• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
MTolman

DivX Codec Problems

Question

I keep going back and forth on this and nothing seems to help.

I have DivX software installed on my system, and use the codec, player and tools often. After finally getting EMC 9 working (uninstall 8, clean up the files and registry, etc. etc.), I noticed problems with the DivX codec. The Direct Show filter seemed to work, but the encoding was much slower than expected and other things lead me to believe there was a problem.

The current codec available from DivX.com is 6.2.5.34. I noticed the DivX.dll installed by Roxio was version 6.1.2.2.

After installing EMC 8, I also had problems with DivX. Uninstalling DivX and reinstalling it (with a couple reboots to make sure) fixed the problems, so I tried that after installing EMC 9, but that just created other issues. DivX seems to be working now, but EMC 9 can't read DivX or Xvid based AVI files. They show up in Media Manager with a question mark for a thumbnail. Hitting "refresh" doesn't help.

I don't want to have to choose between the DivX codec and EMC 9. I'm sure this can be easily fixed. I'm not sure why EMC 9 wasn't written to detect and work with an existing DivX codec (if it is newer than the one that comes with EMC 9 of course). I thought Roxio/Sonic were supporters of DivX???

So far we've learned that EMC 9 will only install and work correctly on a system that's never been used before, and hasn't had any other software installed. I usually format my hard drive once a year and start over fresh. With all the updates, drivers, codecs, and applications that get installed, upgraded and uninstalled over time, I just feel better knowing I'm starting from a clean page. The bad news is that I reformatted my drive in June, and I'm not going through that again any time soon.

Roxio needs to work on their install system to make it more robust, and in the mean time I'm going to try and figure out a way to get EMC 9 and DivX to play nicely. Perhaps the merit values just need to be changed on some filter? As it stands now, DivX is working fine in all Windows applications, so now all we have to do is get EMC 9 to work again without reinstalling it (which breaks DivX).

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks

M.

3 answers to this question

So far we've learned that EMC 9 will only install and work correctly on a system that's never been used before, and hasn't had any other software installed.
'We' or did you mean 'you'? Simply has not been my experience. EMC9 has been installed and uninstalled several times on my machine and I have at least 100 applications installed including other video editors with their own codecs. The only problem I had was with MPEG activation, but that was resolved once I found the culprit (IE cookies).

I totally agree that the install needs work. ALL applications within the 'suite' should be removal. And I do mean ALL.

I don't know if EMC9 checks for file versions, but try copying the 6.2 DivX DLL into the Roxio directory. First rename the 6122.dll to 6122.old just in case. Then copy the newer file into the Roxio directory. I would guess that EMC9 looks for the DLL in that specific folder.

Edited by ggrussell

I don't know if EMC9 checks for file versions, but try copying the 6.2 DivX DLL into the Roxio directory. First rename the 6122.dll to 6122.old just in case. Then copy the newer file into the Roxio directory. I would guess that EMC9 looks for the DLL in that specific folder.

I tried that, and several other variations. I'm not sure, but it looks like it is the DivXDec.ax or something linked to it that is the problem. During the install, EMC 9 adds its DivX Decoder to DirectShow, and calls it "DivX Video Decoder Release 0001". DivX's DirectShow filter is named "DivX Decoder Filter", so I'm guessing Roxio added the number to the name to keep them apart. The problem is that both DivX and EMC named the filter's file "DivXDec.ax" and they both put the file in the system32 directory - replacing the other's file in the process.

EMC doesn't seem to be able to work with DivX's version of DivXDec.ax at all.

On the other hand, when Media Player or some other program tries to load the DivX Decoder to play a movie clip, it fails to work with the EMC version of the file, but DirectShow just tries the next one in the list. The next one in the list is EMC, which works, but is an older version. Playing a video usually worked perfectly, but encoding doesn't work quite as well, and is a LOT slower.

Since I can't rewrite how EMC loads its codecs, I'm going to try to get around this problem another way. If I get it to work, I'll post a HowTo.

Why they didn't name the file RoxioDivXDec.ax or some other unique name, I'll never know. I wonder how many other files the install overwrote. I'll have to check every DivX related file in the system32 directory just to be sure. I've found a few DirectShow filters with 0001 in their name, so I'll have to check them out as well. I hope it is just this one file.

M.

Unfortunately, this is fairly common on Windows platform that goes WAY back especially with DLLs. Having reuseable code is great 'in theory', but not in practice. So many companies use the Microsoft Foundation Class DLLs and so many different versions can also cause problems.