• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

MTolman

MyDVD 9 Hangs on Preview

Question

I've been unable to preview my DVD menus in MyDVD 9. After hitting the "Preview" button, I am shown the DVD menu, and the audio starts to play, but then the application just hangs. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling in the hope that it was the result of some dll or other file left behind by version 8, but that didn't help.

Build 900B88I ENU

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MTolman

18 answers to this question

Interesting, where and when did you purchase this MyDVD 9 Build 900B88I ENU software?

cdanteek

Interesting, where and when did you purchase this MyDVD 9 Build 900B88I ENU software?

cdanteek

My inquiring mind would like to know as well. I can't find it on the Roxio website but have heard rumors it would be released soon.

Today (Aug 28, 2006). I opened up v.8 and there was a link to buy it, so I did. I downloaded the two files and ran the install. Everything seemed ok.

I'm also having problems viewing divx based avi files within Media Manager. I have DivX 6.3 installed and I suspect it is just a driver problem. :)

thanks

M,when you installed did you completely uninstall V8 or just the parts the V9 install said you had to?

Edited by tbrewst

Today (Aug 28, 2006). I opened up v.8 and there was a link to buy it, so I did. I downloaded the two files and ran the install. Everything seemed ok.

I'm also having problems viewing divx based avi files within Media Manager. I have DivX 6.3 installed and I suspect it is just a driver problem. :)

thanks

Isn't divx 6.3 very new? I wonder if that could be a problem as odd as it sounds.

M,when you installed did you completely uninstall V8 or just the parts the V9 install said you had to?

The first time I did the install, I just followed the directions and had it uninstall the parts it said it needed to uninstall. After it started hanging on me, I noticed that v.8 still showed up in my "Add/Remove Programs" list, so I uninstalled v.8 AND v.9, I then manually removed any remaining files and several registry entries. Rebooted and installed v.9 again.

After that install, I noticed DivX based .avi files were not showing up, so I did a "repair". So far that seems to have fixed my issues. I am able to open previews without it hanging, and DivX based .avi files are now available to be added in MyDVD, and I hope it is just a matter of time before they show up in Media Manager.

I should have uninstalled v.8 before trying to install v.9, but I had high hopes it would work out. :)

M.

Ooops, spoke too soon! MyDVD just hung on me again, this time when I clicked on a movie I recently added and it started playing it in the preview area. The audio continued to play, but the application was hung.

I just noticed that the only time this has happened the movie clips in question were all WMV files. I don't know if that's important or not, but it seemed like it needed to be said.

I'm looking through the help files for the answer to my next question, so please don't tell me to RTFM, thanks. When I click on a movie in the Movies list it automatically starts playing in the preview window. I would rather it not. I can't seem to find where I can change this default action. Any clues?

thanks

Ooops, spoke too soon! MyDVD just hung on me again, this time when I clicked on a movie I recently added and it started playing it in the preview area. The audio continued to play, but the application was hung.

I just noticed that the only time this has happened the movie clips in question were all WMV files. I don't know if that's important or not, but it seemed like it needed to be said.

I'm looking through the help files for the answer to my next question, so please don't tell me to RTFM, thanks. When I click on a movie in the Movies list it automatically starts playing in the preview window. I would rather it not. I can't seem to find where I can change this default action. Any clues?

thanks

Instead of RTFM, I would be more inclined to suggest waiting for someone else to install the software. You seem to be the only person in the world to have the software. :)

When I click on a movie in the Movies list it automatically starts playing in the preview window.
Maybe you are accidently hitting the little PLAY button?

As for the hangs, EMC9 is much like EMC8 - REQUIRES updated video drivers and the latest DirectX 9 (Aug2006).

post-49-1156825116.jpg

Edited by ggrussell

My video drivers and DirectX are up to date, thanks.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Open MyDVD and add a movie or two to your project. In the lower left corner of the screen is the Project View panel, and it has two tabs - Menus and Movies. If you don't see it, select View and Task Pane from the menu.

If you click on the Movies tab you'll see a list of the movies you just added. Say you want to edit the Chapters or trim one of the movies, so you click on the name of the movie. The Preview area now changes from what ever you had there to the movie you just clicked on, as expected. The problem is that the movie starts playing and you have to click the Animate Preview button to stop the playback. This happens every time a movie shows up in the Preview area.

This means you have to keep clicking that button over and over as you work. I know one can edit the chapters by right clicking on the linked button in the menu, but that isn't the point. All other animated previews require a button push, so why not this one, and why doesn't it remember that I stopped the preview the last time I viewed the movie?

M.

Maybe you are accidently hitting the little PLAY button?

As for the hangs, EMC9 is much like EMC8 - REQUIRES updated video drivers and the latest DirectX 9 (Aug2006).

post-49-1156825116.jpg

The snapshot is from EMC9?

Edited by malatekid

If you click on the Movies tab you'll see a list of the movies you just added. Say you want to edit the Chapters or trim one of the movies, so you click on the name of the movie. The Preview area now changes from what ever you had there to the movie you just clicked on, as expected. The problem is that the movie starts playing and you have to click the Animate Preview button to stop the playback.
Ah... you are correct. The Preview automatically plays. I can see where that could be irritating. I've never noticed that because I don't use that Tab. I find it rather redundant and adds no additional functionality.

If you read C:\Program Files\Roxio\ReadMe.htm you'll find links on the bottom of the page for Application-specific known issues. I clicked on the MyDVD link and found mention of a problem with some video drivers and Window's Media files, and links to two files that can be downloaded from Microsoft that may help.

I applied the fixes and MyDVD 9 hasn't locked up yet. It's only been a few hours, but I think I'm in the clear.

I should have read over the ReadMe.htm better in the first place.

I have to say that EMC 9 is everything I wished EMC 8 had been. DVD Menus are easier to create and more flexable. Everything seems to load a little quicker, too. I don't know why it doesn't offer more drag and drop support for things like adding video to MyDVD, but that's not a big deal. The added conversion formats are great. Media Manager is much quicker drawing the thumbnails. Clearly a lot of work went into improving the usability of the product. I've been having a lot of fun playing with it.

I'm very glad I upgraded!

Mark

I don't know why it doesn't offer more drag and drop support for things like adding video to MyDVD,
You should be able to drag n drop from Windows Explorer or from Media Manager. You can't drag n drop from the 'Add Movie' dialog box.

I'm sorry to say I cannot successfully preview either. I get farther than I did with MyDVD8, but every time I try to 1) create DVD 2) Add Movie (a 5 minute clip) 3) preview, one or more of the following happens:

1) crashes immediately (All crashes in this context are with the report-to-MS popup on Videowave fault bucket)

2) menu, which I now default to the "Droplet" theme, comes up but flickers badly while audio plays

3) menu comes up but shows no theme, only text on black background. closing the preview crashes.

3) click the movie and sometimes it plays, more often it crashes

4) when the movie does play, trying to go back to the menu crashes, or plays audio and hangs,

or plays audio and crashes. The faulting module varies but is either ntdll or wmvdmod.

The move clip is an mpeg2 imported from a dvd.

Twice I got an actual application popup from Videowave, it said:

Runtime error

R6025

pure virtual function call

Once in about 15 attempts I can preview, go back to the menu then close the preview, though even then the menu is flickering when I start, and all black after watching the movie clip. Not very stable!

I deleted every trace of Sonic and Roxio before I installed EMC9. Video drivers and DirectX are up to date.

Edited by cab