Sign in to follow this  
kma650

Toast 10 Titanium Does Not Burn To Blu-Ray Media

Question

I purchased Toast 10 Titanium new online and later on purchased the Blu-Ray plugin, I now have Toast 10 Titanium v. 10.0.9, the latest version.

When I burn data to Blu-Ray media (Verbatim 25GB blank media) using my MCE 12x BluRay burner (it has the latest firmware update) the burn takes forever (hours) and when done I get the following error message:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "filename.mov" could not be read or written.

(Error code -36)

Here's the "fun" part, I'm doing this so I can archive video files to Blu-Ray data discs, if the file I burn is a .MOV (Quicktime), it cannot be retrieved from the BluRay disc as an error message appears stating that .MOV file is unreadable. BUT, if I had also burned a .WMV file to the same BluRay disc, it CAN be retrieved later on and used with no error messages.

I've read on this forum about a possible solution involving removing key elements of Quicktime 7.7 and replacing them with elements from QT 7.6 without having to reinstall my Mac OS, but, this is fraught with danger as futzing with Quicktime could cause my OS to fail and I have to do a clean install and thus lose all my data.

Why is it that Roxio has made a product, Toast 10 Titanium for Mac OS X requiring Quicktime 7.x and yet it will not burn data to a BluRay disc even when the BluRay plugin is correctly installed?

I need help with this where I don't have to know computer code to fix Quicktime (something I'm uncomfortable with) in order to make Roxio's product work as advertised.

Here are my system's specs:

Mac Pro G5 (Model MacPro 1,1)

Two Dual Core Xeon Processors (4 cores total) running at 2.66GHz'

10GB 667MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM

Nvideo GeForce 8800GT PCIe x16 512MB

OS X 10.5.8 Leopard

MCE 12x BluRay Burner (with latest firmware update)

I'm running Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 for video editing with AJA Kona LHe video/audio I/O .

Quicktime 7.7 is installed.

You say you're burning a data disc. In that case neither the Blu-ray plugin nor QuickTime is a factor. I don't understand why you are experiencing this problem nor why disc burning should take so long. You should be using the DVD-Rom (UDF) setting in the Data window, adding the videos you want to back up, set the size indicator to Blu-ray disc and burn your disc. Did you do this in some other way?

When I use Toast 10 Titanium, I've tried burning data using "Mac only" and "Mac & PC", onto Verbatim BD-R discs (my blu-ray burner accepts these)

I just did a test burn of a very short .MOV file to Blu-Ray using DVD-ROM (UDF) option and it seems to work, could copy the .MOV file back to my HDD and it copied fine and played fine from the HDD. So I'm going to do a full burn of the full-length files and see what happens. I think the burn time will take a long time (hours) though, maybe not, we'll see.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm copying 15GB of data to a 25GB Verbatim BD-R, the blu-ray burner is capable of 12x speeds, the media is rated at 6x but the burning is running at 1x according to Toast, so I'm at 9% now since my last post was made. This is slow.

I'm copying 15GB of data to a 25GB Verbatim BD-R, the blu-ray burner is capable of 12x speeds, the media is rated at 6x but the burning is running at 1x according to Toast, so I'm at 9% now since my last post was made. This is slow.

Is this burner connected internally or externally? If internally is there more than one disc burner in your Mac Pro? If so there may need to be a master/slave setting for those two drives. One guess for the slow burning is bus communication with the drive which may be slowed down because both drives are on the same bus. This is just a guess but something to check into. Toast won't burn at a speed near the maximum for the media for a couple reasons. One is that the maximum speed can only be attained when the disc is being burned near the outer edge and the other is that the drive's firmware needs to be tuned for the specific brand of disc you are burning. When you insert the blank disc and open Toast's Recorder Settings window you should see the burn speeds that the drive claims it can burn to that specific disc. Even with those caveats, I believe my Blu-ray burning with Toast 11 starts at 1x and becomes 2x after awhile on my USB 2 Blu-ray burner. But Toast 11 is slower than Toast 10 for disc burning.

