Wont Read The Blank Dvd

Ireland51

Question

I can't copy my movie from the tape to the DVD. when it is in the tray, it will say, Please insert a recordable DVD. I have 100 blank Verbatim DVD-R. They are also 4.7GB, 16x speed, and 120mins. What can I do to fix the DVD's to record the tapes. HELP!!!

Edited by Ireland51

24 answers to this question

I can't copy my movie from the tape to the DVD. when it is in the tray, it will say, Please insert a recordable DVD. I have 100 blank Verbatim DVD-R. They are also 4.7GB, 16x speed, and 120mins. What can I do to fix the DVD's to record the tapes. HELP!!!

First capture your VHS video from the tape to your computer. Then burn the video video to the DVD. This is the best way to transfer video from your VHS tape to a DVD.

BTW, a standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at best (HQ) quality, any longer and the video is compressed and you lose quality. Video froma VHS is generally low quality and you do not really want to compress it any more.

The quoted 120 minutes is just a marketing gimmick and measn "very low quality video"

• Like 1

Digital Guru,

I tried the above suggestion and I also did a repair using the Roxio software, still telling me to "Please insert a recordable DVD". I tried Maxwell DVD-R, TDK DVD+R DL and RiData DVD-R disc's but still the same message. I have a new system from Dell a few days ago, it plays other disc's to rule that out but not in the Roxio program. I have the Alienware X51 R2, Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i7, 3.40 GHz, 64 bit. It has the DVDRWBD burner in it as well. Do you have any other suggestions, anyone!!

Jim beat me to it. Sorry for the redundancy.

I have a Alienware (new) but not with blu ray burner. It would not see the drive.

I know that yours plays discs but will not record. There is a lot of difference between playing a disc and writing to one.

Have you talked to Alienware support about this? They will (should) walk you through the problem. They can (will) ask if they can take control of your computer to fix the problem. I think it is a filter issue also. That is what mine was.

• Like 1

Hey Ireland51,

Did you find a resolution to your problem?

I am having the same issue. Roxio VHS to DVD 3 Plus software recognizes the device, but always says "Please insert a recordable DVD." When I do insert a disc, the cursor changes to a little disc as the device whirrrrs, but then stops and nothing. I have tried Maxell DVD+RW and Maxell DVD-R discs.

I can burn DVDs with other software applications I have on my Dell PC. The other software programs recognize the device and the disc. Roxio VHS to DVD 3 Plus does not. I paid $80 for this program. I could have bought the cable for $20 and found other means to burn DVDs.

I did read the thread, thanks. I was asking Ireland51 if he had a resolution. Sometimes people get email notifications if a post is made to their topic. :)

How do I know if deleting my burner from the Device Manager is the right thing to do? That move comes with risks, doesn't it? My DVD device (TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SH-216DB D100) is recognized by every other software application including Roxio VHS to DVD 3 Plus on my Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 8 Home 64 bit w/ Intel Core CPU 3.4GHz.

I did read the thread, thanks. I was asking Ireland51 if he had a resolution. Sometimes people get email notifications if a post is made to their topic. :)

How do I know if deleting my burner from the Device Manager is the right thing to do? That move comes with risks, doesn't it? My DVD device (TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SH-216DB D100) is recognized by every other software application including Roxio VHS to DVD 3 Plus on my Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 8 Home 64 bit w/ Intel Core CPU 3.4GHz.

There is no risk in doing that. The biggest risk, that you have,is putting Windows 8 on your computer. ;)

I have the exact same problem. I've tried different media, deleted my burner, checked the upper and lower limits (per tech support) and no help.

My burner and media work just fine using other applications. The problem seems to be the Easy vhs to dvd program.

I have been playing email tag with tech support which is going nowhere. Very disappointing!

Anyone out there have any other suggestions to try?

I have the exact same problem. I've tried different media, deleted my burner, checked the upper and lower limits (per tech support) and no help.

My burner and media work just fine using other applications. The problem seems to be the Easy vhs to dvd program.

I have been playing email tag with tech support which is going nowhere. Very disappointing!

Anyone out there have any other suggestions to try?

Do your have the same system as the original poster? Some info would other then just another "ME TOO"

I am having the same issue as the original poster. I get the same message that she did about putting in a writable disc. I have new discs. I am worried about deleting a device as you suggested. Any help is appreciated, but please know that I am not tech-minded at all and will need it put into layman's terms (tell me like you would a 5 year old). :)

I am having the same issue as the original poster. I get the same message that she did about putting in a writable disc. I have new discs. I am worried about deleting a device as you suggested. Any help is appreciated, but please know that I am not tech-minded at all and will need it put into layman's terms (tell me like you would a 5 year old). :)

Go get your daddy to help ! (you asked for it). If you follow the instructions given here carefully, then you should not have a problem. A tech knowledgeable friend would be a substitute.

I have the same problem. On two computers. One WIN 8.1 and the other Win 7. Will not export to DVD. The Gurus here are all blaming us and being smart &%$.

Answer some of the questions that were asked in the thread that you started.

Edited by myguggi

Answer some of the questions that were asked in the thread that you started.

Walt, jowenby is not the OP in this thread (if that was what you were referring to).. Actually he (or she) is about the forth person who thread-jacked the original post. He has another thread going where he complains but does NOT PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION. He could even be using a MAC !

He thinks we are all buttheads so I'm not sure that without any information from him and his attitude, we can do any good. Too bad. He paid for the program and now he isn't really interested in trying to fix his problem. He sounds young and immature (maybe a young gamer)..

I don't think he (or she) knows that this is a users group and not tech support. He is certainly welcome to pay for the privilege of talking to someone in Tech support. Perhaps he will answer some questions there.

Edited by sknis

Walt, jowenby is not the OP in this thread (if that was what you were referring to).. Actually he (or she) is about the forth person who thread-jacked the original post. He has another thread going where he complains but does NOT PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION. He could even be using a MAC !

He thinks we are all buttheads so I'm not sure that without any information from him and his attitude, we can do any good. Too bad. He paid for the program and now he isn't really interested in trying to fix his problem. He sounds young and immature (maybe a young gamer)..

I don't think he (or she) knows that this is a users group and not tech support. He is certainly welcome to pay for the privilege of talking to someone in Tech support. Perhaps he will answer some questions there.

I was referring to the other thread that he started where he was was asked to provide information but has not bothered.