• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Playback Workes But W/glitches Here&there

euphoria5150

Question

First to let you know where I come from.. I'm a senior tech (nearly 30 years), I have burnt over 5,000 DVDs... from about 20 different programs over the years.

Roxio 2012 Creator (MyDVD) I love the features and the stability/usability of the application. But, I have maybe a handful of DVDs, I have made through the software.

One glitch that I have seen when it comes back with playback, is here & there, it will glitch out for a sec. on the audio. and there will be a 'distortion' line that appears near the top, for a split second, and then goes back to playing ok.

I know alot of you will scream MEDIA, but i have used several types of disks - and my other burns through other programs work fine. DVD movies, Movie Maker movies, etc. 100%

I have tried multiple types of files w/the same effect - AVI, WMVs, etc.

Is there some update that needs to be done?

Thanks,

Russo

System - Dell Win7 64 bit

12 answers to this question

Burn (encode) to an ISO file or to a folder set. Play that with something like the free :VLC Player". If it has glitches, then we know it is not the burner. If it doesn't, we can narrow it down.

BTW, You can burn the ISO or folder set to a DVD in case you want to make multiple copies.

"Dell" doesn't mean much in terms of your computer's capabilities. Attach the dxdiag file to your reply. As a senior tech, you should know how to do that. Use the "more reply options" tab to get to the layout that will allow you to ATTACH the dxdiag txt file.

My media I'm using is a .avi file - 55:13 - 720x480 - Data Rate 1867 kps - total bitrate 2260 kps - FPS 29 - Audio 384kps - sample rate 48HZ.

Outputing to a DVDr - Memorex/Sony

I don't have the 'export as' highlight to export as a .ISO. The other guy was suggesting to save as a .ISO and just play it back on the computer system, rather than, burning it to a media. To rule out my burner, but I have made other DVDs through mp4/avis before with 'Windows Movie Maker' and they came out fine. I have also burnt many .ISOs from the system with great luck. I really don't believe it's the media, but rather the application... could it be I might have to just adjust some 'bit rate' setting, or another preference? Mayb e uncheck the 'Enable Intel Enchanced for Core/ NVIDIA CUDA / ATI Stream tech to speed up the video render' or some other sayings?

Thanks,

Russo

Hi Russo.

In this context 'Media' is the storage channel or tool where you're putting your data - the disc or hard drive. Your AVI is the data. [just to save confusion, not to criticize] I understand that you may not have seen any evidence of media problems with these discs written by other software, but it might help you to know that most of us here consider Memorex to be one of the lowest quality disc available, and we recommend better quality discs. They might prevent the glitches you have been seeing.

To Make an ISO

When you've set up the DVD you want to make in MyDVD, click on the red Burn button at the bottom right. You should then see the Burn Project options box appear.

post-208-0-64347400-1361241769_thumb.jpg

That box has three sections, and I've drawn a red line around the middle one. To 'burn' to an ISO, check the middle section 'Save disc image file' box, and uncheck the one above [burn to disc] and the one beloe [Create folder set].

Clicking the 'Burn' button now should write an ISO file at the location shown in my picture as C:\Users\Owner\Videos\ but you can alter that location with the 'Browse' button alongside.

You can play the ISO in one of several different software players to check it, and you can then use it with the Data > Burn Disc Image menu item of Creator to burn one or many copies to blank disc.

Regards,

Brendon

My media I'm using is a .avi file - 55:13 - 720x480 - Data Rate 1867 kps - total bitrate 2260 kps - FPS 29 - Audio 384kps - sample rate 48HZ.

Outputing to a DVDr - Memorex/Sony

I don't have the 'export as' highlight to export as a .ISO. The other guy was suggesting to save as a .ISO and just play it back on the computer system, rather than, burning it to a media. To rule out my burner, but I have made other DVDs through mp4/avis before with 'Windows Movie Maker' and they came out fine. I have also burnt many .ISOs from the system with great luck. I really don't believe it's the media, but rather the application... could it be I might have to just adjust some 'bit rate' setting, or another preference? Mayb e uncheck the 'Enable Intel Enchanced for Core/ NVIDIA CUDA / ATI Stream tech to speed up the video render' or some other sayings?

Thanks,

Russo

Someone has to break it to you, Memorex does not enjoy a high opinion around the industry... Sony doesn't make ANY discs at all so they can be spotty - depends on who the lowest bidder is :lol:

Verbatim (Singapore) and Taiyo Yuden (JVC) are 2 that are unquestionable!

As long as you are keeping projects to the 1 hour mark for a 4.7 GB and have MyDVD set to HQ you have done all you can ;)

If you don't set it to HQ, each and every time it will make its' own decision and I can guarantee it will be the worst one it can make :huh:

Likewise if you exceed 1 hour, per 4.7 GB disc, you will have to lower quality just like the Fit to Disc setting would...

Problem is that when you fall below the normal 8-9 mbps encoding rates, many Players have trouble reading them.

Try Brendon's recommendations, he has been here since the last ice age and is known for his good advice!

Well guys... I made it into a .ISO and it worked perfect! Burn it via DVD Shrink and no glitches on playback. Due to the fact, my laptop has burnt many DVDs (same media brand) through various programs w/o a glitch like I was experiencing, I'm going to chalk it up to be a Roxio Creator 2012 burning glitch.

I'm extremely happen that I got a solution, and that I can still create with Roxio 2012 and just burn through another program. Thanks again, you guys are the best!!!

That's looking better, Russo.

However I'd be interested in the result of burning the ISO to disc with Creator's Burn Disc Image. If that burns correctly [and I think it will] then that would suggest your glitch comes from burning the project to plastic at the same time as it is being encoded.

Often a system can't encode or build a DVD as fast as it can burn it, so the burning is paused at times to allow the encoding to catch up. This isn't a problem if you're 'burning' to an ISO or a folder set, but can cause tiny glitches on some DVD writers when you're burning straight to plastic. If this is what's happening to you you can still burn happily with Creator in the two steps - Create an ISO, and then burn the ISO to disc.

Cheers,

Brendon

Well guys... I made it into a .ISO and it worked perfect! Burn it via DVD Shrink and no glitches on playback. Due to the fact, my laptop has burnt many DVDs (same media brand) through various programs w/o a glitch like I was experiencing, I'm going to chalk it up to be a Roxio Creator 2012 burning glitch.

I'm extremely happen that I got a solution, and that I can still create with Roxio 2012 and just burn through another program. Thanks again, you guys are the best!!!

As I recall, DVD Shrink doesn't have the ability to burn to a disc, itself. You could set it to link to another program to burn, such as Nero.

Brandon, yeah, good thought, I might try that. I tested out my DVD disc in my TV player (a cheap one from Walmart) and it did skip at the same spots. I'm wondering that particular player needs clean. After the burn, I tested in a computer DVD player and it appeared to be ok.

I just can't believe it would glitch at the same spot if it was the disc (cuz this is another disc) or the player. But I might be wrong. I'm going to try a few other things, like have Roxio 2012 burn the ISO & yes, GrandpaBruce DVD shrink burns with my installed Nero.

Hoping I can get a good solution, but it could be a dirty player or something afterall... other discs have been acting funny lately.

[snip]

I just can't believe it would glitch at the same spot if it was the disc (cuz this is another disc) or the player. But I might be wrong. I'm going to try a few other things, like have Roxio 2012 burn the ISO & yes, GrandpaBruce DVD shrink burns with my installed Nero.

DVD Shrink is NOT doing the burning. Nero is. ;)