Well, I'm in the process of burning, at 40% now (!!!) and will check out what you wrote in as far as being on the same bus, master/slave, etc.

Yes, it's an internal BluRay burner, yes there is a DVD burner that came with the system when I purchased it from ProMax years ago, but that DVD drive (internal) is not being used but may indeed be on the same bus and as far as I know about computers, this MacPro G5 has only one bus with which these two drives can be connected to, or is there a secondary bus I can use for the BluRay burner? I'm more of a PC guy than a Mac guy though I've been making a living using Macs since the mid-1990's, so you'd think I'd know the answer to that question... do you know?

I'm not expert on that but my understanding is the two drives use the same bus but need different IDs which is the master/slave setting. You probably can find info by Googling or there may be information at the Mac Pro forum at discussions.apple.com or at xlr8yourmac.com. If you do find a description somewhere, please share it here.

Well my online research showed that if the whatever burner/drive is in the upper slot of the G5's case, that's the slave, but to be sure, I have to open her up and check the jumpers on the two drives though it was also stated that the DVD burner that came with the G5 is set to "cable select" at the factory, all I have to do is check the diagram on the BluRay burner case to see how it was jumpered at the factory and follow the diagram to make it "cable select" as well.

There is no dual bus system for DVD/BluRay drives but there is a choice of "cable select" and "master/slave" though I would want and do have the primary boot drive as the master on bootup, soooo I'm at 96% now and when its done, I'm going to open it up and check things out.

So it finished just now, it performed verification and came up with this error message:

"Sector 654454 is unreadable. Verification failed."

This is an error code I was getting every time I tried to burn a blu-ray disc, now its when I did the UDF burn.

So now I'm trying to copy one of the .MOV files I burned using DVD-ROM (UDF) and I get the same error message as before:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "filename.mov" could not be read or written.

(Error code -36)"

and it stops copying the .MOV file to my HDD. This is infuriating.

So I pulled out the MCE 12x BluRay burner drive and there are no jumpers to make it master/slave/cable select, so it must be a software "switch" that I have no idea how to access by System Profiler or System Preferences, this is a plug-n-play drive so there was no software to install to get it to function.

Re-looking at the Toast 10 Titanium with BluRay plugin app again...

I select "Data" and then select "DVD-ROM (UDF)" then I selected in the lower right corner "BD" instead of "DVD" and as you can see I still got the error code after 5 freakin' hours of burn time for 19GB of data. Selecting DVD-ROM (UDF) it says its for "creating a DVD video disc from a Video_TS folder or other ROM data."

If I were to select "Mac Only" it says that's for "create a data disc readable by any Mac"

If I were to select "Mac & PC" it says that's for "create a data disc readable by any Mac or Windows PC"

If I were to select "ISO 9660" it would segment my files instead of keeping them as single contiguous files

So I'm at a loss here ... DVD-ROM (UDF) doesn't seem to work with these large .MOV files... when I used "{DVD-ROM (UDF)" to burn a very small .MOV file, it worked fine but when I tried to burn 19GB of .mov and .wmv files to a 25GB BD-R, I get these two error codes:

"Sector 654454 is unreadable. Verification failed." when the disc is being verified

and

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "filename.mov" could not be read or written.

(Error code -36)" when I try to copy the .MOV files to a hard drive.

This is not rocket science, I'm doing nothing wrong here, all I should have to do is do as the Toast 10 Titanium app advises/suggests. I've burned four BD-R discs that are coasters now, this is getting expensive.

Edited by kma650

I'm sorry about all these troubles. The UDF format works best for large files. You can ignore the DVD-Rom part of the name because it is UDF. If you look up the different computer file systems such as HFS+, ISO 9660 and UDF you'll see that the latter is cross platform and should meet your needs.

I'm struggling to think of a reason the data disc didn't burn and verify properly. What brand of discs are you using?

As for the multiple drives the problems you're experiencing probably have nothing to do with the bus. Sorry I sent you down the wrong path. I just wasn't sure.

