Mydvd Cannot Render Chapter Menus

MH99

Question

Dxdiag profile attached to post

Roxio Creator pro version: Version 1.3.166 SP1; 5.0.0.0; Build: 131B66A, R04; 600B60A, R04

Mydvd version: Roxio Creator 2011 Pro (Build 131B66A ENU)

Hello,

When I tried to use MyDVD to create a DVD using video I captured from my camera (the same way I have done for the past two years with no issues) the process would freeze at 96 or 97% (when it gets to the "Encode Menus" portion of the process). VideoWave13.exe is taking about 13% of the CPU time when it freezes. My project is pretty boring - two avi files that I've added as a single movie, I've edited the movie just to trim the start point. I've added chapters and the automatically generated chapter menus that MyDVD creates for you (again, same way I've done for years). After trying various changes to get this to work (see below) I tried just clicking on the "Chapter Menu" section in the Project View menu tab - that alone causes MyDVD to freeze up (VideoWave13.exe at 13% CPU) - so I don't even need to burn a dvd for it to fail - it can't reneder the chapter menus at all.

The last time I tried to make a DVD was February, and it worked without an issue. I'm guessing that sometime between then and now a Microsoft update (I think the video driver may have updated since Feb) or some program I installed (not a lot) is causing a conflict with Roxio, but that's just a guess. Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this before (and more importantly a fix or workaround)?

Things I have tried:

Installing the latest drivers for my video card

Chose different menu styles to see if certain ones were corrupt

Using SW rendering instead of HW rendering

Letting the process sit overnight to make sure it's just not taking rediculously long

Reinstalling creator 2011

Installing latest directx 9.0 version (I already had version 11 installed)

Disabled my antivirus real time protection and closed any non-cricital processes runing in the system tray

Thanks in advance for any help!

DxDiag.txt

12 answers to this question

Dxdiag profile attached to post

Roxio Creator pro version: Version 1.3.166 SP1; 5.0.0.0; Build: 131B66A, R04; 600B60A, R04

Mydvd version: Roxio Creator 2011 Pro (Build 131B66A ENU)

Hello,

When I tried to use MyDVD to create a DVD using video I captured from my camera (the same way I have done for the past two years with no issues) the process would freeze at 96 or 97% (when it gets to the "Encode Menus" portion of the process). VideoWave13.exe is taking about 13% of the CPU time when it freezes. My project is pretty boring - two avi files that I've added as a single movie, I've edited the movie just to trim the start point. I've added chapters and the automatically generated chapter menus that MyDVD creates for you (again, same way I've done for years). After trying various changes to get this to work (see below) I tried just clicking on the "Chapter Menu" section in the Project View menu tab - that alone causes MyDVD to freeze up (VideoWave13.exe at 13% CPU) - so I don't even need to burn a dvd for it to fail - it can't reneder the chapter menus at all.

The last time I tried to make a DVD was February, and it worked without an issue. I'm guessing that sometime between then and now a Microsoft update (I think the video driver may have updated since Feb) or some program I installed (not a lot) is causing a conflict with Roxio, but that's just a guess. Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this before (and more importantly a fix or workaround)?

Things I have tried:

Installing the latest drivers for my video card

Chose different menu styles to see if certain ones were corrupt

Using SW rendering instead of HW rendering

Letting the process sit overnight to make sure it's just not taking rediculously long

Reinstalling creator 2011

Installing latest directx 9.0 version (I already had version 11 installed)

Disabled my antivirus real time protection and closed any non-cricital processes runing in the system tray

Thanks in advance for any help!

First of all, only burn to a folder set or an image file until tou get the problem sorted out.

From your description, it seems you have only one movie in your project which you then break up into chapters.

What happens if you burn without a menu? Does it also freeze?

Hi Walt. Thanks for your reply.

You are correct. Just 1 movie broken into chapters.

I've tried all three burning options (each separately) - burn to DVD, burn to image, burn to folders. All three fail the same way. I'll try my experiments with just the image file selected so I don't use a bunch of DVDs to test.

Just want to highlight in case you missed it in my original post, I don't even need to burn the project for MyDVD to freeze up. I just have to click on the chapter menu in project view after adding the chapters. I didn't mention in the original post that previewing the project will also freeze MyDVD.

