Sign in to follow this  
KenInWalworth

Burning MS Photostorys to DVDs with MyDVD 8

Question

Using MS Phototstory 3, I created a series of videos from photos and music. When I found out I couldn't burn them to DVD I ordered and received DVD for Phototstory. The product worked great except it would only let you burn one phototstory on a DVD.

I talked with Roxio sales support who confirmed that DVD for Phototstory would allow only one video on a DVD and I was told MyDVD 8 is the product I needed. I ordered and received MyDVD 8 and have spent a week and a half attempting to make it work. From VideoWave home screen under frequent tasks, I select edit a video. I then bring all the videos (9) into the production using "Add Video".

When I preview, most of the time it looks fine but sometimes it has wide vertical yellow & blue lines running through the middle of the panel. The lines remain throughout the entire video. A few times I have benn able to preview without the lines so I seleted the "burn DVD using DVD Express" icon. This brings up MyDVD, but when I preview from this screeen it always has the lines and if I burn the DVD it is not watchable due to the wide vertical lines.

Support has suggested a video card issue, but since I was able to burn this exact same video to a DVD using Sonci DVD for Phototstory and since the lap top I am using is less than 9 months old (high end Toshiba) I don't think that the video card is a likely problem.

Can anyone give me information about what I can try to solve the problem?

I would greatly appreciate ANY help.

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Using MS Phototstory 3, I created a series of videos from photos and music. When I found out I couldn't burn them to DVD I ordered and received DVD for Phototstory. The product worked great except it would only let you burn one phototstory on a DVD.

I talked with Roxio sales support who confirmed that DVD for Phototstory would allow only one video on a DVD and I was told MyDVD 8 is the product I needed. I ordered and received MyDVD 8 and have spent a week and a half attempting to make it work. From VideoWave home screen under frequent tasks, I select edit a video. I then bring all the videos (9) into the production using "Add Video".

When I preview, most of the time it looks fine but sometimes it has wide vertical yellow & blue lines running through the middle of the panel. The lines remain throughout the entire video. A few times I have benn able to preview without the lines so I seleted the "burn DVD using DVD Express" icon. This brings up MyDVD, but when I preview from this screeen it always has the lines and if I burn the DVD it is not watchable due to the wide vertical lines.

Support has suggested a video card issue, but since I was able to burn this exact same video to a DVD using Sonci DVD for Phototstory and since the lap top I am using is less than 9 months old (high end Toshiba) I don't think that the video card is a likely problem.

Can anyone give me information about what I can try to solve the problem?

I would greatly appreciate ANY help.

Thanks.

Why don't you believe it is your video chip? If you have a laptop, you most likely do not have a card. Updates to chips and cards come out at irregular intervals so it does not hurt to check. Even if your computer is "only" nine months old, there may be updates either from the Toshiba site or from your chip set manufacturer's site. MyDVD 8 relies heavily on your chipset to render the video. Try this, in MyDVD, go to tools> options and set the radio button to software. Try again. If it clears up your problem, well---. Also make sure you have the latest version of Microsoft DirectX 9c. Also, why not just post your computer model rather than saying it is a nine months old (that's not when it was manufactured) high end. Some people here are good at finding driver updates.

Ok I have not had an opportunity to verify that the video driver is the latest. I plan to do that next. I have updated to the latest Microsoft DirectX 9c but that did not help.

I did from MyDVD select tools, options. But I could not find a radio button to select "software". Did I missunderstand the comment "Try this, in MyDVD, go to tools> options and set the radio button to software."?

Thanks.

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 8/26/2006, 06:07:26

Machine name: TOSHIBA-USER

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA

System Model: Satellite M45

BIOS: Insyde Software MobilePRO BIOS Version 4.20.09

Processor: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.73GHz

Memory: 504MB RAM

Page File: 327MB used, 902MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

. But I could not find a radio button to select "software". Did I missunderstand the comment "Try this, in MyDVD, go to tools> options and set the radio button to software."?

Thanks.

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA

System Model: Satellite M45

That simply means that the little dot should be next to software and not hardware. There are a lot of different M45's so I can't tell you if there is a new driver for your computer but you should be able to find one at the Toshiba site.

Edited by sknis

The lap-top is a Toshiba Satellite M45-S269. I checked for and loaded the latest display driver but there was no updated video driver on the web site. As for selecting software Vs hardware there is no selection for hardware or software that I can find under tools>options.

Click on TOOLS, then OPTIONS

At the top of that dialog box, you should see --

When you run the graphics test, the radial button should change to the correct setting. DO NOT force it to hardware because i this can cause rendering to lock up the computer if your video chipset does not fully support DirectX.

post-49-1156995170.jpg

Edited by ggrussell

Thanks for the help with this problem I'm having.

When I start MyDVD 8 Prem. it brings up the home page. Along the left side is a series options including "tools". When I select "tools", I get a link in the lower right hand corner of the window that is "tools options". When I select that link I get what appears to me a file tree structure with two options. I'm going from memory here, but I think the two options are Internal and Advanced. I don't get the hardware/software option or the graphics test.

Is there a different "tools>options> selection somewhere that I am not seeing?

Thanks again.

Thanks again. I will try that Tools Option as soon as I get home.

I did call Roxio Sales-Support and now I am being told that I can't burn multiple MS Photostory 3 videos to a DVD using MyDVD 8. I was advised (this time) that I would have to create the video from scratch in Wave Video before I could burn it using MyDVD. If that is the case (since I have Many Photostory 3 created videos) I guess I will have to live with watching the video on the computer, which works well just not as good as watching on a large screen.

Again I really appreciate all the help but I am being told the the Roxio product that I purchased will not do what I want it to do.

If you have video files, such as WMV, you can use more than 1 file in MyDVD. Only when you are using Photostory 3, and the DVD plugin can you only burn 1 story to a DVD.

As previously suggested, make sure your video card drivers are updated, and try setting Software Render in MyDVD before creating your project.