Question

I'm trying to burn a 2 hour 30 min DVD on Toast 11 however, after a long encoding process, an error message will pop up saying not enough space on the disc. It projects the footage to burn about 4.38GB worth. I'm using Verbatim DVD-R (capacity 4.7GB), so not sure what the problem is. The original footage is HD but the encode process downconverts to SD. I may have to go back and re-export a SD movie file, but that will tie up FCP for a long time.

Anyone experience this before or have any suggestions?

broactive

2 answers to this question

Well, keep in mind that a DVD by definition is SD, not HD, so that's not an abnormal thing. If you want HD on a DVD disc, you have to create an AVCHD project (which I suspect Toast can do, I'm on the Windows side of the fence). To play back an AVCHD disc, you need a Blu-Ray player capable of playing AVCHD discs.

As a rule of thumb, at best quality, figure on 1 hour of video on a single layer DVD disc like you're using, and 2 hours on a dual layer disc. So, to fit your 2 hour 30 minute video onto one, single layer disc, a lot of extra compression has to happen.

As for 4.7GB vs 4.38GB, that has to do with advertising. Verbatim's 4.7GB is 4,700,000,000 bytes, and assume 1 billion bytes is a GB. In computer terms, it's not. In computer terms, 1,073,741,824 bytes is 1GB. So, if you divide that out, you get 4.38GB (computer-wise) on a single layer DVD disc.

Now, why it' s complaining about running out of space, when it sounds like it's doing a "fit to disc" compression, I don't know. But I'd recommend you select either disc image or folder set as your destination, then write that to disc. Since I don't run Toast, I can't be much more specific.

Hope that helps!

That shouldn't happen but the best workaround is to choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. When the disc image is finished select it using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window and then click Burn. If the disc image is too large for the disc Toast will use its fit-to-DVD feature and all will be well.