• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

klmfin

Unresponsive - Split From Hijacked Thread

1) AVC SmartEncode

HD camcorders provide top-quality video. But that high quality also usually means long encoding times when you transfer the video to discs. You can trim hours off your HD video projects by using AVC SmartEncode (Tools > Roxio AVC SmartEncode). With
Smart
Encoding, MyDVD automatically determines which sections of video need re-encoding (such as titles and transitions), and leaves the remaining footage in its original form, so encoding is reduced. This has the added advantage of preserving original video quality as much as possible.

2) Some other software packages do have free trials. You may want to try one of those. Corel has Video Studio (link)

3) I don't think the video card will help.

4) I don't think an older computer will help unless it is a lot more powerful than the one you are using.

Edit: I just tried to make an AVCHD project with a high definition mpg 2 file. I was able to create the chapters after much trying but when I went to work with the chapters, the program hung !

Edit again: I just tried the same thing with VideoStudio 5 and another video editing program and they both had no problems with chapters.

Just remember that you can get only about 45 minutes of best quality video on an single layer AVCHD disc and that it must be played with a Blu Ray player that will play the AVCHD disc structure. If you really need chapters, you MAY have to return Creator.

Edited by sknis

1) AVC SmartEncode

HD camcorders provide top-quality video. But that high quality also usually means long encoding times when you transfer the video to discs. You can trim hours off your HD video projects by using AVC SmartEncode (Tools > Roxio AVC SmartEncode). With
Smart
Encoding, MyDVD automatically determines which sections of video need re-encoding (such as titles and transitions), and leaves the remaining footage in its original form, so encoding is reduced. This has the added advantage of preserving original video quality as much as possible.

2) Some other software packages do have free trials. You may want to try one of those. Corel has Video Studio (link)

3) I don't think the video card will help.

4) I don't think an older computer will help unless it is a lot more powerful than the one you are using.

Edit: I just tried to make an AVCHD project with a high definition mpg 2 file. I was able to create the chapters after much trying but when I went to work with the chapters, the program hung !

Edit again: I just tried the same thing with VideoStudio 5 and another video editing program and they both had no problems with chapters.

Just remember that you can get only about 45 minutes of best quality video on an single layer AVCHD disc and that it must be played with a Blu Ray player that will play the AVCHD disc structure. If you really need chapters, you MAY have to return Creator.

Steve, I don't think that klmfin is trying to create a AVCHD DVD, at least I have not seen any reference to it unless I missed it.

post-113008-0-16537800-1370654598_thumb.jpg

and that orange bar keeps going all the way accross and then starts over again...and again and again (Incidentally, in the past I usuallly haven't seen this popup on the screen...or it would just flash)

been that way for about 15 minutes now, cant click on anything else...tho I have a pointer and not the "spinning circle of insanity" :blink: I can highlight the red X but click and nothing happens. Looks like I will have to use task manager to close it out.

SO, I now can make 10 minute movies and ones with only 2 chapters...something to be hopeful for...does this give anyone any other ideas?

I saw your response in the Creator 2012 area as to the work-around attempt.

It may be useful to note that I had never seen that "orange bar thing" using my work-around or any other time for that matter ...until today.

I had used my work-around and managed to render 4 chapters on the Chapter Menu page. However, when I tried to burn this AVCHD to an ISO file I got an error message - Project_BuildToDevice() AuthorScript call failed. Error while Writing Format - as the project neared completion. I tried rebooting my computer and attempting another ISO file burn with the same results. Fine - I thought - I'll just go back into the Chapter Menu page and use my work-around to try placing the 4th chapter in a different place to see if that allows a burn to complete. When I did that I got the "orange bar" for the first time.

I'll pick away at this a bit and see if I can defeat it. I've tried a couple of things to fix it on this project and got the "orange bar" each time. I hope this isn't an omen.

Best regards,

Scott

Edited by Scott(GA)

Walt, I'm sorry but Scott has muddied the waters in this thread. He is working with AVCHD so I thought that kimfin was working with this also.

Edited by sknis

myguggi,

You are correct...I have not attempted anything other than your basic DVD...and the miniDV camcorder I am capturing from is not HD

sknis,

thank you for the education on the smart encoding! so, If I understand your wonderful definition, the smart encoding isn't necessary, nor comes into play in my case, as I am not using HD video, nor making an AVCHD, nor am I using transitions etc...

and thank you for the Video Studio info...maybe they will take my return with less hassle if I stay in the Roxio/Corel "family" a 30-day guarantee is a 30-day guarantee. And when I spent some time hashing around my problem at the local Computer store, they had good things to say about Video Studo

myguggi and sknis,

any other ideas come to mind? I would much rather get this program to work as opposed to scrapping it...I see so much potential with what else it has to offer...

Scott(GA),

well, isn't that just wonderful, my plague is contagious! :huh: oh boy!

Edited by klmfin

Walt, I'm sorry but Scott has muddied the waters in this thread. He is working with AVCHD so I thought that kimfin was working with this also.

I am pretty sure I didn't mention AVCHD in this thread until after you mentioned HD in one of your posts.

Best regards,

Scott

Edited by Scott(GA)

Just thought I would update those who are interested in knowing what I ended up doing to resolve this issue...

After some more talk with Roxio/Corel tech support who kept insisting that my Video card was to blame, talking with several computer techs, and having my computer in for a diagnositcs to see if there was anything hidden that I didn't know about...(there wasn't)...I took Sknis' suggestion to try out the Corel Video Studio with the free trial download.

Video Studio works beautifully on my computer and I am actually very pleased with what it has to offer. I miss what seemed to be more variations on the menu creation/ editing that MyDvd had, but overall, on the editing side, Video Studio appears to have more to offer, it's easier to get to (no opening/closing of separate programs to move from editing to dvd creation), and the screen layout is very user friendly, IMO. I have a $15 off purchase from a local computer store that has the Video Studio in stock, so I will be able to the Ultimate version for much less than I spent on the Creator Suite.

I must say, Roxio was VERY easy to work with in getting my refund, and very quick in doing so (the next day I had the $$ back in my account). Tech Support was friendly and I believe really trying to help. Once they got on the "must be your video card" answer, tho, they stuck to it like glue and didn't seem to want to look for other possibilities. Down side is that in wiping Roxio off my computer to comply to the refund, I also lost the Roxio program that originally came with my computer which I liked using for duplicating dvds...gonna have to see what Video Studio's is like...

Thank you to all of you who came to my thread offering your thoughts and help and suggestions... it is thru volunteers like each of you who contributed that helps make forums valuable and necessary for software success. Thank you for being there!!

(Maybe I will see some of you on the Corel side forums ) :P

Well thanks for posting the outcome!

I wish it could have been resolved in a Roxio Way but at least you will be able to complete your projects with the Corel Video Studio ;)