• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tv Safe Zone.

smedge

Question

Hello Im wondering if any of you good people can help me. I recorded a friends wedding yesterday and have come to put it onto dvd this morning using Roxio nxt which i downloaded a couple of days ago. The problem im having is the widescreen footage from my camcorder when put into roxio looks fine but when i burn it the tv safe zone cuts of half the bride and grooms head (not a good look) when starting the edit i am using the widescreen option so its not that. Anyone know if the safe zone can be stopped.

Many thanks

Chris.

3 answers to this question

The TV safe zone is not a program feature. It is part of a TV display issue. Read this (link)

The current safe zone is much too large and is an approximate guide.; it was designed for the old tube type TV so it is about 85% of the full screen of the video. It is very conservative. Today's TV are more like 95 to 97 % of the screen. Notice that I am talking about the TV display; not the program.

You'll have to burn an actual DVD to be sure on what you get, Use an RW disc so you can reuse it. I don't think that you will cut off anything important if you just use the video as is. The only thing would be placement of any text. For that, I would use the original safe zone.

The easiest way to make sure that everything is inside the displayed zone is to put a color panel on the main track in Video Wave and add the movie as an overlay. You can use the corners of the overlay to enlarge/reduce the overlay to just where you want it.

Here is my recent experience and is based on using the 16:9 ratio setting when creating the slide shows. I just ignored the TV safe zone setting. Found it was too consertive for the new digital TVs. It was okay for the old analog TVs. The TV safe zone feature was just left turned off. Text was also used on many of the images and placed either near the top or bottom edges of the images without any ill-effect. The bottom of the text was kept about an 1/8" from the top or bottom of the image edge. The text was not affected at all. Of course, the TV used to display the images in the slide show is a digital TV with a 16:9 screen. The only difference is that the images are displayed with black borders along the sides, which are not bothersome to me. Others may not like these borders.