• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Videowave Becomes Pretty Much Useless After A Few Minutes Of Editing

Indienoise

Question

So let me start off with my specs...

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8ghz

12GB RAM

Radeon HD 7970

Windows 7

I have a 128gb SSD, which the videowave app runs on, but all my video files are saved on my 1.5TB HDD

...and I do a weekly defrag, so last defrag was Wednesday. This has been going on a good while, but I haven't done much editing aside from quick 5-minute "haircuts" for the past few weeks. I was reminded today that it was a problem.

Just a basic video edit, like giving a clip a quick haircut then render, I have no issues.

But If I'm doing a video with multiple transitions, narration, and ESPECIALLY if I start placing text over the video, videowave comes to a screeching halt. Doing anything at all takes ages, and I've noticed after this happens, any video I try to split will have the red O with a line through it rather than a thumbnail from the video, and most of my editing options by right-clicking the clip are grayed out. Anything else I run on my computer does just fine. I can even clear proxy, restart the computer, or whatever, and starting a new project works ok, but once I've started experiencing issues with a project, anytime I open that particular project to try editing again, that project is just slow slow slow. Any ideas?

Edited by Indienoise

10 answers to this question

So let me start off with my specs...

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8ghz

12GB RAM

Radeon HD 7970

Windows 7

I have a 128gb SSD, which the videowave app runs on, but all my video files are saved on my 1.5TB HDD

...and I do a weekly defrag, so last defrag was Wednesday. This has been going on a good while, but I haven't done much editing aside from quick 5-minute "haircuts" for the past few weeks. I was reminded today that it was a problem.

Just a basic video edit, like giving a clip a quick haircut then render, I have no issues.

But If I'm doing a video with multiple transitions, narration, and ESPECIALLY if I start placing text over the video, videowave comes to a screeching halt. Doing anything at all takes ages, and I've noticed after this happens, any video I try to split will have the red O with a line through it rather than a thumbnail from the video, and most of my editing options by right-clicking the clip are grayed out. Anything else I run on my computer does just fine. I can even clear proxy, restart the computer, or whatever, and starting a new project works ok, but once I've started experiencing issues with a project, anytime I open that particular project to try editing again, that project is just slow slow slow. Any ideas?

How much free space on that SSD? Just because you store your video files on the external drive doesn't mean that the SSD does not get used for temporay and intermediate files. From your description it looks like you seem to be running out of space on your hard drive.

There is not much information in your post about your project. How long in time, what source format? What does "haircut" mean?

BTW, defragmenting a SSD is a "no no" and totally useless and in fact shortens the live of a SSD.

I'm with Walt, you need to clear up the questions he posed and leave your slang at the door :lol:

It does sound as though you are clogging up that small drive with edits ~ depends on your free space and your Project size.

In the VideoWave Editor, you should note that by using Tools - Options, you can push some things to another drive.

ha, sorry, by "haircuts" I meant just trimming bits off the video I don't want. Just really basic edit-and-upload jobs that take less than 60 seconds.

It's my HDD I mentioned that I defrag, not my SSD - and I've got plenty of space left on the SSD by the way.

The projects I mention are just raw video taken from my roxio, with a couple of .png's thrown in and some commentary. That's it. Length is still less than 10 minutes. (tutorial videos) The raw video is taken from 5 or 6 different clips I've recorded, so there are a few objects in the project.

Edited by Indienoise

ha, sorry, by "haircuts" I meant just trimming bits off the video I don't want. Just really basic edit-and-upload jobs that take less than 60 seconds.

It's my HDD I mentioned that I defrag, not my SSD - and I've got plenty of space left on the SSD by the way.

The projects I mention are just raw video taken from my roxio, with a couple of .png's thrown in and some commentary. That's it. Length is still less than 10 minutes. (tutorial videos) The raw video is taken from 5 or 6 different clips I've recorded, so there are a few objects in the project.

What is "raw video taken from my roxio"? You keep throwing around terms and nobody knows what you are referring to. That wastes a lot of time with posts back and forth. I had to go back and look at the forum heading to see what you might be talking about. I would think you mean you are using "captured video of your game playing"

Are all the video you are using the same format? "the red O with a line through it rather" usually indicates that the video is not a acceptable format or is no longer available in its original location

Good getting a better picture of all of this now :D

Of course 'plenty of space' is not a unit of measure that I am familar with ^_^ Can you convert that into GB?

Your PC seems pretty darn good in the raw numbers... What is your Windows Performance Index (Win-Pause)

As a general 'fix all' you may want to try a proper Repair:

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Unplug your RGC Device and put it aside until you are completely finished.

Now insert your Roxio Disc.

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

no luck on the repair. I'm currently uninstalling it entirely and going to try reinstalling to my HDD, just to see if it helps any.

to answer your questions, I've got about 50 gigs left on the SSD, and Windows experience index of 7.4. :)

What was odd is just before deciding to do the complete uninstall/reinstall, it didn't even take adding text or narration. I had multiple clips in this project I'm working on When I tried to split the third clip, video wave would just completely freeze up. I'll report back on how it performs after the reinstall.

...No difference, but always the freezing when I try to edit a particular clip. Perhaps it is somehow corrupted...I will try making a similar video, but without the clip that seems to be causing me trouble.

Edited by Indienoise

I did forget one important speed factor...

In the Editor, Tools - Options, set Render to SOFTWARE.

The default is Hardware and if you run the "test" it too always sets to Hardware :wacko:

See what that does for you ;)

It seems that corrupted files were the problem. Things do still slow down a bit with multiple objects in the production, but I guess that's to be expected.

Also, I found the rendering suggestion a bit odd given my specs, but I gave it a shot anyway, even though rendering was never a problem for me - and it definitely renders slower using software rather than hardware. :D Good to at least confirm I'm doing the right thing as far as that's concerned.

It seems that corrupted files were the problem. Things do still slow down a bit with multiple objects in the production, but I guess that's to be expected.

Also, I found the rendering suggestion a bit odd given my specs, but I gave it a shot anyway, even though rendering was never a problem for me - and it definitely renders slower using software rather than hardware. :D Good to at least confirm I'm doing the right thing as far as that's concerned.

Great, glad you got it fixed up and running!!!

The Software vs Hardware can go both ways, regardless of how good your think your PC is ;)

Some respond better in software whereas others show a preference for hardware. Since it is so easy to check, never bothered to try to determine what makes the difference :lol: