• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Multiple Problems

tymime

Question

Toast is suddenly giving me a lot of trouble.

One .toast will burn with no errors, but wind up almost completely unplayable on my computer or player- it would show no menu, and if I press play, it would show only a split second at a time before freezing.

Another .toast will burn with no errors, but would compress the videos to be nearly unwatchable.

I recently got a new brand of dual-layer DVD-Rs- Verbatim- but that doesn't seem to be the problem. A different brand (not dual-layer) got me the same results. I tried fiddling with the video settings, such as pushing the sliders all the way up, or just picking "Best", but that got me the same results too.

They do have a mix of NTSC and PAL, but I've never had a problem with that before.

Why am I getting different problems with different .toast files anyway? :[

Using OS X Snow Leopard, if that helps any.

5 answers to this question

I'm sorry but this has me stumped. I've never tried creating DVDs from videos with a mix of NTSC and PAL. My assumption is that Toast would re=encode one or the other to the format set in Toast preferences. Your mentioning the high compression has me wondering how much video is in the .toast disc image. Toast provides an option for "Fit-to-DVD" to burn DL-sized disc images to SL discs, but you say you're using DL media so that shouldn't apply. My best guess is choose a slow speed for burning the discs. The speed is set in the Recorder Settings window after the disc is inserted and recognized. If you have a non-Apple disc burner check to see if a firmware update is available. Sorry that I'm bewildered.

I have the write speed at "Best", so I'm not sure what else to pick. It burns CDs perfectly (when the disc is okay).

Further troubles: tried burning one of the mentioned .toast files in Toast 10 instead. Played for half a second on the computer, blank screen on my player.

Is it the discs? My burner?

I have the write speed at "Best", so I'm not sure what else to pick. It burns CDs perfectly (when the disc is okay).

Further troubles: tried burning one of the mentioned .toast files in Toast 10 instead. Played for half a second on the computer, blank screen on my player.

Is it the discs? My burner?

When the disc image is mounted does it play on the Mac using DVD Player (don't have a DVD disc inserted when testing this)?

As a test try burning a disc that only has NTSC source videos. It is possible for the disc burner to fail with DVDs and not CDs because it uses a different laser for that. You could get a laser-cleaning disc to see if that helps. The burn speed probably isn't an issue because the burn does get completed.

What exactly is a "laser-cleaning disc"? Is it something like this?: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00000J1QK

Also, what brand do you recommend?

I've never used a laser-cleaning disc so I don't have a brand recommendation. I believe any will do. The only reason to use one is if dust is on the laser or if a dirty disc was inserted. Dust is pretty unlikely in a slot-loading drive but could occur in a tray-loading drive if the drive was left open for awhile. I only suggest this because it is an inexpensive way to eliminate one possible reason for continued failed burns.

Another reason for continued failed burns is the drive is simply failing. The so-called Superdrives in Macs aren't super at all. They are really cheap. I have an external Lacie-brand optical drive connected to my Mac and its performance far outclasses the less-than-superdrive. Today, external DVD drives are very low cost yet still are much better than the built-in drive. One reason I like Lacie drives is they provide firmware updates that can be "flashed" using a Mac.