• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Copy Disc Will Not Work

egarmel

Question

I've been using Roxio Creator 9 for a long time and my Copy Disc function worked just fine. Suddenly, I would get a message saying to put a disc in my F drive when there was already one in it. I uninstalled Roxio Creator 9 (complete uninstall) and tried again. This time I get past the first screen and I get the circular timer which shows how long and how much has been copied. This screen just hangs there and ruins the blank disc. (tried using one in Windows Media to burn a CD and it wouldn't work) It never leaves zero completion. I tried the Copy and Convert DVD video function and I get the same result.

I know it's time for new software but I have a 2003 Dell PC and it probably wouldn't handle today's software. ( yes, I know I need a new PC but money is short now)

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

14 answers to this question

Regrets, but if you fail to burn using both Roxio and Microsoft software, then the burner function of the drive must become suspect.

Given its age, that has to be a very real possibility. If the drive is failing, no amount of new software will fix it.

Brendon

Thanks for responding Brendon. I thought about the drive but it will burn DVD's I create in Roxio and CDs I burn in Windows Media player. Since my Dell only came with a +RW drive, I bought an external LG drive so I could burn -Rs. It only fails when I try the Copy Disc functions in Creator 9.

Okay, the reference about using one in Windows Media Player was just to show Creator had written to the CD and ruined it? Sorry for my misunderstanding.

To check your DVD writing hardware is okay, I'd suggesting downloading a copy of the free ImgBurn from http://www.imgburn.com/

Use ImgBurn to first make an image of the DVD you want to copy, and then use it to write the image to disc. If that works, your hardware is okay.

If the hardware checks out, it may be that some setting or dll in Creator 9 has been broken, and that this setting or file isn't being corrected by a simple uninstall/reinstall. In this case you could download the freeware Revo uninstaller from here http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html and use it in Moderate Mode to uninstall EMC 9. Once you've done that, reinstall EMC 9 to your clean machine.

Please come back and let us know what you tried, and how it goes.

Brendon

Okay, the reference about using one in Windows Media Player was just to show Creator had written to the CD and ruined it? Sorry for my misunderstanding.

To check your DVD writing hardware is okay, I'd suggesting downloading a copy of the free ImgBurn from http://www.imgburn.com/

Use ImgBurn to first make an image of the DVD you want to copy, and then use it to write the image to disc. If that works, your hardware is okay.

If the hardware checks out, it may be that some setting or dll in Creator 9 has been broken, and that this setting or file isn't being corrected by a simple uninstall/reinstall. In this case you could download the freeware Revo uninstaller from here http://www.revounins...e_download.html and use it in Moderate Mode to uninstall EMC 9. Once you've done that, reinstall EMC 9 to your clean machine.

Please come back and let us know what you tried, and how it goes.

Brendon

Brendon,

Tried IMGburn but Wondershare wanted a licensed email address and serial number. My choices were to buy or get a free trial. I thought IMGburn was totally free so I passed on the download. Since everything else burns just fine, I am banking on my hardware to be OK.

I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and here is where I am in over my head. Did I mention I am 64 years old and have no technical expertise when it comes to my computer. I am retired but when I was at work, I depended on guys like you from the IT dept. Anyway, I chose Moderate and then the next window scared the hell out of me. It said Leftover Registry Items. At first, I just chose anything that said Roxio. Then I realized I didn't know what I was doing and canceled. If these are all leftover items, do I need any of them? I also have Real Player to download videos and I saw Real in some of the items to be checked. I decided that if I selected them all, I could really screw things up.

I do have a work around. I can use Advanced Video Editing and use the F drive to download the DVD I want to copy and then burn a copy of that in My DVD. Cumbersome but it will work.

Or what would happen if I skipped the Leftover Registry Items and continued with the uninstall. I have a feeling that might defeat the purpose of the uninstall.

Any suggestions or I wouldn't blame you if you gave up.

Jerry

Brendon,

Tried IMGburn but Wondershare wanted a licensed email address and serial number. My choices were to buy or get a free trial. I thought IMGburn was totally free so I passed on the download. Since everything else burns just fine, I am banking on my hardware to be OK.

I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and here is where I am in over my head. Did I mention I am 64 years old and have no technical expertise when it comes to my computer. I am retired but when I was at work, I depended on guys like you from the IT dept. Anyway, I chose Moderate and then the next window scared the hell out of me. It said Leftover Registry Items. At first, I just chose anything that said Roxio. Then I realized I didn't know what I was doing and canceled. If these are all leftover items, do I need any of them? I also have Real Player to download videos and I saw Real in some of the items to be checked. I decided that if I selected them all, I could really screw things up.