The .mov file on the disc is damaged. That's why it won't copy off it. That sector error is probably where the damage is at.

Something you could try is to choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. This will write the 25 GB disc image to the hard drive. You can then mount the resulting .toast file by selecting it with the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. Once it's mounted check to see if the .mov file can be copied and if the contents all seems to be okay. You can proceed to burn the disc image to BD-R using the Copy window. If there is a problem with the BD-R media you'll run into another failed burn, but I hope not. You shouldn't need to do the disc image first for any data disc burning, but I'm at a loss for what else to suggest.

Does the drive manufacturer recommend any media brands or report on what brands of BD-R media it has used for developing the drive's firmware?

I don't have a Mac Pro so my opinion on this is very speculative and not based on trial-and-error experience unlike most of my advice in this forum.

Well I tried your suggestion of creating a disc image then burning that to BD, guess what?

After hours of burning, this is the error message I get upon verification:

"Sector 654454 is unreadable. Verification failed."

But when I close that error message window, I receive notification from Toast that my BD is ready to use.

So I try to copy the .toast file back to my hard drive and this is the error I received:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "filename.toast" could not be read or written.

(Error code -36)"

But if I execute the .toast file on my HDD (that I had burned to the BD earlier) it mounts and I can open it and view the files inside, so the .toast file is ok but once burned to BD, it I get the aforementioned error message.

I've been working on computers since the 1980's, I've never had an app fail quite so bad as Toast 10 Titanium.

BTW, like I stated in my earlier messages, I'm using new Verbatim BD-R 25GB discs that are fully compatible with my internal MCE 12x BluRay burner.

tsantee, I'm not sure if you work for Roxio or not, but I've had this software for two years and only recently purchased the BluRay plugin for it though that plugin is necessary for creating BluRay movies on BluRay media... that this plugin is NOT necessary for copying files to BluRay media. I'm actually getting flame mail from others on the net when I say that Toast is not working, casting aspersions (by them, not you) doesn't get anyone anywhere. There are lots of people on the 'net who are having the same exact problem as me.

Go to this link and let me know what you think of this guy's solution:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/77727-problem-burning-blu-ray-video/

and this is the app he says to use to downgrade your QT version to an earlier version:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/using_pacifist_to_downgrade_quicktime.html

I haven't tried this as I'm afraid it would screw up my system if I try.

Let me know what you think.

I've never worked for Roxio. They rarely visited the forums so I started trying to troubleshoot problems because most posts were going unanswered. Over the years I've become sort of numb regarding all the things that don't work as they should. My objective isn't to fix Toast but to find a way for users to accomplish what they are trying to accomplish.

I see no reason to mess with downgrading QuickTime. Toast's use of QuickTime ended when it encoded the video and you report the mounted disc image plays fine. So the issue is with Toast's Blu-ray disc burning.

There should not have been a verification error when burning a disc from a disc image. There are cases when verification errors don't mean much because something could have changed in the source file or folder between the time it was burned and the time it was verified. But nothing can change in a disc image file.

You shouldn't be having any of this trouble.

Here's yet another thing to try: Change the .toast extension of your Blu-ray disc image to .iso. Open Disk Utility and click the Burn button. Select the .iso file. Select your Blu-ray burner and insert a blank disc. Burn it.

Toast 11 Titanium Blu-Ray burn problem is solved.

Well it's been a long and winding road... sorry for the Beatles lyric, it betrays my age. I finally found the solution to my Blu-Ray burning problem. I've been communicating with Roxio's Customer Support's "Antonio" in regards to my problems previously listed here, everything Antonio offered in the way of potential solutions did not work. Tsantee here helped as best he could (I assume Tsantee is a "he") but to no avail. On a lark and totally out of the blue (no pun intended) I decided to disconnect one of my optical drives from my Mac Pro platform. I have two optical drives in the Mac Pro, the top one is the Blu-Ray burner jumpered as "Master" and the bottom optical drive is the OEM DVD burner that came with the Mac Pro and jumpered as "Slave".

