Help Selecting A New Computer

pam_mortensen

Question

I am going to purchase a new desktop computer. I do a great deal of vidio editing and love to make productions that are 1 hour or more long. I have a Sony DVD Handicam with HD surround sound and several other cameras with limited video capability. What specs should I look for that will run my video editing programs without any problems? I like to use special effects, music, transitions, etc.

Thank you in response for your input!

8 answers to this question

I am going to purchase a new desktop computer. I do a great deal of vidio editing and love to make productions that are 1 hour or more long. I have a Sony DVD Handicam with HD surround sound and several other cameras with limited video capability. What specs should I look for that will run my video editing programs without any problems? I like to use special effects, music, transitions, etc.

Thank you in response for your input!

Do you have a $$$ value you want to spend or is the sky the limit?

I just had a chat with Dell. I am thinking I would rather put my $$$ in the power than the size of the box. They have the XPS 8500 with 12 GB Ram, 3rd Gen i7 Processor, 2 TB HD with a dedicated NVidia GT 64 1 GB GDDR5 Graphic Card. I am not sure I need a Blue Ray Disc Burner but I can add that for another $150.

Does this sound powerful enough not to crash my Roxio all the time?

I just had a chat with Dell. I am thinking I would rather put my $$$ in the power than the size of the box. They have the XPS 8500 with 12 GB Ram, 3rd Gen i7 Processor, 2 TB HD with a dedicated NVidia GT 64 1 GB GDDR5 Graphic Card. I am not sure I need a Blue Ray Disc Burner but I can add that for another $150.

Does this sound powerful enough not to crash my Roxio all the time?

Sure does sound good enough and A BD Burner can be had from a place like newegg.com for half that price and you can add it later.

OOPs, be sure to check out the Outlet part of the Dell store (here).. They may have what you want or better for less money. They do come with the same warranty as a new one. If you don't see what you want, call them and ask. They have a lot not listed. I bought one a couple of years ago, it works perfectly and I could not tell it was not prime.

Edit: I don't know what their special costs but also look here for XPS 8500. It looks just the same as what you want for slightly less.

Edited by sknis