Hd Double Layer Dvd Will Not Play On My Dvd Recorder

Concerned15

Question

Hello, experts:

Yesterday, I installed Toast 11 on my Intel iMac, running OS 8.5. Also, I installed the Blu-Ray plug-in. Then, I burned a QuickTime movie (made by me) with Toast. (Previously, with Toast 8, I had burned a double layer DVD, and this played OK, but I wanted to see better quality, so I exported the same movie as QuickTime but with a higher resolution.) The encoding (as PAL) and the burning of this disc seemed to go OK (just like the previous one, but it took longer). However, when I came to play THIS disc, the DVD recorder/player said that the disc was not compatible, and it would not play. I ought to mention that, connecting the DVD recorder with the TV set is a SCART cable only.

Is the failure to play this disc a result of my not connecting the two machines with a HDMI cable, or is there some other cause? I would buy a HDMI cable, but as they seem to be very expensive, I need to be sure that this would bring success.

Another thing, if you don't mind telling me: if I did fit an HDMI cable, is it OK to leave the SCART cable in as well, or would it spoil the set-up?

With thanks in advance for a helpful reply,

Concerned15

3 answers to this question

It sounds to me that you are trying to play a high-definition video disc on a standard-definition DVD player. It doesn't matter if the high-definition video is on a DVD or a Blu-ray disc; it still requires a Blu-ray player in order to be read.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for replying, D.Guru. It may interest others that don't know this (I found this out only a few hours ago), that a HDMI cable between the DVD recorder and the TV set, with appropriate alterations (if necessary) made to the playback settings of the DVD recorder, produces a much better image on the TV screen, even of an ordinary DVD. I borrowed one of these cables from a friend, in order to experiment, and soon, I shall buy one of my own, as it is worth the expense. Another thing that some others may not know is that there is a free Blu-Ray player for the Mac available on the Web. I downloaded it, and it plays my HD-DVD fine! Its specific name is: Free Blu Ray Player for Mac.