• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Hd Plug-In

ali jones

Question

hi, I recently purchased toast 11 and used the DVD-video option to burn a DVD to play here in the UK. It worked OK but I wasn't happy with the resolution. I therefore assumed I needed to use the high definition-dvd video option but had to buy the plug-in. Got it all installed OK but the can't play the DVD that I've created either on my Mac or on the DVD player (reads as 'bad'). Can you help please? Thanks

3 answers to this question

A standard-definition video DVD player cannot play a high-definition video. Unless you have a Blu-ray disc player you cannot play a high-def video disc.

The "Blu-ray" term has a couple meanings. One is referring to the kind of disc media that holds much more content than regular DVDs. The other meaning is how high-definition video is "authored" so it can be played with a Blu-ray player. Toast can author a high-definition video in the Blu-ray format and, if it is fairly short, burn it to a regular or DL DVD disc. It's still a Blu-ray video so it cannot play on a standard video DVD player.

You have some options. Of course you could get a Blu-ray video player. You also could get a device that lets you play HD video from your Mac or a hard drive directly to the TV without needing to burn it to disc. There are several different approaches to the latter such as Apple TV, WDTV and a number of DLNA network storage devices. If your TV (I'm presuming you have a HDTV) has a USB input you can copy the HD video to a Flash drive, plug that into the TV and play it. In the latter case the video cannot be a .mov file but needs to be .mp4 or .m4v).

I'm actually dealing with the same issue. I have two different .mov files that I need to burn to DVD's to be sent off to television stations. I have tried using the native .mov or the converted .m4v files to only experience the same issue. When I bring in the .mov or .m4v I can set my format to DVD-Video or High Definition DVD. If I select DVD-Video and set quality to Best the final product quality is destroyed. If I select High Definition DVD, no matter what quality setting it will not play on anything. Are you saying that the High Definition DVD setting (plug-in) that I purchased for $20.00 is ONLY for Blu-ray?

How would I go about burning the .mov or .m4v to a dvd without the quality changing?

Thanks for you help.

I'm actually dealing with the same issue. I have two different .mov files that I need to burn to DVD's to be sent off to television stations. I have tried using the native .mov or the converted .m4v files to only experience the same issue. When I bring in the .mov or .m4v I can set my format to DVD-Video or High Definition DVD. If I select DVD-Video and set quality to Best the final product quality is destroyed. If I select High Definition DVD, no matter what quality setting it will not play on anything. Are you saying that the High Definition DVD setting (plug-in) that I purchased for $20.00 is ONLY for Blu-ray?

How would I go about burning the .mov or .m4v to a dvd without the quality changing?

Thanks for you help.

Yes, the High-Definition DVD-video setting creates a Blu-ray format video burned to standard DVD discs. It requires a Blu-ray player because it is high definition and regular DVD players only play standard definition.

Standard definition is lower quality than high definition but I wouldn't say the quality is destroyed when making a regular DVD-video. It should look similar to the quality you see playing other DVDs unless the video is more than two hours in length. Do not judge the quality based on playing it on a computer screen. Evaluate the quality when playing it on your TV.

Your options? Burn the video as a data disc so the TV station receives the actual video. They'd probably prefer that.