sawtooth

Streaming Via Blu-Ray Player

Question

I use Roxio Creator 11, which came with my Dell pc (Windows 7), to convert home movies to video files and then watch them on my pc. Recently I purchased a Sony Blu-Ray disc player with Wi-Fi (model BDP-S390). I successfully use it to stream movies (Netflix) from my computer to watch on my Sony TV (model KDL-46XBR6.) My question: how do I access the movie video files stored on my Dell pc and watch them on my Sony TV, using Roxio Cineplayer, streamed via the Sony Blu-Ray? Sony's instructions are to use the DNLA features, found on both their TV and Blu-Ray player: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33278/c/65,66/p/47329,47564,70708/ The problem is that this is based on accessing video files in the Windows Media Player library. Media Player for some reason will not play most of the home movies I have converted. The compatible file types are shown at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker-file-types-faq Many thanks for any assistance!

18 answers to this question

Try a small test file using videowave to output, export, as to one of the windows media formats available.

Please tell us how that worked for you?

post-97-0-30261900-1373633566_thumb.jpg

I converted a movie file to .mp4 and was able to play it with Media Player. I have nearly a hundred movies already converted to video files that are not compatible with Media Player. What do you recommend as an alternative to Media Player? Can Cineplayer be used instead? thank you

What operating system and what version of Windows Media player are you using?

Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1 Windows Media Player 12.0.7601.17514

Your video files are in DVD format?

Do you have a DVD decoder installed?

The video files are from a DVD I copied to the hard drive: Video_TS; Video_TS.BUP; VTS_01_0.BUP; VTS_0_1_2. I think I have a decoder: I have two dvd players, one is a burner. Besides Roxio, the Dell also came with Power DVD. thank you

Since I have Roxio Creator 11, and it easily plays all of my DVDs and video files, is it safe to assume that it acts as a DVD decoder? The same is true with the Power DVD 9. Thank you.

The DLNA server is the device that sends the content. PCs running Windows 7 have DLNA built in to the operating system and Windows Media Player 11-12 can act as a media server that manages where the content is delivered and what content is accessible.

I don't think Cineplayer was designed as a media server and won't work.

I would like to take advantage of the Sony DNLA that exists in my tv and Blu-ray player. Can Media Player 12 be improved so that it matches the capabilities, including file compatibilities, of Roxio Cineplayer? Thank you.

In doing some online research I came across "Sharing Your Media Library with Roxio Streamer." It mentions "8. View files on your big-screen TV. You can also access your media directly on your big-screen TV if you have a PS3, or a TV or DVD player that supports DLNA...." Won't this provide what I'm looking for with my Sony DLNA components? It also mentions "4. Add content to your computer....To add media files to your server, you simply drag and drop them into the appropriate folder from elsewhere on your computer. The files will then be copied without disturbing the originals...." If the original video files cannot act as the server source, it appears that a significant amount of storage will be consumed copying them to the server shared media folder. I have plenty of storage, so this should not be an issue. Thank you.

I would like to take advantage of the Sony DNLA that exists in my tv and Blu-ray player. Can Media Player 12 be improved so that it matches the capabilities, including file compatibilities, of Roxio Cineplayer? Thank you.

Forget Cineplayer.

You need W-7 and Windows Media Player 12.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/12/media-streaming-with-windows-7.aspx

Thanks for the Windows Engineering blog link. Windows Media Player, Movie Maker, etc. are so primitive and limited compared to Creator 11 that I rarely use them. However, I will review them in terms of my new interest in streaming media files from my Dell pc. One experiment I will do is 1) see if MP will play a home movie on a DVD; 2) compare this result to how MP performs with the video files copied from the DVD to the hard drive: due to past experimentation, I know that most of the files on the hard drive from the dvd (listed above) cannot be played by MP or put into a library. Setting aside streaming for a moment, my question is: how do I get MP to play these video files? Thank you.

Setting aside streaming for a moment, my question is: how do I get MP to play these video files? Thank you.

Open WMP click file open, navigate to your DVD Video file, double click Video ts ifo.

1) It turns out Streamer came with my Roxio Creator 11, but is no longer supported and is browser based, so there's no point in pursuing this! 2) In WMP I selected File/Open, then selected a video folder (Video_TS), then selected the individual files (Video_TS, VTS_1_0, VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2), with Media Files (all types) selected, then hit Open. Now the WMP black Play window appears: it hangs up here for about 3-5 minutes, then the Play DVD option appears (blue window). When this is selected the black window reappears and it hangs up another 3-5 minutes. At this point nothing additional happens, or I may get a message that WMP is not responding. 3) Don't we all agree that most items that come with Windows is fairly primitive and slow, including WMP,WMM, and Media Center?

I believe Roxio NXT has streaming capability with a media server. Would this be a good upgrade from my Creator 11 and be compatible with Sony/DLNA? thank you

I don;t believe that the problem is the actual streaming but is the format of the video. I can watch all the videos that are on my computer via either a SMART TV or SMART DVD player. My equipment is Samsung so I use their "All Share" to stream over a home network. I'm sure that Sony has the same type of sharing program.

I cannot watch any DVDs with that program. If the OP extracts the VOB files and changes the extension to mpg, then the OP can watch them.

Sony has not responded to my inquiries yet, typical of their muddled customer service. In doing some research and consulting with the good folks at GeekSquad, it appears that I will need a different type of streaming device. WDTV and Roku have been suggested. Thanks for your patience and continued excellent service and practical advice.