Tried burning the exact same project with no chapters added (and thus no chapter menus) - everything encoded fine (good call :)) - I even tried 2 different menu styles to make sure it wasn't a fluke. When it gets to the "encode menus" portion of the process, I can see the main menu rendered in the preview just before the project finishes successfully. In the cases where the project fails (with the chapter menus), I see a black screen in the preview (none of the menus appear to get rendered) and it hangs there forever.

I also tried adding chapters, but chose not to add the chapter menus - that also rendered fine. When I tried again to add the chapters with the chapter menus, the same failure occured. So the problem seems to be centered around chapter menus.

I'd say maybe my menu files are corrupted (though it's strange that it would only affect the chapter menus and not the main menus), but I already tried an uninstall/reinstall so I can't see how that would be the problem...

I am having the identical problem as MH99. I am trying to burn a single movie with a chapter menu with 4 chapters. If I include a chapter menu the project fails as described above. I will be very interested to learn of any work-around to the problem.

Best regards,

Scott

Edited by Scott(GA)

I am having the identical problem as MH99. I am trying to burn a single movie with a chapter menu with 4 chapters. If I include a chapter menu the project fails as described above. I will be very interested to learn of any work-around to the problem.

Best regards,

Scott

Scott, there is no exact same problem unless you have identical computers and programs on your computer. Do you have Creator 2011? If not start your own thread !. :unsure:

Scott, there is no exact same problem unless you have identical computers and programs on your computer. Do you have Creator 2011? If not start your own thread !. :unsure:

Although I don't know how to interpret "...identical computers and programs on your computer.." I can answer your question "Do you have Creator 2011?" I have Creator 2010, Creator 2011 & Creator 2012.

There is nothing to interpret. The original poster told us all about his computer in his first post (dxdiag.exe). Please read that . As for software, you may or may not have the same antivirus/ utilities/other video editing programs.

If there is a problem you may have similar symptoms but perhaps not the same cause. If we start replying to you in this thread, no one will know who the replies were meant for. Help us help you.

Help us help you.

The intent of my post - since my symptoms are identical - was to let folks know that others are having the same issue as the original poster. Since the "problems solving" side of this thread seemed to have stalled, I thought it might be useful - despite the fact that I'm using a different computer than the original poster - to indicate that fact. Apparently that is not the case. I will not post any more on this thread. You may help me by helping the original poster. Best regards, Scott

Hi Scott!

First, thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one having this problem. Second, thanks for taking the time to post your workaround. I was able to use your workaround to get some of the chapter menus working for my particular project. The menu style I'm using adds 6 chapters per chapter sub-menu. What I've seen in my (brief and most certainly non-exhaustive) testing of your workaround is that I have to delete the 6th chapter (when I have a total of 6 chapters in the project) and add it back the way you described to allow the menu to render properly. What I haven't figured out (tried a few things, but haven't gotten it to work) is how to delete chapters such that a project with multiple chapter submenus (for example I have 13 chapters in my project - which has 3 chapter sub-menus) will still render....

I kind of gave up on this whole issue due to time constraints and just added the chapters to my videos without creating menus for them. Next time I need to create a video, maybe I'll spend the time to fiddle around some more and maybe I can get it to work with the info you've provided.

Adding a link to your workaround since it at least works for some configurations. Maybe this will help someone else with the same problem:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/88685-mydvd-hangs-when-adding-a-chapter-menu-possible-work-around/

Thanks again!

Hi Scott!

First, thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one having this problem. Second, thanks for taking the time to post your workaround. I was able to use your workaround to get some of the chapter menus working for my particular project. The menu style I'm using adds 6 chapters per chapter sub-menu. What I've seen in my (brief and most certainly non-exhaustive) testing of your workaround is that I have to delete the 6th chapter (when I have a total of 6 chapters in the project) and add it back the way you described to allow the menu to render properly. What I haven't figured out (tried a few things, but haven't gotten it to work) is how to delete chapters such that a project with multiple chapter submenus (for example I have 13 chapters in my project - which has 3 chapter sub-menus) will still render....

I kind of gave up on this whole issue due to time constraints and just added the chapters to my videos without creating menus for them. Next time I need to create a video, maybe I'll spend the time to fiddle around some more and maybe I can get it to work with the info you've provided.

Adding a link to your workaround since it at least works for some configurations. Maybe this will help someone else with the same problem:

http://forums.suppor...le-work-around/

Thanks again!

It is gratifying to know it worked for someone else for a single page! Sorry your project is more complex than that. Thanks for posting this. Best regards, Scott Edited by Scott(GA)