyone can sign up for this forum and you could have asked questions about the products here before purchasing.

Edited by ggrussell

You haven't been 'conned'. All the features listed on teh box and the website are there. Most under $99 programs don't even have unlinked button feature so I would consider it more 'high end'.

Does Adobe Premiere Elements 2 have it?

Does Ulead Video Studio 10 have it?

Does Pinnacle Studio 10 have it?

All of the EMC8 versions have been out for sometime now. Anyone can sign up for this forum and you could have asked questions about the products here before purchasing.

To quote from the top of the help page: For information about upgrading to take full advantage of all the features described in the online help, visit www.roxio.com.

Visiting Roxio.com and inquiring about the EMC8 upgrades, I find that I currently have installed the latest EMC8 upgrade, namely Build 805B30.

So, why is Add New Unlinked Button greyed out ?

To quote from the top of the help page: For information about upgrading to take full advantage of all the features described in the online help, visit www.roxio.com.

Visiting Roxio.com and inquiring about the EMC8 upgrades, I find that I currently have installed the latest EMC8 upgrade, namely Build 805B30.

So, why is Add New Unlinked Button greyed out ?

Because it's an option that is only available in the EMC 8 Deluxe Suite (builds start with 806), not in the EMC 8 Suite (Standard; builds starting in 800 or 805).

So is this full button editability available in EMC9? (I know, I know, that's a different forum... but it continues this thread :huh: )
No problem with that question here :)

Yes that option would be available in EMC 9. There is only one version of 9 and everything is functional. No greyed out options.

How do I upgrade my EMC 8 to the Premiere version?

What you want is EMC 8 Deluxe, which is no longer in production. You might be able to find it on e-bay or at one of your local stores like Best Buy. Or, you can upgrade to EMC 9.

What you want is EMC 8 Deluxe, which is no longer in production. You might be able to find it on e-bay or at one of your local stores like Best Buy. Or, you can upgrade to EMC 9.

This discussion has been going on for some time, but I have just started using EMC8 and found the same problem. All I need is an option to "play all". As with other contributors I feel I have been conned also. I have using Windows Movie Maker (bless Bill!!) together with MyDVD V5 for quite some time and one assumes that the later versions of MyDVD retain the existing features. MyDVD V5 "play all" is the only option. I have just today been told by Roxio that I need EMC8 DeLuxe Suite - no mention of it not being in production.

This discussion has been going on for some time, but I have just started using EMC8 and found the same problem. All I need is an option to "play all". As with other contributors I feel I have been conned also. I have using Windows Movie Maker (bless Bill!!) together with MyDVD V5 for quite some time and one assumes that the later versions of MyDVD retain the existing features. MyDVD V5 "play all" is the only option. I have just today been told by Roxio that I need EMC8 DeLuxe Suite - no mention of it not being in production.

Actually, the discussion on this ended over 3 months ago. ;) Look for EMC 8 Deluxe, on Roxio's main webpage. You won't find it. You might find it on e-bay.

If i can add my two penneth, i have EMC8 build 805b56b and not only is the link option greyed out, but add button is also greyed out. Is this correct? I can select different menu styles and the associated jpg shows thumbnails that are able to be positioned under the links. but when i load them i cannot add a button with a thumbnail, pretty basic stuff i would`ve thought, i`ve burnt a dvd before with Video and photo buttons that had thumbnails but it was more by accident than design, and i can`t for the life of me remember how i did it.

thanks

If i can add my two penneth, i have EMC8 build 805b56b and not only is the link option greyed out, but add button is also greyed out. Is this correct? I can select different menu styles and the associated jpg shows thumbnails that are able to be positioned under the links. but when i load them i cannot add a button with a thumbnail, pretty basic stuff i would`ve thought, i`ve burnt a dvd before with Video and photo buttons that had thumbnails but it was more by accident than design, and i can`t for the life of me remember how i did it.

thanks

If something worked before and now doesn't, then something on your system has changed. New programs or updates may be causing a conflict. If you've installed IE 7, uninstall it and roll back to IE 6 since IE 7 causes problems. You could also try a repair of your EMC8 thru add/remove programs.

I found a way to Play All. I am using Creator Suite 8 build 800B85C. Once I have added all the movies I want, I double click the first movie button and I get a screen with the first frame of the movie. Then I hold down the control key and press the r key. You get a settings menu pop up. The options on the menu after playing are:

Return to last menu

Play next movie in project

Go to

I click on the drop down menu under go to and point to the movie I want played next. I do this for all the buttons. After the last movie I have it go back to the main menu. I do this before I break the movies into chapters. When the first movie is already broken into chapters, the ctrl + r does not bring the settings menu up. Now when you click a movie to play, it will play all and go back to the main menu at the end.

c j g