• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
sawtooth

Conversion Time

Question

How long does the Video Copy and Convert process take? In order to create a video clip, I am copying (via Convert Video) about 10 minutes from a dvd file to a video file. The status bar "Coding to MPEG-2..." reads 100%, but the window does not close even though "Close this dialog box when finished successfully" is selected. No files appear in the destination folder. It has been this way for over an hour.

Under Options, what is the difference between the Options-Format-Rendering choices, hardware vs. software?

thank you.

12 answers to this question

Hardware uses your hardware (video card). Software does not.

Most try the Hardware default but if there is sluggishness or errors, revert to Software.

Now for you perticular problem, something more than that is wrong with your software and it is time to Repair...

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Unplug your RGC Device and put it aside until you are completely finished.

Now insert your Roxio Disc (download version - run Install)

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.
Edited by Jim_Hardin

I have an installation CD. What is an RGC device?

thank you

That is using boiler plate without looking at it :lol::D:lol:

Roxio Game Capture ~ you don't have one, but otherwise the repair process is the same ;)

Thank you, I'm getting Roxio-Enlightened! Maybe you can respond to a related question I posted recently, but without response:

"I have Roxio Creator 11 which came installed on my Dell. It offers many great features, and there appears to be multiple ways of doing various tasks.

My questions:

1) what is the recommended method to save family movies from camcorder tape to DVD?

2) what is the recommended method to save the contents of this source tape, or DVD copy, to the hard drive on the computer? Which format? I am thinking ahead several years when I may wish to burn copies from the hard drive, and may no longer have this version of Roxio, or may no longer have a Corel product.

thank you "

Thank you!

•  

I ran the repair from the installation cd but no improvement. In Video Copy and Convert, under Options for either Copy DVD or Convert Video, there used to be 3 tabs. One of these tabs allowed you to select the recording speed. This tab is no longer visible.

Thank you, I'm getting Roxio-Enlightened! Maybe you can respond to a related question I posted recently, but without response:

"I have Roxio Creator 11 which came installed on my Dell. It offers many great features, and there appears to be multiple ways of doing various tasks.

My questions:

1) what is the recommended method to save family movies from camcorder tape to DVD?

2) what is the recommended method to save the contents of this source tape, or DVD copy, to the hard drive on the computer? Which format? I am thinking ahead several years when I may wish to burn copies from the hard drive, and may no longer have this version of Roxio, or may no longer have a Corel product.

thank you "

Thank you!

FIRST how are you going to get the camcorder contents to your PC??? Depending on your camcorder it could be a USB file transfer or a FireWire Capture or even require a Analog to Digital converter Hardware ~ depending on what you have???

Once on your PC You should go with 2 separate saving methods... DVD Movies will likely be around for some time to come and can later be imported. HQ MPEG files are also pretty well a long term Standard. (for mine I do BOTH!)

I ran the repair from the installation cd but no improvement. In Video Copy and Convert, under Options for either Copy DVD or Convert Video, there used to be 3 tabs. One of these tabs allowed you to select the recording speed. This tab is no longer visible.

You must follow the steps I outlined to effect any change!

Probably best to Print them so you have a checklist and run through it again.

Also do a short test piece using one of Windows sample WMV files that every computer has on it. Choose Computer or Archive for the destination and see what it does ;)

I was finally able to covert a video clip (this might actually be called one of the DVD titles) to mpeg4 with Copy and Convert. Updating the software, and switching between Options-Format-Rendering choices, hardware or software, seemed to do the trick. In the Video Copy and Convert Help Center, Adding and Editing Movies, it states "Note: In Convert Video mode, you can only select individual movie titles, not the full DVD with original menus and navigation." In the Roxio Learning Center, "Convert Video For Any Device with Roxio Easy Video Copy and Convert" it states "You can keep adding more video files to this list, of any type, then convert them all at once to one output format. This saves a lot of time." Do these statements refer to different limitations on how many different files shown in the Source window can be converted at once? Or must the individual files be converted one by one? The files in the Source Window seem to arrange themselves in order from longest to shortest time. Is there any way to maintain the original order from the source file? thank you

Good!

You need to start by understanding the terms.

If you Copy a DVD you get a copy and that includes menus, et al.

But you are Converting the movies of a DVD and that does not include menus etc... That cannot be done with any software and would be illegal for most situations :huh:

The way the converter is set up, each and every "clip" in the left pane will be output as a separate file OR in the case of a DVD a separate Title ;)

If you want to combine them, then you have to move to VideoWave rather than use VCC.

Above you make a good suggestion "Once on your PC You should go with 2 separate saving methods... DVD Movies will likely be around for some time to come and can later be imported. HQ MPEG files are also pretty well a long term Standard. (for mine I do BOTH!)"

What formats do DVD Movies and HQ MPEG refer to? thanks

DVD Movies are their own Authored format.

When I refer to an HQ MPEG, I am talking about an mpeg2 file format, 720 X 480 @ 8 mbps. (this is what the VOB files of a DVD Movie consist of when authored at HQ)

Of course the mpegs are just video files.

I am working only with family movies, nothing commercial or covered by copyright. I was successful in using Edit Video-Advanced (Videowave)-why don't they just call it Videowave on the Creator 11 front page?-in creating a production. This was from a high school concert DVD (copied to hard drive) where each performance was a separate title. Using transitions I created a project and rendered (from many choices offered) to mpeg4. The mpeg4 video quality was noticeably poorer than the original DVD files. Which format is best in this situation? Why do you use mpeg2 vs mpeg 4? Should I redo the project as mpeg2? thank you

DVD's ARE mpeg2...

MP4 should have been equal quality... What you might have done is try to render it UP or Down, either can degrade quality...

You have to pay attention to the numbers that go along with the pre-sets.