• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

FP5849

What Should Be Included With Easy Vhs To Dvd For Mac?

Question

I am confused about what I should have received with my purchase of the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac.

Does anyone have information to clarify any of the following issues?

What I received in the package does appear to match what is described in the reviews or on the ROXIO web page.

I received:

• 1 capture device
  • 1 adapter for Video/Audio connections
  • 1 USB Extension Cable
  • 1 CD with only two items: the Roxio Video Capture.app and its Documentation.

The web page states that Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac Contents:

• Installation CD, including
    • Easy VHS to DVD Capture software
    • Roxio® Toast® 9 Basic disc burning software

[*]Roxio Video Capture USB hardware

• USB extension cable
    • Video Inputs: Composite video (RCA) and S-Video (mini-DIN)
    • Audio Inputs: Stereo audio (RCA)

First, should Toast Basic have been included?

The package does NOT list Toast Basic as part of the contents.

But the ROXIO web page does, as noted above.

Second, the version of the Roxio Video Capture app I received is v2.0.1, dated 04 Oct 2012.

The "single" screen of this app looks nothing like the "multiple" screen shots advertised on the ROXIO web page for this product.

The reviews appear to only discuss versions such as v1.0.3 for the Mac.

In addition, the ROXIO web page only provides an update to v1.0.5 for download.

If v2.0.1 is the current version, why isn't there an update to v2.0.1?

Third, the documentation included appears to match the app's single screen for the video capture. But then the documentation describes using a "Preview" and "Trim" function, plus a "Save and Send" function. None of these functions are available on any buttons or menus within the Roxio Video Capture.app (v2.0.1) as far as I can find.

I am expecting a replacement package from Amazon.com because of these issues.

But if the replacement is the same as the first package, how do I purchase the correct package?

Or is there a better choice?

One alternative is to purchase Toast 11 Titanium or Pro.

But it is not clear to me if these packages contain the Capture Device and cables.

Thanks

Frank

6 answers to this question

That is confusing. A couple years ago Roxio replaced the Easy VHS to DVD Capture application with the Roxio Video Capture application. The former recorded in MPEG-2 format and the latter records in either Apple Intermediate Codec when choosing Best quality or h.264 MPEG-4 when choosing Medium quality. I strongly recommend choosing the Medium quality instead of Best quality because it looks just as good, has much smaller file sizes and is more compatible for various uses. In addition, many users experience audio sync problems when choosing Best quality.

When Roxio made that software change they also stopped including Toast 9 Basic. I'm sure they had many reasons for this but a couple I can think of are that Roxio no longer supported Toast 9 to keep up with newer versions of OSX and that the Basic version required the videos to be in MPEG 2 format in order to burn to video DVD.

The buttons you haven't seen should appear in a window after you stop the recording.

The package contents you describe look right to me for the currently shipping product.

Tsantee, thanks for the reply.

So Toast is no longer included.

The Roxio web page still states that Toast is included.

Then how am I to burn a DVD?

My Mac did not come with iDVD, so I need some way to burn the DVDs.

Please explain what you meant by the "...buttons should appear in a window..."

Are there other products out there for the Mac which include the hardware and software to capture VHS?

Do you know if Toast 9 will work correctly on 10.8.3? (If I can find it)

I have not found any other software that will work with this capture hardware (USB 2861).

Frank

Although it's been a couple years, Roxio never has announced that it changed what's included with the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac (except on the packaging, I suppose). I imagine this failure has irritated many people such as yourself. I don't know what happens if you demand they provide Toast 9 Basic since they declare it is included. I think the Toast 9 Basic update that can be downloaded from Roxio's software updates page requires a registration code which used to be included with the product. The "update" is the complete application and not just an updater. If they provided you the Toast 9 Basic registration code you could download everything you need from the software updates page.

The Easy VHS to DVD capture application does not require any registration code so you can use it instead of the Roxio Video Capture application if you want. Since it captures the video in MPEG 2 format there doesn't need to be any re-encoding when making a video DVD. It doesn't, however, work with iMovie unless it gets converted to, say, h.264 mpeg-4. MPEG-2 is not a very computer-friendly format.

There are some low-priced applications for creating video DVDs. Search macupdate.com to see what you find. I think I have three other than Toast and iDVD.

ElGato and BlackMagic are two companies that sell USB video capture devices for Macs. Both cost more, both encode as h.264 MPEG-4 and neither includes software for making video DVDs.

When you complete the recording using Roxio Video Capture the application should exit the capture window and present a player/editor window.

Edited by tsantee

Tsantee, you have provided allot of information.

But I am not understanding some points.

You mention using Easy VHS to DVD instead of the Roxio Video Capture.

I don't understand the difference or which one I have.

It also seems to me that you may be saying the one of this two apps can burn DVD without going thru another app.

If this is correct, which one can do this?

If these other companies are providing just hardware, where would someone find compatible software?

I am copying a VHS tape right now. When it finishes, I will look for the functions you mentioned.

It is confusing that a product that is stated to be for converting VHS to DVD, does not come with the software needed to complete the process of physically making the DVDs.

Also, does the captured video need to be run thru another process/function like iMovie before it can be put on a DVD disk?

Thank for your help.

Tsantee, you have provided allot of information.

But I am not understanding some points.

You mention using Easy VHS to DVD instead of the Roxio Video Capture.

I don't understand the difference or which one I have.

You have Roxio Video Capture. If you want you can also have Easy VHS to DVD Capture available here. If you plan to edit in iMovie then use Roxio Video Capture because iMovie can import its video. But do use Medium Quality and not High quality for best results. If all you wanted to do is quickly make a video DVD directly from the captured video, then the Easy VHS to DVD Capture application is the better choice with DVD authoring applications that accept MPEG 2 video such as Toast.

It also seems to me that you may be saying the one of this two apps can burn DVD without going thru another app.

If this is correct, which one can do this?

A video DVD is always in MPEG 2 format. So if the video is already in MPEG 2 format it usually can be made into a video DVD without any re-encoding. There are exceptions, though. You still need a DVD authoring application such as Toast. The downside to MPEG 2 is most editing applications such as iMovie can't read it. iMovie really likes the video to be MPEG 4.

If these other companies are providing just hardware, where would someone find compatible software?

They include software for capturing the video. What you do with it after it is captured is not their concern. Today many people don't make DVDs but simply play the video on their computers and stream them to TVs using Apple TV or similar player. In that case h.264 MPEG 4 is the way to go.

I am copying a VHS tape right now. When it finishes, I will look for the functions you mentioned.

It is confusing that a product that is stated to be for converting VHS to DVD, does not come with the software needed to complete the process of physically making the DVDs.

Also, does the captured video need to be run thru another process/function like iMovie before it can be put on a DVD disk?

Thank for your help.

Roxio should have renamed it "Roxio Video Capture for Mac" but they didn't. The earlier software made it easy to create DVDs as long as you didn't want to use iMovie or do any editing, so the name was sensible back then. When you've finished the capturing the video you can use one of a Mac-compatible DVD authoring applications (such as Toast) to encode the video to MPEG 2 and burn your video DVD disc.

Tsantee

Thank you for your time and information.

I finally understand what is going on and how to proceed.

Frank