Video Quality Bad When Using Record,edit,save

JoeRnovice

Question

Transferred 8MM video using S-video cable to Dell laptop (Windows Vista) using the Roxio supplied hardware and chose the "single VHS tape to DVD option" ..... works fine (ie burned DVD-R (Memorex) similar in quality/playback to 8MM tape). When I use the feature for transferring the video using "Record, Edit, Save"....the video quality of the burned DVD-R is jumpy and the audio out of sync with video. Would prefer to use the "record, Edit, Save" feature so that I can enhance quality of video/audio before burning to DVD. Played around with Stabilize enhancement function but no success. Relatively new to the whole DVD burning process, but have over 200 hrs of old 8MM and VHS tapes that I want to store to DVD...would like to Burn to DVD with the ability to enhanec picture, color, etc....Any advise would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Please tell us about your computer via dxdiag.exe. Attach the text file to your reply. Do it this way (link) Usually Memorex DVDs are below the bottom of the barrel so I'm surprised that you haven't had issues with at least some of them. Do maintenance on your hard drive -- get rid of temp and junk files and defrag. How much free space do you have on the drive you are capturing to? Also turn off your antivirus during this work. (Disconnect from the Internet).

Clean up your hard drive; get rid of programs you no longer use, get rid of Junk and temp files, and defrag . Here are some free tools. In every case, use the direct download link.

Update the driver for your video chip if you can. Go here and let the updater update it automatically. There may not be an update because of Vista

Your CPU is just above the minimum specs. Make sure nothing else is running while doing capture.

Set your virtual memory to 1 1/2 times your actual memory. Windows give very good instruction on how to do this.

What format are you capturing to?

Edited by sknis

Not sure what you mean by format...they are 8MM tapes(i.e. played via 8MM camcorder) captured via the Roxio hardware/software to my Dell laptop....specs on laptop previously provided. Video burned to Memorex DVD - R. I will clean up hard drive, defrag, etc as you suggested and will let you know if the problem has gone away. Thx for your help to date