I do have a work around. I can use Advanced Video Editing and use the F drive to download the DVD I want to copy and then burn a copy of that in My DVD. Cumbersome but it will work.

Or what would happen if I skipped the Leftover Registry Items and continued with the uninstall. I have a feeling that might defeat the purpose of the uninstall.

Any suggestions or I wouldn't blame you if you gave up.

Jerry

What is Wondershare what does it have to do with IMGburn?

IMGburn is totally free, you get it from the website: http://www.imgburn.com/

I went back to the IMGburn website and saw that i had clicked on one of the many "Download Here" ad buttons. My mistake. I finally downloaded the right program and installed IMGburn. I was able to copy a disc and then burn it using IMGburn. So my hardware works. If I can't resolve my Creator 9 problem, I can use IMGburn.

Back to Revo Uninstaller. Can all the leftover registration items be deleted?

Jerry

Hi Jerry, I'm serveral years older than you, so Don't Panic! :)

I'll go hit my EMC 9 and have a look to see if anything looks vital, however I think you should be able to delete them all. You didn't say, but I hope you're working in Windows XP.

I should be back later today if all goes well.

Brendon

Okay, I've been and gone and done it!

No problem with the left-over registry entries, 452 of them in my case. They were all safe to delete.

All the left-over files and folders that Revo showed me were \Roxio\ ones, so they all went too.

There were a number of other things that EMC 9 had installed, such as the DivX utilities; MyDVD-VR; Drag-to-Disc; Sightspeed; and the Xingtone Ring tone programs. These could have been safely left, but I uninstalled them with Revo, accepting all the suggestions Revo made.

No difficulties experienced.

Best regards,

Brendon

Okay, I've been and gone and done it!

No problem with the left-over registry entries, 452 of them in my case. They were all safe to delete.

All the left-over files and folders that Revo showed me were \Roxio\ ones, so they all went too.

There were a number of other things that EMC 9 had installed, such as the DivX utilities; MyDVD-VR; Drag-to-Disc; Sightspeed; and the Xingtone Ring tone programs. These could have been safely left, but I uninstalled them with Revo, accepting all the suggestions Revo made.

No difficulties experienced.

Best regards,

Brendon

I unintalled Creator 9 and a service pack that was downloaded in December when I uninstalled the software using add/remove. After I deleted all the left over registries, a window popped up that said "CP Monitor will no longer start." I don't have any idea what that means.

I had difficulty installing Roxio the first time. It was almost done when it said Setup error code 0012, I cancelled the install and tried again. This time, no error but the program will not open. I get the window "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have no idea what I've done. I am frustrated beyond belief. I should have left well enough alone. Next stop. Geek squad at Best Buy if you can't help.

Jerry

Unless you have a contract with geek squad, save your money and upgrade to a newer program.

I do have a contract. And it might come to upgrading. I'm wondering if the registry is damaged and other programs may not work either. I could have the GS let me know what has happened before I invest in different software.

Jerry,

CP Monitor is some sort of non-Roxio performance monitor. I believe it isi available on download from the Internet if Revo uninstalled it, and you need it for some reason. It should have no bearing on EMC 9.

I have no personal experience of error code 0012, but the two solutions I've seen mentioned here for it are [1] Uninstall and then reinstall, and [2] Copy the installer disc to a folder on your hard drive and reinstall from there.

Regards,

Brendon

Jerry,

CP Monitor is some sort of non-Roxio performance monitor. I believe it isi available on download from the Internet if Revo uninstalled it, and you need it for some reason. It should have no bearing on EMC 9.

I have no personal experience of error code 0012, but the two solutions I've seen mentioned here for it are [1] Uninstall and then reinstall, and [2] Copy the installer disc to a folder on your hard drive and reinstall from there.

Regards,

Brendon

CPmonitor.exe is installed in the Roxio folders and is part of the CinePlayer appllication.

CPmonitor.exe is installed in the Roxio folders and is part of the CinePlayer appllication.

Not In EMC 9.0; EMC 9.1; EMC 10; or EMC 10.1 it isn't.

Roxio didn't start using CP Monitor until Creator 2009, and Jerry is/was using Creator 9.