• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

MTolman

HowTo Change The Default MyDVD Menu Style

Question

When MyDVD first opens, it loads a default menu style. In my case it loaded the Seasons style/theme, which is a very nice one, but not the one I want as my default. Oddly, there is a Default style/theme but it isn't loaded.

After looking every where for a place where I could change the default theme from within MyDVD, I decided to check out the registry values. Warning, do not make changes to your registry unless you're 100% sure you can deal with any problems you may create.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Roxio\MyDVD\9.0\Paths\ is the place to look. Make sure to put the entire path to your new default style.

I don't know why they don't want us to be able to select our own default. A check box on the Select Menu Style dialog box asking if we want the new theme to be the default would be nice.

M.

8 answers to this question

When MyDVD first opens, it loads a default menu style. In my case it loaded the Seasons style/theme, which is a very nice one, but not the one I want as my default. Oddly, there is a Default style/theme but it isn't loaded.

After looking every where for a place where I could change the default theme from within MyDVD, I decided to check out the registry values. Warning, do not make changes to your registry unless you're 100% sure you can deal with any problems you may create.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Roxio\MyDVD\9.0\Paths\ is the place to look. Make sure to put the entire path to your new default style.

I don't know why they don't want us to be able to select our own default. A check box on the Select Menu Style dialog box asking if we want the new theme to be the default would be nice.

M.

Good idea. Hopefully someone will see this and put it on the 'wish' list.

Thanks for the useful info.

That is a good suggestion "M". And Thanks for chasing down in the registry where the default theme can be changed. Sometimes it takes a lot of time to chase down where all the stuff is located. I'm like you are as far as the default theme goes (Seasons). I don't like it either. Thanks for the information.

Frank....

Guest ivanatrox

It is not necessary to go into your registry to change your default menu style. It can be accomplished by following the steps below:

Open MyDVD 9

click on Change Menu Style

right click on the menu style you want then choose Set as Default Menu Style

click on OK

note: this only applies to the user account that's logged in. If there are multiple users, each user can choose his own default style

Edited by ivanatrox

Now that is a cool feature!!!

Yes it is. The ability also existed in EMC 8 BTW, at least the "Deluxe" version had it.

I don't see the point of having a 'default' style unless it was completely blank. I don't think I would ever use the same style over and over and over.

It is not necessary to go into your registry to change your default menu style. It can be accomplished by following the steps below:

Open MyDVD 9

click on OK

note: this only applies to the user account that's logged in. If there are multiple users, each user can choose his own default style

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Thanks

Open MyDVD 9

click on OK

Please tell me how we're just supposed to know that on our own? I've searched the Help files, and there's no mention of how to set the default style anywhere. I right click on just about everything these days just to see if anything will happen and I never thought to right click on the style thumbnails.

This option needs to be more obvious to the average New User. At the bottom of the dialog box there's the option to Apply style to... That would be a good place to add a check box or something since that is where most people will look for additional options. They could also try adding a paragraph to the help files!

ggrussell, I set my default to a static background with mostly text only buttons. It loads very quickly and is just enough for most of my needs. When I want a more professional menu I just switch.

If I had a product that was able to do animated backgrounds and thumbnails, and all the other cool things MyDVD 9 can do, I would make the default menu with as many bells as I could - just to show off. Of course, I would also make sure to let the user know how easily he/she can choose a new default!

Since I'm on a roll, I think MyDVD and MyDVD Express should have different default themes. If I'm opening up Express, odds are a simple, clean, functional menu would be the best place to start, but I may want a different default when I start a project with the full version of MyDVD.