Help With Bad Quality Burn

StevenBulifant

Question

I am trying to burn a HD DVD. My master files were recorded with Blackmagic Studio Express and from there were transferred to a hard drive. The master files look amazing but when I tried to size them down using Wondershare Media Converter I lost a lot of quality. Then when just trying to add the master files straight into toast I am getting the same thing. Then I purchase the HD plug in to see if I can bump up the quality and now I can't even get anything to playback after the burn. I am new to toast and really need to get a better product out of my burns. Thanks!

3 answers to this question

It sounds like you are trying to create a standard-definition video DVD from high-definition video. HD is nearly six times the resolution of SD so you're going to lose a lot of quality in the conversion. When you tried to make a HD DVD using Toast's Blu-ray plugin you were making a Blu-ray format video so it requires a Blu-ray player even though it is on a DVD disc.

I think you may want to look into ways to stream the HD video to your HDTV (such as with an Apple TV) or copy the original video to a USB flash drive and plug that into the USB port on your HDTV to play the video. If you only have a regular DVD player it can only play standard-definition DVD videos.

How would i go about making a very good dvd then? These DVDs are being sold and I am trying to really give the clients a great product

The one you made in Toast should have looked about as good on a TV as the commercial DVDs unless it was really long (more than two hours). How long is the video? What are the specs of the source video? (Toast describes the specs in small text when you add it to the Toast window. I do know good-quality settings to convert the video to standard definition before adding it to Toast. The result is a somewhat better-looking DVD. I'll tell you about it after I know the specs and length of your source video.

When you say the video quality was bad were you viewing it on a computer screen? If so, make sure you are viewing it in actual size rather than full screen. Remember, a standard-def video is just 720 x 480 pixels so when it gets zoomed to the full size of a computer screen it looks really soft.