• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
D & G

Encoding Problem - Takes Hours!

Question

Creator 10. Encoding my production now takes hours and almost comes to a standstill. Burning is OK. What can this be?

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Creator 10. Encoding my production now takes hours and almost comes to a standstill. Burning is OK. What can this be?

How long does it take to encode your video - video length vs hours to encode? Only with fast computers do you approach or 4 to 1. Very fast computers may approach 1 to 1for standard definition video. Since you are using a very old program - Easy Media Creator 10 - I assume that your computer is also a little old so longer times are possible. Just to make sure you are using Easy Media Creator 10 and not Creator 10.x with a 2 letter designation (link DE) and you are not using Creator 2010. Correct?

It sounds like you were able to do the encoding faster in the past. What changed? How about the format of the video you used in the past and what you are using now? The speed of the encoding, as you know depends on the speed of the computer. Tell us about yours via dxdiag.exe. Attach the text file rather than copy and paste. Read and follow these instructions (link).

The speed of encoding may also be related to the type and number of applications that load when you boot your computer. These processes take CPU but do not look like they are runnning. You can shut some of them down by going to Windows Search and typing in msconfig and then going to the start-up tab. Uncheck those that you don't need to load fast, save and then reboot. Acknowledge that you have made changes when the computer restarts. Be careful not to uncheck some items that are needed for your computer to run properly. If you are unsure, you can download the free "Soluto" software to help you decide. It is another program that starts at boot but it does clear more than it takes up. You can always delete the program and your computer start up items will return to what they were.

The last thing I'll suggest is to make sure your system is "clean" remove old programs that you no longer use (check to make sure you have them on a disc just in case you want to reload them), remove temp and tmp files and defrag your hard drive. Here are some free tools that you can download and use. NOTE and Tip: Use only the direct download line under the big download button or you may get some utilities you don't want.

That is sometimes the issue with one line questions with no background. A little more from you originally migh have speeded up the trouble shooting.

I hear what you are saying. I keep the machine clean and nothing much is running now that hasn't run before. It takes up to 3 hours now to encode 45 min video. At one time this would have been much less than a hour total. I did get a message in Roxio some time ago advising that my Video driver may be out of date so I updated it. Its hard to say if this was to blame as I use roxio once in a blue moon these days so cant put a time line on the changes/ program problems. Everything else runs fine.

The Machine is Intel core 2 Quad processor 2.4 Hz operating system is Vista. Again no problems in this area either. Its probably about time I upgraded anyway so will concider getting Creator 12 as its cheap right now. Thank for you thoughts Regards D&G

In the past, you may have been encoding from/to a similar video format; for example mpg2 to mpg2. That might go quicker. Did you ever see a gray screen with a swirl ? That screens means that the program does not need to encode parts of the video.

From your information above you have the encoding set to hardware. See if you have the options to encode using software. That may go faster.

Sorry, I don't remember how to do that in the very old version you have. Creator 2012 is a better choice than NXT for you.