• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

After Burning Successfully, Videos Keep Skipping.

noneedtoknow

Question

This happens way too ofen, and I have no idea why or how to fix it. I use perfectly fine video files, they aren't corrupted or anything, but after I convert videos to .toast files, or use toast to burn them directly to DVDs, many videos (not all) skip, or play some parts thru, then won't play the rest, and skip to the next video. Does anyone know why this is happening, and/or how to fix it? It's extremely frustrating, as you know, it can take hours to create a single .toast file, then for this to happen is unacceptable. I would appreciate any help. No opinions please, just answers from people who know what they're talking about. Thanks.

Edited by noneedtoknow

12 answers to this question

So out of millions of people, I'm the only one with this problem?

Probably not. The only thing you describe that I've encountered is the skipping to the next title. In my case that was because the source was an MPEG 2 file in which I trimmed out the commercials using Toast's editor. It seems that Toast shortens the video to one of the edit points so the workaround is to use something else (e.g. MPEG Streamclip) to edit MPEG 2 videos.

I don't know what format, resolution or frame rate your source videos are. That may have a bearing on what you're seeing. That's all I have to offer because I'm starting to express opinion.

Edited by tsantee

One standard thing to try is a different (better?) brand of blank disc. If you're using DVD-R discs, try DVD+R discs, or vice verse. Anecdotal tales suggest that Memorex discs are not worth the money. Verbatim discs have historically done well by me. Try a few different types and brands and see if one or another works better with your player/burner combination.

Probably not. The only thing you describe that I've encountered is the skipping to the next title. In my case that was because the source was an MPEG 2 file in which I trimmed out the commercials using Toast's editor. It seems that Toast shortens the video to one of the edit points so the workaround is to use something else (e.g. MPEG Streamclip) to edit MPEG 2 videos.

I don't know what format, resolution or frame rate your source videos are. That may have a bearing on what you're seeing. That's all I have to offer because I'm starting to express opinion.

I've used several video types, MKVs, then converted MKVs to MP4, AVI, MPEG, converted many file types to MP4 (and to NTSC if they aren't already) via Handbrake. Still happens. I always use either 23.98 FPS or 29.98 (I think it's 29.98) always NTSC

The resolution varies, I don't know how to tell the resolution of all, but I know some are 1080p, 720p, all the way down to sub par quality.

One standard thing to try is a different (better?) brand of blank disc. If you're using DVD-R discs, try DVD+R discs, or vice verse. Anecdotal tales suggest that Memorex discs are not worth the money. Verbatim discs have historically done well by me. Try a few different types and brands and see if one or another works better with your player/burner combination.

Actually I should have mentioned, this also happens before I burn, when I open up the .toast files in the "DVD Player" program, or VLC, or the Blu Ray Player program. I use some of the best DVD-rs, JVC Taiyo Yuden 16x.

Actually I should have mentioned, this also happens before I burn, when I open up the .toast files in the "DVD Player" program, or VLC, or the Blu Ray Player program. I use some of the best DVD-rs, JVC Taiyo Yuden 16x.

You mentioned that many of the videos skip and have the other problems you mention, but not all. I haven't encountered this myself so I'm at a loss to come up with an explanation. I do have stuttering trying to play HD videos on my MBP but that's a graphics card issue. I don't recall it happening with any standard-def videos. It's apparent to me that Toast's MPEG 2 encoder is struggling with some of your source videos. I'm presuming you're running Toast 11.1 (1072). The version can only be identified with Get Info in the Finder.

You mention converting videos with Handbrake before using in Toast. What happens if you just put the original in Toast? You've mentioned a lot of variables and that the problem is intermittent (yet frequent). I don't know what to suggest, sorry.

This might help. Here are the settings I use to make a QuickTime standard-def conversion from a HD video source before adding to Toast when I want to make a video DVD of highest quality. If you wanted to save some hard drive space choose DVCPRO25 which has 4:1 compression instead of 2:1 compression for DVCPRO50.

post-120-0-85072300-1360343354_thumb.png

You mentioned that many of the videos skip and have the other problems you mention, but not all. I haven't encountered this myself so I'm at a loss to come up with an explanation. I do have stuttering trying to play HD videos on my MBP but that's a graphics card issue. I don't recall it happening with any standard-def videos. It's apparent to me that Toast's MPEG 2 encoder is struggling with some of your source videos. I'm presuming you're running Toast 11.1 (1072). The version can only be identified with Get Info in the Finder.

You mention converting videos with Handbrake before using in Toast. What happens if you just put the original in Toast? You've mentioned a lot of variables and that the problem is intermittent (yet frequent). I don't know what to suggest, sorry.

Well if I use MKV, sometimes Toast will just stop creating the .toast file in the middle of conversion, or just shut down automatically, or just skip scenes after completing a conversion. Any other file type I leave as is usually, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and also some files I have to convert because some are PAL and some are NTSC, if I use all PAL, they convert to NTSC via Toast, but they don't convert if they're mixed, they should really fix that. I think I fixed it tho, so far so good. Since the encoding on Toast is MPEG-2, I convert all my video files to MPEG-2 beforehand, then I go to "customize" then "encoding" and put the Average Bit Rate to 2.00 Mbps, Max to 9.0 Mbps, Motion Estimation all the way up to best, select Half-PEL, reencoding, field dominance, and aspect ratio to automatic, and leave the audio as is, and so far everything has been fine. 8) This also saves a looooot of time!

• Like 1