tts42

Weird Burning/playback Issue....

Question

I'm using Roxio Creater 2010 with a Windows 7 PC...

I'm a big collector of live music....So I often burn live shows to CD using Roxio to listen to in the car.

I just got a new 2013 car and when listening to my live CD's, I'm hearing gaps between tracks.

With my old car, I would listen to those same CD's and not hear gaps between the tracks....I also get no gaps when I listen on the computer....

Has anybody out there had this issue?

My old car just had a basic radio/CD player with no complex/computer features.

However, the new one has a computerized radio with bluetooth streaming, USB hookups ,etc, etc....

I'm thinking this new radio is somehow reading the CD differently and is seeing gaps.

Do you think it has anything to do with any Roxio settings? I don't see any "Disc at once" settings in Roxio Creater 2010 anywhere....

I was going to try maybe using a different burning software...Maybe Windows Media Player or something...

It's just weird that I never heard any gaps with my old car radio....And hear no gaps on my home CD player....But am getting slight gaps between tracks now in the car.

14 answers to this question

I'm using Roxio Creater 2010 with a Windows 7 PC..

Details please, your using what application in Creator 2010 to make your CD?

Correct names and a step by step from start to finish, please?

I've always just used the "Burn CD" under the audio tab....

I have concerts in FLAC format on my computer....I just add the files and burn the CD....

Have never had any issues with playback on any other player I've played the CD's in before....They play, with no gaps.

Now I play those same CD's in this new car, and there are gaps. Really weird.

Thinking is has to be something with the way the new car radio is reading the CD....

Maybe I need to try a newer version of Roxio or something to keep up with current technology in the car....

I've always just used the "Burn CD" under the audio tab....

I have concerts in FLAC format on my computer....I just add the files and burn the CD....

Have never had any issues with playback on any other player I've played the CD's in before....They play, with no gaps.

Now I play those same CD's in this new car, and there are gaps. Really weird.

Thinking is has to be something with the way the new car radio is reading the CD....

Maybe I need to try a newer version of Roxio or something to keep up with current technology in the car....

Do you see a Burn CD?

Correct names and a step by step from start to finish, please? :angry:

post-97-0-30065700-1370442184_thumb.jpg

Under the create menu....I select "Burn Audio CD".

Then I select my FLAC files on my computer to add them to the project and click the burn button.

I've never noticed any gaps in any of my live concert CD's that I've burned using this same procedure and this same program.

Now when I use those same exact CD's that had already been burned and play them in my new car, I'm getting tiny pauses between tracks.

However, I can play that same exact CD in my wifes car and it plays with no skips or pauses between tracks.

It's just really weird....Would think the pauses are either there or they aren't. Not sure why it would make a difference where I'm playing it.

All I can think of it that my new car (2013 Acadia) has some newer technology built into the radio that is causing it to read track breaks or something.

I'm really not thinking it's an issue with Roxio....But I might try a different burning software just to see what happens. Maybe I'd get a different result with Windows Media Player or something....

It's just really weird that the CD has gaps when played in my car....and it doesn't when played in other players.

Your flac files are under 80 minutes?

Red book standard for a Audio CD includes track markers but if you only add one file only that one file should be a track.

How many flac files do you add?

Why your new car plays different than other players is a question for the maker of your new car player.

I believe this is an issue with the radio in the car that for some reason is reading track gaps in all my CD's....

I even tried some officially produced live CD's that wasn't even burned by me (Def Leppard Mirrorball Live CD)....And I'm hearing tiny skips between tracks with those CD's as well......I've never noticed any skips when listening to that CD on any other players....

I'm pretty certain it's just something to do with this specific car radio. If officially released Live CD's are skipping between tracks, I doubt there is much I'll be able to do unless I burn the show as one entire big track....Which I don't want to do.

Still strange that it suddenly appears in this car.....

I believe this is an issue with the radio in the car that for some reason is reading track gaps in all my CD's....

I even tried some officially produced live CD's that wasn't even burned by me (Def Leppard Mirrorball Live CD)....And I'm hearing tiny skips between tracks with those CD's as well......I've never noticed any skips when listening to that CD on any other players....

I'm pretty certain it's just something to do with this specific car radio. If officially released Live CD's are skipping between tracks, I doubt there is much I'll be able to do unless I burn the show as one entire big track....Which I don't want to do.

I hope that you find a way for it to play like you want it to. That Acadia is a sweet looking ride!

I'm suspecting it's an issue with the car audio system. Try this. Find a commercially purchased CD that has live music, or tracks that play without any gaps on your home stereo.

Now play that same CD on your car stereo. If you hear gaps on the car stereo, there is something wrong, yes, wrong, with the way it's reading the disc. The audio CD format has not changed in any essential way since it came out. The way the data is written, the way the blocks are filled is the same, and if your car stereo is inserting these gaps (can you use a video camera to record a small section of audio with a track change and the gap you hear and post it somewhere?) then it is not playing the CD properly. If there was a problem, such as a partially filled block between tracks, you'd hear that on your home stereo too.

Let us know how you make out with that commercially produced disc.

Oops... just reread your previous post where you've already done this. So, there's definitely a problem with the car stereo.

Edited by d_deweywright

It's definitely the car audio system. I've found some other discussions about this same issue after searching around on the net some...Apparently others have run into this same issue with other types of cars and radios.

I guess I can either burn as one long track or learn to live with the tiny gaps. Quite frustrating though that this would be a problem in today's day and age...You would think this would be something that all those engineers making big bucks would iron out.

Lesson learned though....In the future, I'll test my live Cd's in the car radio before buying it....Just wasn't something that ever crossed my mind as being a potential problem.

Okay though, here's another thought. Your car system likely has a USB input, or an input for audio from another device? If you had the same music on say, an MP3 player, and you played it through your car stereo, that should play okay. It may also play differently from a USB thumb drive.

Just a couple alternatives, but yeah... that's gotta be pretty disappointing to find out the way you did.

Mirror Ball-Live & More

Def Leppard | Format: Audio CD

Mirror Ball - Live & More

Def Leppard | Format: MP3 Music

What one do you own?

Audio CD's are authored with tracks, so something sounds fishy to me.

Mirror Ball-Live & More

Def Leppard | Format: Audio CD

Mirror Ball - Live & More

Def Leppard | Format: MP3 Music

What one do you own?

Audio CD's are authored with tracks, so something sounds fishy to me.

That's a good point. We need to make sure we're talking about a true Audio CD (CDDA), not a Data CD with MP3 (or other audio format) files on it.

I own the Leppard Audio CD that is factory pressed. When played in the car, this has pauses/tiny skips in between tracks.

I have also burned FLAC music files to CD's as audio CD's (not data or mp3)....Getting same result as my store bought live CD's....So it's not a problem with Roxio.

I haven't tried playing the files through a USB source or as MP3's....I will see what happens with that.

Last night, I combined all my tracks for one show into one long track, then burned to CD...That plays fine with no gaps....Only problem is that you can't fast forward or skip tracks.