• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

FP5849

File Sizes Indicated By Toast 9 Basic When Burned On Dvd+R Dl Discs

Question

Toast 9 Basic

Mac OS 10.8.3

Why would Toast 9 Basic display a file size that is larger than the original file size?

I have captured some VHS content using Roxio Video Capture as .MOV files.

I am using Toast 9 Basic to make DVDs.

Because some of the .MOV files are larger than 4.7, I am using DVD+R DL discs.

I have noticed that sometimes Toast 9 Basic indicates the size on the disc will be larger than the original .MOV file. In example, a .MOV file is 6.52 GB in Finder but Toast 9 Basic (set for DVD-DL) indicates that the file is over 7 GB. But this is not always the case. Most times the file sizes shown in Toast 9 Basic are sleightly smaller than the original MOV file size.

I can understand how a file would be compressed to fit on a disc but how would it be larger?

Also:

Does anyone have an explanation of how to use the Green/Yellow/Red indicator?

Should the video quality displayed by a DVD-DL be better than that displayed by a standard DVD?

(Same 6.52 GB .MOV file burned on a DVD+R DL disc and a DVD+R disc)

Thanks

4 answers to this question

A video DVD uses the MPEG 2 format whereas Roxio Video Capture is either Apple Intermediate Codec (Best quality) or MPEG 4 h.264 (Medium or lowest quality). This means the file sizes will be different. By the way, I highly recommend using Medium quality with Roxio Video Capture.

If your video exceeds two hours in length the quality should be better using DL media because the video won't be compressed as much.

tsantee, thank for your reply.

To check my understanding, the Finder file size does not impact the quality of the DVD, just the duration of the movie?

In example, a 6.52 GB .MOV file of 1.5 hours duration will have the same video quality on a DVD+R disc as compared to a DVD+R DL disc.

Do you or anyone else have an explanation of how to use the Green/Yellow/Red indicator that is displayed across the bottom of the Toast 9 Basic's screen. The indicator varies from left to right (Green/Yellow/Red). I have not been able to understand what the level of the indicator signifies. I assume red is bad but bad in what way. The only way I have found to get the indicator to be in the Green range is to to only put very small .MOV files on the discs, which appears to waste a lot disc space.

tsantee, thank for your reply.

To check my understanding, the Finder file size does not impact the quality of the DVD, just the duration of the movie?

In example, a 6.52 GB .MOV file of 1.5 hours duration will have the same video quality on a DVD+R disc as compared to a DVD+R DL disc.

Do you or anyone else have an explanation of how to use the Green/Yellow/Red indicator that is displayed across the bottom of the Toast 9 Basic's screen. The indicator varies from left to right (Green/Yellow/Red). I have not been able to understand what the level of the indicator signifies. I assume red is bad but bad in what way. The only way I have found to get the indicator to be in the Green range is to to only put very small .MOV files on the discs, which appears to waste a lot disc space.

You are correct that it is the length of the movie that matters and not the file size of the original.

The space-remaining indicator is more important when making a data disc because in that case there is no difference between the sizes of the source files and what is burned to the disc. The yellow draws your attention that available space is running low and red means too much has been added to the Toast window. With DVD video discs Toast automatically adjusts the MPEG 2 compression depending on what is needed to fit the disc. The compression is at its minimum when there is about an hour or less of video to be burned to a single-layer disc and the compression increases until Toast fits nearly 3 hours to a single-layer disc (and probably about 4-1/2 hours to a DL disc. So the green-yellow-red scale is not very precise when making video DVDs.

tsantee

Thank you for your time and information.

This information has helped me better understand the use of Toast 9.