At first I tried reconfiguring both optical drives in various configurations of "master", "slave", and "cable select"... all to no avail, I continued to have Blu-Ray burn problems. So I seemed to remember reading many years ago, when I first purchased/installed the Blu-Ray burner, reading somewhere on the 'net that having two optical drives in a Mac Pro COULD cause problems, but at the time I was only burning DVDs, not Blu-Ray discs, so there were no conflicts using DVD Studio Pro authoring DVDs with either optical burner.

Like I was saying, on a lark I decided to disconnect the OEM DVD burner completely from the system, kept the MCE 12x Blu-Ray burner as "Master" and proceeded to burn a Blu-Ray DATA disc ... NOT an authored Blu-Ray movie disc ... I just wanted to burn DATA to Blu-Ray ... and voila! Success.

The "Success" came only if I create a DISC IMAGE file using Toast 11 and THEN "copy" that disc image file to a Blu-Ray disc using Toast 11 Titanium and it's been functioning flawlessly... no more error codes, no more verification errors.

Here's the "fun" part... I did this after work hours on my own time literally minutes before I was to leave on a week's vacation, you have no idea how relieved I am. This solution works whether I'm burning data to BD-R 25GB or BD-DL 50GB media.

I informed Corel Tech Support's "Antonio" about this solution, he said he's put it in his notes for future customer issues.

I'm not saying this is the problem everyone else is having burning Blu-Ray discs using Toast 11, but at least in my case it IS the solution to my particular problem.

One more thing... Corel/Toast claims (and so does their Tech Support folks) that in order to burn anything to Blu-Ray media using Toast 10 Titanium or Toast 11 Titanium, that you HAVE to purchase their Blu-Ray HD Plugin (their terminology, not mine) for $19.99. But if you drill down in their tech specs, Corel clearly states that Toast 10 & 11 Titanium can burn data to Blu-Ray natively, with no mention of needing to purchase their Blu-Ray plugin to do so.

BUT, and it's a big BUT... if you want to author Blu-Ray movie discs, then you DO have to purchase their Blu-Ray Plugin to get their nifty (not) HD quality Blu-Ray menu screens.

I made this Blu-Ray plugin "issue" clear to "Antonio" that there is no need to purchase their $19.99 Blu-Ray plugin to burn DATA to Blu-Ray media and he said I was still wrong but when I succeeded at burning DATA to Blu-Ray media WITHOUT the Blu-Ray plugin, this cleared up his misunderstanding and I'm sure to Corel's Sales Department's chagrin.

So if there's a way to get the word out as this being one potential solution, please do so. This had been dogging me off and on for two years now and that's only because I'm starting to run out of disc space on my Mac Pro's HDD's of which I have over 14TB of external HDD capacity for video editing. I'm currently offloading tons of .MOV files in 1920x1080 multi-GB size and even burning individual files to BD-DL 50GB media that exceed a BD-R's 25GB limit ... I have many files that exceed 38GB that are "master" video files of finished video products I want to archive them in their native DVCPRO HD 1080i resolution.

The ultimate acid test was for me to re-copy these burned files back to a hard drive... they have all been successfully copied back to any of my HDD's, so this solution works for me.

Good luck all.

Bert

Edited by kma650
  • Like 1

Thanks for pursuing your own troubleshooting and posting your solution. I wondered if there might be a conflict with two optical drives in the Mac Pro. My understanding is the same as yours: the Blu-ray plugin is needed only if you want Toast to author Blu-ray format video discs. It is very confusing that Blu-ray refers to both disc media and a movie-authoring format. With the Blu-ray plugin Toast can create Blu-ray video discs on standard DVD or Blu-ray media, and with or without the plugin can burn data to Blu-ray disc media. Lots of confusion comes of that.

Tsantee, just noted the "Gender: Male" in your posts, my apologies.

Right, most folks think "movie" when the term Blu-Ray is used. I'm more of a nuts-n-bolts guy and I think in terms of Data or video files, not movies.

