• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Question

In the bottom part of MyDVD, there are two dropdown boxes: Disc size and Quality. How are these two coordinated?

For example, using my 1 1/2 hour video, I chose disc size=DVD 8.5GB. In the Quality box, there are 5 choices: Fit to Disc, EP, LP, SP and HQ. At what instance do I select each one?

Jess

I think you'd might want to leave it on the default-Fit to disc.According to the help files it will fit the video on the disc at the best quality for the size of the disc you choose.So,if it's a DL disc and you've only got 1 1/2 hr of video I would think it would use the HQ setting because the video would fit with no compression(or loss of quality) needed.If you moved down to a 4.7 disc it would use a different setting.I guess leaving it on Fit to Disc takes the guess work out of it.At least thats the way I read the help files.

With only 1.5 hr of video and DL media, I don't think it would much matter since the entire video should fit at the highest quality anyway.

HQ = 720X480@9Mb/s AC3 448Kb/s

SP = 352X480@6Mb/s AC3 448Kb/ss

LP = 352X480@4M/bs AC3 448Kb/s

EP = 352X240@3Mb/s AC3448Kb/s

Personally, I think you could customize the SP settings and get better quality by lowering the audio settings some. The SP and LP uses a non-square pixel setting to squeeze more. I haven't worked out the math, but guessing I think these setting roughly equal 1,2,3 & 4 hour modes.

I think you'd might want to leave it on the default-Fit to disc.According to the help files it will fit the video on the disc at the best quality for the size of the disc you choose.So,if it's a DL disc and you've only got 1 1/2 hr of video I would think it would use the HQ setting because the video would fit with no compression(or loss of quality) needed.If you moved down to a 4.7 disc it would use a different setting.I guess leaving it on Fit to Disc takes the guess work out of it.At least thats the way I read the help files.

Thanks Terry. I missed reading the part about Project Settings on the help files.

With only 1.5 hr of video and DL media, I don't think it would much matter since the entire video should fit at the highest quality anyway.

HQ = 720X480@9Mb/s AC3 448Kb/s

SP = 352X480@6Mb/s AC3 448Kb/ss

LP = 352X480@4M/bs AC3 448Kb/s

EP = 352X240@3Mb/s AC3448Kb/s

Personally, I think you could customize the SP settings and get better quality by lowering the audio settings some. The SP and LP uses a non-square pixel setting to squeeze more. I haven't worked out the math, but guessing I think these setting roughly equal 1,2,3 & 4 hour modes.

Gary,

Most of my projects runs close to 2 hours. In those cases, what settings should I choose?

Thanks.

Edited by malatekid

Thanks Terry. I missed reading the part about Project Settings on the help files.

Gary,

Most of my projects runs close to 2 hours. In those cases, what settings should I choose?

Thanks.

I don't know about the others, but if it was me, I'd use the HQ setting and output to an image file or set of video folders, then burn that using Disc copier. IMHO that gives the best quality in the end if any compression is needed. Using the Fit to Disc option in MyDVD appears to me to drop it to the next preset, not actually compress it only as much as needed.

I don't know about the others, but if it was me, I'd use the HQ setting and output to an image file or set of video folders, then burn that using Disc copier. IMHO that gives the best quality in the end if any compression is needed. Using the Fit to Disc option in MyDVD appears to me to drop it to the next preset, not actually compress it only as much as needed.

Based upon my limited use of 9 so far, I agree with Larry. It may be minimal, but I get better quality using the HQ setting, outputting to an ISO and allowing Disc Copier to fit to disc. Most likely a simply matter of opinion and likely a minimal difference in quality. Test yourself and use your own judgement.

I would agree with Larry.Set it to HQ and output to an iso file,then Disc Copier.But,like Paul said,experiment and see what's best for you.

Edited by tbrewst

......... I agree with Larry.........
I would agree with Larry.........

What?! Is there a full moon out today? :):huh::D:D

What?! Is there a full moon out today? :):huh::D:D

No but there is a touch of fall in the air. :D

As Gary stated, using a DL with 1 1/2 hours of video, it probably wouldn't make any difference. My feeling is that no matter what size disc I use, I personally have had much luck allowing DC to do it's magic. What ticks me off is that no matter what I do, Fit to Disc is checked by default and I have to continually remember to uncheck it.

No but there is a touch of fall in the air. :)

As Gary stated, using a DL with 1 1/2 hours of video, it probably wouldn't make any difference. My feeling is that no matter what size disc I use, I personally have had much luck allowing DC to do it's magic. What ticks me off is that no matter what I do, Fit to Disc is checked by default and I have to continually remember to uncheck it.

I agree with you there on that one Paul. I've been thinking what I might try doing is set up a production with the settings and themes the way I like it without any titles, then save that as my 'default' production to always start from. I'll have to try that later tonight or this weekend to see if it works. It would be nice tho if we could change the default for quality. Almost everything else you can change defaults for, like the theme. Oh well, sigh.... :huh:

What?! Is there a full moon out today? :D:D:D:D

I agree with Larry. Just thought I'd join the "I agree with Larry" :):huh::D:D:D club

I agree with Larry. Just thought I'd join the "I agree with Larry" :):huh::D:D:D club

I'm joining the "I agree with Larry" club. :D:D:D

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Jess

Edited by malatekid

Somebody has to be the bad guy :D I agree with Paul---Run some personal tests and be your own judge. :)

HOWEVER--- I think Larry has the best starting point by which to judge the other tests you make :D:huh::D

Boy, now I can sleep tonight :D

Frank....

Somebody has to be the bad guy :) I agree with Paul---
What?! You're joining Beerman's fanclub instead of mine?! Now I'm hurt :huh:

Yeah, but Paul always has some beer to get you to join his fan club :)

Frank....

What?! You're joining Beerman's fanclub instead of mine?! Now I'm hurt :)

Hey, if you've got the time, I've got the beer! (anyone else remember that commercial jingle?)

Yeah, but Paul always has some beer to get you to join his fan club :)

Frank....

Aha! Bribery. I should have known.

Hey, if you've got the time, I've got the beer! (anyone else remember that commercial jingle?)
Yes I do actually. (That's not showing my age, is it Paul :huh: )

Actually I think it was "if you've got the time,we've got the beer" but in this case I'll let a little poetic license slide by Paul.... :)

Somebody has to be the bad guy :D I agree with Paul---Run some personal tests and be your own judge. :)

HOWEVER--- I think Larry has the best starting point by which to judge the other tests you make :D:D:D

Boy, now I can sleep tonight :D

Frank....

I already belong to the "Paul" fan club....................... :huh::D

I am in both of their fan clubs. And, I want the beer right now. :huh:

How about FedEx Saturday early delivery? I think it can be there by 7:30 am. :D:D:)

How about FedEx Saturday early delivery? I think it can be there by 7:30 am. :D:D:)

I could use a truck load of beer. I will be on the front porch, if FedEx is coming. :huh:

I could use a truck load of beer. I will be on the front porch, if FedEx is coming. :)

If you get a truck load it sounds like it's party time. :huh::D

Bad news Bruce and all, FedEx won't ship alcohol so I had to do the only thing I could and keep it for myself. However, I will need more time to complete the mission but with the extra day this weekend, I promise, I will complete my task.

Yes, it is. And when you cross the pond, bring a case of Fosters, too.

I'm old enough to remember when the Fosters we purchased really came from Australia. Unfortunately, ours comes from Canada. Not bad mind you, just not the same. Boy, do I remember those cans when I was young (ok, maybe not 100% legal age) and we can get away for about 80 cents or so for a good time.