Actually I have a Blu-Ray player at home that I've used once... I view most of my HD quality movies through streaming video, hence why I used Blu-Ray for data only.

Thanks for your help and lending your ear.

I have been reading this with interest, as I am contemplating purchase of a Blu Ray Burner for my new iMac. I have burned movies with iDVD and Toast 10 in recent years. I just got a new iMac (no DVD drive), and have succeeded in installing old iDVD to it, and using external laCie burner. Working well, but with my HD video camera, am looking at doing Blu Rays. I don't fully understand the conversation about Blu Ray burning on regular DVDs. I accept that my movies can be short (nobody else wants to see long ones), but don't understand if I have to get a Blu Ray burner too. Most of the ones available do not state support for Apple OS, although I suspect they work ok. Any suggestions? Thanks

I have been reading this with interest, as I am contemplating purchase of a Blu Ray Burner for my new iMac. I have burned movies with iDVD and Toast 10 in recent years. I just got a new iMac (no DVD drive), and have succeeded in installing old iDVD to it, and using external laCie burner. Working well, but with my HD video camera, am looking at doing Blu Rays. I don't fully understand the conversation about Blu Ray burning on regular DVDs. I accept that my movies can be short (nobody else wants to see long ones), but don't understand if I have to get a Blu Ray burner too. Most of the ones available do not state support for Apple OS, although I suspect they work ok. Any suggestions? Thanks

You only need a Blu-ray burner if you are going to burn to Blu-ray media. For instance, I just burned a Blu-ray slide show using Toast to a regular DVD disc and played it with my Sony Blu-ray player on my TV. That way I viewed the slide show in HD. So all you need to make a Blu-ray video disc is Toast's Blu-ray plugin and a DVD burner. I do suggest upgrading to Toast 11 with its Blu-ray plugin because it is written for OS 10.8 and you have a new Mac.

Thanks. I have the blu ray plug in for Toast 10 and when I tried to burn a blu ray it said there is a problem with the source material. I next saved as a disc image, and it shows up as a blu ray file. That will not burn as blu ray, but burns as AVCHD disc. I cannot see any difference between this and the regular DVD from iDVD.

I started the movie by importing highest quality files at every step, and camera was highest HD quality. Thanks for all your time on this and other Toast issues.

Thanks. I have the blu ray plug in for Toast 10 and when I tried to burn a blu ray it said there is a problem with the source material. I next saved as a disc image, and it shows up as a blu ray file. That will not burn as blu ray, but burns as AVCHD disc. I cannot see any difference between this and the regular DVD from iDVD.

I started the movie by importing highest quality files at every step, and camera was highest HD quality. Thanks for all your time on this and other Toast issues.

I don't know what is causing the problem you describe. I'll go through my process. 1) Choose Blu-ray disc in the Toast Video window. 2) Choose DVD as the media type at the bottom of the window. 3) Add the HD video to the main window and prepare the menu as I like. 4) Choose Save as Disc Image (I don't click the burn button when lengthy encoded is going to occur). Hopefully the resulting .toast file fits on a DVD. If it does, choose the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window to burn the disc. It should play in most Blu-ray players. The disc should contain a BDMV file and a CERTIFICATE folder.

• Like 1

Thanks. I will try that sequence tomorrow. When I saved as disc image, it saved a certificate and BD file. Did not see anything with .toast as file name. I'll go through it all again tomorrow and see if I can figure what I did wrong.

I did succeed in burning a DVD to Blu Ray format. (Works in my Sony BluRay player, not in my other DVD players). I was unable to burn using Blu-ray Video option in Toast 10, but used the BDMV folder option, and it worked. I had taken my iMovie file into Toast, encoded in Blu-ray Video option, save as Disk Image. I took that disk image and certificate into BDMV option, and it burned ok. Sad to say, I cannot see huge difference from the DVD just burned using iDVD. Files were mostly from Canon HF G10 at highest resolution 1920 X 1080 resolution.

Thanks for your help. I will use this technique for now, save on the Blu Ray Burner purchase.